WCVM/ UCVM c/o 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations to all of you who got accepted into UCVM and WCVM. I still remember the day I found out that I had been accepted - it's a great feeling. For those who didn't get in don't give up, I applied numerous times before being accepted to WCVM.

On a side note there are a couple of you who mentioned you are looking for a place to live in Saskatoon - send me a message if you have questions as I have a room available for the upcoming year. I will be in my 4th year and so will my other roommate.

Hey groffoo, I was under the impression that the housing list would include students with rooms to rent. If not, then what exactly is the housing list?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey groffoo, I was under the impression that the housing list would include students with rooms to rent. If not, then what exactly is the housing list?
Hi ianyniu, the housing list will include students with rooms to rent as well as places vet students have rented before and some places that professors rent out.

For those of you who are going to WCVM, what do you guys plan on doing for living arrangements? I'm waiting for that housing list that is supposed to come out early July, but as of right now I think I'm leaning towards living in the graduate house residence.
I am also waiting for the housing list, though I feel the same towards the graduate house residence.

I'm thinking graduate house residence as well... At least for the first year.

Members don't see this ad :)
For you UCVMers, the Accept/Decline button on student center is up now! I'm sure you've already paid your $200 and handed in that form, but just in case we also need to click that on the student center!

Reactions: 1 user
@Capucinus I think I might have messed up..I originally had registered for Fall and Winter courses because I didn't think I would get into Vet, and then the Accept/Decline button came up and I clicked that. Then I saw that $6000ish fees per term I had to pay and was like cool those amounts look right. I then went to drop my Fall and Winter classes and now I have $0.00 for fees, and I checked Enrollment Shopping Cart and I don't have any vet med courses in there. Is this sort of what your student center looks like? Or should I talk to Janet/Enrollment Services

Hey @DPolaris when I checked my student center yesterday I also had the accept/decline button and when I clicked on it it took me through a series of conformational clicks where I accepted the program...then the small box at the bottom of my main page is now has a solid green check-mark and I can no longer click on it.

I am a former UofC student - but I finished all my classes last year so my student center has been blank since then in terms of owing fees etc. That is still blank - saying I owe 0.00$ So I don't have any fees showing being owed, and I think that makes sense because we haven't yet enrolled in any classes. So it sounds like our student centers are exactly the same at this point.

On the right hand side of my student center from the main "dashboard" page under the blue "Enrolment Dates" box it says that I can begin to register for classes for the FALL 2015 session on 2015 July 27. That is the only thing that has changed.

I haven't heard anything from UofC nor have I gotten a welcome package (I also noticed we still don't have a FB page) so maybe the welcome party is slow at rolling out this year!

Hello!

I really need help with a pre-req course. For UCVM can a humanities course (with a strong writing+reading component) be substituted for the english pre-req?

I'm not too sure about that, but I think it'll have to be an English course specifically! I'd email admissions to make sure though!

Hey @DPolaris when I checked my student center yesterday I also had the accept/decline button and when I clicked on it it took me through a series of conformational clicks where I accepted the program...then the small box at the bottom of my main page is now has a solid green check-mark and I can no longer click on it.

I am a former UofC student - but I finished all my classes last year so my student center has been blank since then in terms of owing fees etc. That is still blank - saying I owe 0.00$ So I don't have any fees showing being owed, and I think that makes sense because we haven't yet enrolled in any classes. So it sounds like our student centers are exactly the same at this point.

On the right hand side of my student center from the main "dashboard" page under the blue "Enrolment Dates" box it says that I can begin to register for classes for the FALL 2015 session on 2015 July 27. That is the only thing that has changed.

I haven't heard anything from UofC nor have I gotten a welcome package (I also noticed we still don't have a FB page) so maybe the welcome party is slow at rolling out this year!

Awesome, I guess we'll see what happens when we get our package and get registered for courses

Hello!

I really need help with a pre-req course. For UCVM can a humanities course (with a strong writing+reading component) be substituted for the english pre-req?

The only way to know for sure is if you ask Vet Admissions directly, be prepared to offer up the course description and course syllabus for review...but they will likely say that you need to take the English class.

Well, now that I'm starting the super fun task of trying to find a place to live (sarcaaaaasm) I'm having a really hard time deciding whether I should try to find a place to live alone, or if I should be looking for roommates.

On the one hand, I know no one in Saskatoon so originally I had wanted to find a place with roommates so I didn't feel alone. But the more I'm looking around I'm starting to think maybe I would be happier going home at the end of the day and just having some time by myself, as I'm definitely am the type of person who likes to have alone time and I know that most school days are jam packed with stress. Of course living alone means I would have a significantly higher rent, so that's another thing to consider.

