Waterloo Optometry 2013 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I completely agree! 6 min was not enough time! :(
I felt like the one minute knock came too fast every time!!!
I also forgot to mention in my previous post but the round table discussion was a lot a fun too! It really pumped me up and made me want to get into optometry even more!!
Anyway, good luck to everyone! 45% chance seems pretty high to me! I had anticipated about 30%... apparently last year all of the people on the waiting list got in. Can anyone else confirm please?

Good luck to everyone on their finals! :D

Members don't see this ad.

@itsatam, I don't know exactly what you mean by feedback... Did they actually tell you what you should do to improve? Wouldn't that be a little biased considering you would still have other stations to go to? Or do you mean something like "good job"? I agree that some were pretty conversational and friendly but I don't think I got any feedback... :S

lol yeup, XRAY, I was in your group, decided to contribute to the forum after meeting you. I agree though, I was expecting 2 min prep and 8 min of talking. However, during the few times a practiced I never managed to discuss a scenario more than 4 minutes. Yet, in the actual interview, whether it be the adrenaline or what not, I ended up using the full 6 minutes every time surprisingly.

From what I heard, I think they move through roughly 10 or so people on the waiting list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks people for jumping on the forum - looks like we're starting to gather more people post interview. I gather it will be pretty quiet here till March comes.

-Updated main post with new info

However all things being considered Starling brings up a good point:

Has anyone applied to the States as well? 45% chance of getting in is pretty good. We have to also consider that some people will decline their offers as well, but best keep a back up ready.

I did apply to some school in the states. However the financial pressure is crazy. :eek: Each year tuition/living/texts/equipment expense is like 60 thousand a year. Multiply that by 4 and you have a whopping 240k debt. Contrasted to the 80k total for Waterloo, that's like a drop in the bucket in comparison.

Anybody else apply to schools in the states/ back up plans?

@CFan, yeah. One told me he didn't agree w my answer and some said "good job". I guess that's why I thought it was normal to get feedback of some sort... That's odd

@CFan, yeah. One told me he didn't agree w my answer and some said "good job". I guess that's why I thought it was normal to get feedback of some sort... That's odd
That is pretty odd... although now that you mention it I do remember one interviewer saying "i agree" at some point during the interview but I didn't get anything negative... maybe your interviewer really wanted to challenge you and test how well you can rebuttle? :p

Also, I just wanted to thank Xraychump for putting up this discussion board and updating the main post. It's so helpful! :) I'm sure it will help out a lot of current and potential applicants!! YOU'RE AWESOME!

For the most part I believe most of the evaluators are to remain neutral. However in two of my stations I did get some saying the standard , "you did great, thanks". After one of the acting stations I made a big sigh of relief and she said "you were nervous? ... you didn't look it ...and you did fabulous!"

Not sure if it was a comfort thing... or actual critique. I'm very surprised itsatam that one of the evaluators told you he didn't agree with your answer or even critique you on your answers for that matter!

Approximately one month until we hear about admissions via Quest!! I'm getting nervous!

Is it sad that I've already starting checking Quest everyday? :p

I'm just making sure...but everyone's Quest looks like this so far?:

Fall 2013 / Undergrad / Optometry / UW / Documents / OUAC Choice # (left blank)

Last edited:
Is it sad that I've already starting checking Quest everyday? :p

I'm just making sure...but everyone's Quest looks like this so far?:

Fall 2013 / Undergrad / Optometry / UW / Documents / OUAC Choice # (left blank)

Yeah, and you check the status by clicking Optometry :thumbup:

Yup :)
and the status is still "Application."
I'm super nervous as well! It's good that I have midterms keeping me busy otherwise I think I would go crazy!!! :(
Just out of curiosity, did anyone apply to anywhere else this year and did you get an interview?

Just out of curiosity, did anyone apply to anywhere else this year and did you get an interview?

I applied to Berkeley, SCCO, UHCO, Salus and Pacific as well, and got interviews at each. How about you?

No i did not actually. I only applied to waterloo this year but if they reject me i will definitely be considering the states next year after i graduate! :)

Did you go for any of the other interviews yet? If so, do you have any preferences or recommendations? I personally havent really looked into it yet but are most of the prereqs the same for the states?

Members don't see this ad :)
I only applied to Waterloo as well, so that is definitely contributing to my nervousness!

lol yeup same here, all my hopes are being placed on loo...do offers come out the 2nd friday of march or earlier?
if you're looking to apply elsewhere next year, i'd recommend SUNY and PCO. State schools in general love Canadians tho, from what i hear

The only diff b/t loo and the states is with regards to the microimmunology requirement. I believe, that loo requires a just a micro course while states require a micro course that has a lab component as well

lol yeup same here, all my hopes are being placed on loo...do offers come out the 2nd friday of march or earlier?
if you're looking to apply elsewhere next year, i'd recommend SUNY and PCO. State schools in general love Canadians tho, from what i hear

The only diff b/t loo and the states is with regards to the microimmunology requirement. I believe, that loo requires a just a micro course while states require a micro course that has a lab component as well

Thanks for your help! That's a relief because I'm in my last year of undergrad and I really don't have any room to take more pre-reqs!