I was wondering if any other current vet students, or future vet students, could share their opinions or experiences on what sort of living arrangements you had during vet school and whether you think it's beneficial to try and live by yourself or with fellow vet students (obviously this is going to be different for every individual, just interested in getting a little outside perspective ;) )

Well, now that I'm starting the super fun task of trying to find a place to live (sarcaaaaasm) I'm having a really hard time deciding whether I should try to find a place to live alone, or if I should be looking for roommates.

On the one hand, I know no one in Saskatoon so originally I had wanted to find a place with roommates so I didn't feel alone. But the more I'm looking around I'm starting to think maybe I would be happier going home at the end of the day and just having some time by myself, as I'm definitely am the type of person who likes to have alone time and I know that most school days are jam packed with stress. Of course living alone means I would have a significantly higher rent, so that's another thing to consider.

I was wondering if any other current vet students, or future vet students, could share their opinions or experiences on what sort of living arrangements you had during vet school and whether you think it's beneficial to try and live by yourself or with fellow vet students (obviously this is going to be different for every individual, just interested in getting a little outside perspective ;) )

Hey Sunny,

I haven't lived with any fellow vet students, but have lived with other students. Some have been great, others not so much - despite being friends of friends!

My only advice to you would be to choose wisely. Many of my classmates, and people of other years may say this too, had a very hard time living with another classmate. It's true, you are going through the same issues, and studying for the same exams, but you will never be able to escape them. Some of my classmates have done well living with people in different years however. You would always have someone who's been through it that can give you advice, and maybe calm you down when exam time hits.

You can choose to live on your own for a year as well, and maybe find a classmate that you think you would be compatible living with. It's hit or miss! It can be good, or it can be really bad!

Hello all. Long time lurker, first time poster. I have also been accepted into WCVM this year :)

Last year, I was living with a first year and third year student. The first year student had considered getting a place of her own, but as the year progressed, she said she was happy to have roommates to keep her from doing nothing but studying. When I moved to Saskatoon, I had never lived with roommates before, and was convinced I was going to find a place on my own. But, due to financial reasons I decided to share a house with roommates. I like the fact that I can socialize with my roommates while in shared spaces, but retreat to my own room if I want to hole up. Then again, I think the right roommates do make all the difference.

If anyone is looking for a place in Saskatoon, PM me as we are looking for roommates for our house. Because I'm a first year, I didn't get the call for housing ads and my third year roommate missed it as she wasn't able to access email at the time, so our listing didn't go out with the housing list. I also know of a couple people in town who are looking to rent out basement suites to single students, so can pass along that information as well.

Hey mw58, is your place pet friendly? I've found so far that this has been a big deciding factor for me, a lot of places work for me but not for my feathered friend! :(

If you know of any pet friendly places available I would definitely be interested in the info! :D

Hey mw58, is your place pet friendly? I've found so far that this has been a big deciding factor for me, a lot of places work for me but not for my feathered friend! :(

If you know of any pet friendly places available I would definitely be interested in the info! :D

Hi SunnyAntia. I'll PM you.

I agree with Leilafay.. As much as I love my classmates, I would never want to live with any of them because you are literally together every day and go through the same stressors at the same time. I know a couple classmates that lived together in first year and have since decided it wasn't for them. I also have some classmates that started out living with non-classmates and have now found people within my class that they believe they can live well with. So it goes both ways and is definitely a preference/tolerance thing! I know lots who live with other vet students in different years, though. As Leilafay mentioned, you don't see a lot of the other years (not even close to the extent of your own classmates) so it's harder to get "sick" of one another and you can always help each other out because you know what each other is going through (which you'll soon find out is hard to explain to people not in vet school)!

Hey guys, I thought I'd post something on here in case anyone is interested/looking for a place.

I am a 2nd year vet student at the WCVM. My 2 other roommates, who are also 2nd year vet students, and I are currently looking for a first year vet student to live with us. The duplex we are currently interested in renting out has: 4 large bedrooms, 4.5 bathrooms, 3 floors, a patio, and a fenced backyard etc.. If any of you are interested in living with some bubbly 2nd years, do PM me to discuss further details associated with the property!!

Thanks!

Anyone receive their orientation "package" or whatever yet? Also student loan applications are open! Feels like school's coming soon eek

Anyone know what textbooks we should get for UCVM? I was told to get the anatomy textbook (Dyce), the anatomy flashcards for studying, the anatomy coloring book if you study better that way, the histology book, and finally for physiology we should get Cunningham's instead of Duke's.

I heard the clinical skills book isn't really necessary, and dissection of dog is optional.

Anyone hear anything different? Thanks!