With regards to the waterloo offer, I believe last year they found out on Thursday March 8th and previous years it was on a Friday so I think this year it will be on Friday March 8th. I'm so nervous! :scared:

Last edited:
Did you go for any of the other interviews yet? If so, do you have any preferences or recommendations? I personally havent really looked into it yet but are most of the prereqs the same for the states?

I just came back from Berkeley, SCCO and UHCO. With acceptances in hand already, I don't think I'll end up doing the other interviews.

The Berkeley interview was, by far, my favourite interview. It was really relaxed and FUN, which was totally not what I was expecting!

The SCCO interview was alright. There are so many things I like about the school, it's just that it is hard to compare to Berkeley's interview which I did just a couple of days before.

The UHCO interview was not the most thrilling for me. I was shown around the campus by one faculty member the entire day and was rather hoping to get a student's opinion of the school at some point. I think other interviewees may have different experiences though since I interviewed on a day where the school was mostly shut down.

In addition to my Waterloo pre-reqs, I have also done A&P I and II with labs and 2 semesters of social science courses. <Those aren't necessarily required, they're just courses I've done in my year off and to keep my brain from being stagnant!

Approximately one month until we hear about admissions via Quest!! I'm getting nervous!

Oh man. If I hadn't check the forum I would have completely forgotten about going onto Quest to check haha.

Unfortunately, I had an extremely hard time finding an optometrist that would allow me to volunteer/shadow them here in Markham... I was hoping to get in this year since I had somehow had decent marks.

So how did everyone manage to get to volunteer for an optometry? I sent out 5 CVs to 5 clinics and had negative replies (YES, my phone number was correct hahaha). Some said they had no room, others said privacy and confidentiality problems. Sigh.

Anyhow, congratulations and good luck to all! Perhaps I'll get to meet you guys next year as second year OD students welcoming first year students.

Cheers!

PS: I've taken so many lab courses... do you think they will take note of that? 16 out of my 22 courses have had a weekly 3-4 hour practical component.

Stats:
Current Education level : 3rd year H. BSc Neuroscience/Chemistry UofT Scarborough
OAT score : 370 (TS)/360 (AA)
GPA: 3.73
Optometry Experience: None
EC: organic chemistry seminars, electrochemistry research, few scholarships, Honor's list, physiotherapy assistant, etc.

Unfortunately, I had an extremely hard time finding an optometrist that would allow me to volunteer/shadow them here in Markham... I was hoping to get in this year since I had somehow had decent marks.

So how did everyone manage to get to volunteer for an optometry? I sent out 5 CVs to 5 clinics and had negative replies (YES, my phone number was correct hahaha). Some said they had no room, others said privacy and confidentiality problems. Sigh.

Anyhow, congratulations and good luck to all! Perhaps I'll get to meet you guys next year as second year OD students welcoming first year students.

Cheers!

PS: I've taken so many lab courses... do you think they will take note of that? 16 out of my 22 courses have had a weekly 3-4 hour practical component.

Stats:
Current Education level : 3rd year H. BSc Neuroscience/Chemistry UofT Scarborough
OAT score : 370 (TS)/360 (AA)
GPA: 3.73
Optometry Experience: None
EC: organic chemistry seminars, electrochemistry research, few scholarships, Honor's list, physiotherapy assistant, etc.

I think you are pretty solid on the marks. As for volunteering, I sent out SO many CVs before I heard back from anyone. I was also lucky enough to have done coop in high school with my optometrist. What I would recommend would be to go in person (if you haven't already). Keep trying! Sorry its not much help, but good luck!

So how did everyone manage to get to volunteer for an optometry?

My optician whom I've know for more than 10 years recommended me to an optometrist and I asked her at my eye examination if I could shadow her. I brought in my resume and coverletter of course and she told me she would contact me within 2 weeks. I had to actually call her back after 3 weeks because she had been really busy and totally forgot about it. But ever since then she has let me shadow/volunteer with her. :)

Do you have a family optometrist that you have gone to before? I think if you ask him/her during an examination, they might be a little nicer to you? Otherwise try asking around to see if you may know someone who knows someone who's an optometrist. Sorry to make it seem like its all about connections but it might help to network a little.

Good luck to you! :thumbup:

Well this is the week we have all been waiting for....

We've all worked extremely hard to get this far. Think about the countless hours of OAT study, volunteering, undergraduate grinding, application writing, extreme forum lurking you have done to get to this point! You should be proud of yourself!

I just wanted to mention as courtesy that if you are deciding to decline your offer, please post on the forum so it may give those on the waiting list an opportunity to see how the list is coming along.
According to previous years, if you are on the waiting list you are informed of which position you are in line for acceptance.

Updated main post to reflect the courtesy!

Good Luck Everyone! Break a leg!

For those of you who are waitlisted do not be sad! Our class this year exhausted the waitlist! So your chances of getting in are still high. But this will vary each year depending on the applicants. Good luck to everyone! We are looking forward to meeting all of you and can't wait for you to join the optom community! :)

Last year, people found out on the 8th, the second Thursday of the month. I sure hope we get notified on the Thursday closest to the 8th (so the 7th) and not the 14th!

Last year, people found out on the 8th, the second Thursday of the month. I sure hope we get notified on the Thursday closest to the 8th (so the 7th) and not the 14th!

And previous years they found out on the first Fridays of March... but at this point I think it could be any day. this week.

Good luck to everyone! This has been an amazing experience for me and I am praying for the best. Thanks to everyone here for the support. I will be frantically checking this forum and quest every day from now on!

Looking forward to hearing some good news! :)

For those of you who are waitlisted do not be sad! Our class this year exhausted the waitlist! So your chances of getting in are still high. But this will vary each year depending on the applicants. Good luck to everyone! We are looking forward to meeting all of you and can't wait for you to join the optom community! :)

Thanks! Its good to know for those waitlisted that the chances are so high!! :)
Do you know if the waitlisted, accepted and rejected people all find out on the same day?

Thanks! Its good to know for those waitlisted that the chances are so high!! :)
Do you know if the waitlisted, accepted and rejected people all find out on the same day?

I believe 20 people got waitlisted in our year. They went through the whole list plus an additional two people. The previous year only went through about 10 people on their list.

Our class (2016) received news on Quest early afternoon on Thursday, March 8th. Only accepted people found out at this point. The next morning (Friday), the official e-mails were sent out and people who were waitlisted were notified and were given their position on the waitlist. I'm not sure if rejected people received letters on the Friday.

Thanks cbapatte, updated main post with your helpful info!

Thanks cbapatte, updated main post with your helpful info!

Admissions is meeting this wednesday for applicant selection........ DUN DUN DA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! best of luck to all of you who are applying!

Admissions is meeting this wednesday for applicant selection........ DUN DUN DA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! best of luck to all of you who are applying!

OMG WHAT?! I thought decisions were already made and we are just waiting for quest updates! Will we still get our results this week? This is soo nerve wracking! I wish they had told us a set date... :scared:

Thanks for the good luck. Crossing my fingers for good news... :)

Last edited:
I think todays the day... So nervous couldnt sleep at all last night :(

I am so nervous and anxious, I can not handle the suspense!

Same! Im sitting in class and i can't focus!! Good luck!

I am so nervous and anxious, I can not handle the suspense!

Yesterday the view count for this thread was around 9900, today it is at 10400. Less than 24 hours there have been 500 views. Scroll down to the bottom and you can see how many people are currently watching this thread. Currently it's 18!

I don't think you're alone when it comes to being nervous or anxious.

Good luck everyone

I noticed that too, very funny. I know I'm checking every 10 mins lol.

I did not notice that! Im too scared to check quest in class!!!
Im just gna wait till someone posts the good news before i check!
Hopefully someone here will see some action on quest today! :)

seriously, they should have given us a time and day for our notification... gonna lose it soon!!

good luck everyone <3

Is it just me or does this feel like the longest day ever?

1:51 EST - Quest has yet to update...

lol yah, worst thing is is that I have an exam to study for but I can't concentrate because of this

Is it just me or does this feel like the longest day ever?

Haha it's true!!

I think if by 4:30-5 pm we don't see any updates on Quest then it'll have to be tomorrow. I want to know but at the same time I don't..... so nerve-wracking :(

Anyways I hope everyone gets good news!!! :luck:

Haha it's true!!

I think if by 4:30-5 pm we don't see any updates on Quest then it'll have to be tomorrow. I want to know but at the same time I don't..... so nerve-wracking :(

Anyways I hope everyone gets good news!!! :luck:

Well Nothing at 5:30 so I think it will have to start tomorrow...or will they leave us in suspense over the weekend? Ahh!

Good luck!

Hey guys! Just a quick question. When you log onto Quest and it opens to the Student Center page, previously I thought it only had a tab for "Admissions". But yesterday three more tabs appeared with "Academics", "Finances", and "Personal Information".

Were these always present/ did they appear for everyone else too??

true, didnt notice that, those just appeared for me too today

hey! not sure if those was always there, but those tabs are currently on my quest account too!

Hey guys! Just a quick question. When you log onto Quest and it opens to the Student Center page, previously I thought it only had a tab for "Admissions". But yesterday three more tabs appeared with "Academics", "Finances", and "Personal Information".

Were these always present/ did they appear for everyone else too??

They were always present!