weight loss/workout routines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"If the furnace is hot enough, anything will burn."

Members don't see this ad.

Originally Posted by panetrain
There are no secrets to loosing weight and keeping it off. Lean diet will ALWAYS = LEAN body. I count calories, which requires me to know exactly how many calories are in everything I consume. There are plenty of online resources to identify the caloric content of most foods if they are not already labeled. My goal every day is to limit my caloric intake to 500 (approx. five 100 cal mini meals) calories until dinner, which it typically at 6-8PM. I will then consume a dinner of 1000 calories and go to bed before I get hungry again. Dinners out, happy hours, movies, club/bar nights, vacations etc...are difficult. I will typically not eat anything all day, allowing me to consume roughly 1500 cals during these activities.

I'm not going to sugar coat this routine, it's hard as hell!!! I also lift hard core weights 6 hours per week and I'm 6'2''. I'm convinced that 99.99999% of people are simply eating WAY TOO MUCH and as a result will always be WAY TOO FAT!!! Life is too short to spend in a fat body, why not spend it in a beach worthy body. No food satisfies me like feeling 100% confident shirtless at the lake, pool, beach, locker room, anywhere I feel like it.... A 6'2'' highly active man can thrive on 1500 calories/day.:D
Oh hell yeah. To quote Kate Moss, "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"!
edit, didn't see the video before posting this, I guess the poster above beat me to it.

I did not mean my post as a chastisement of any calorie-restricting diet. I actually was sincere about being supportive of Kate Moss' statements about "skinny" and severe calorie restriction.

It may not be the politically correct stance, but I live that way and so do highly efficient muscle machines (aka competitive athletes). Tour de France competitors for instance will severely restrict calories to the point of almost appearing anorexic because of the increased competitive advantage that being light conveys.

It should not be derogated to the level of an eating disorder, because it is not one and it is common practice within certain healthy and athletic groups.

Last edited:
maybe one day it will be classified as an eating disorder. i personally don't think it's healthy to restrict caloric intake to the point where you're not eating anything all day just so that you can go out drinking later that night. To each their own, but i don't think that's healthy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although couples of studies did end up showing a certain amount of calorie restriction might be able to prolong life expectancy...at least in rats, monkeys, etc. I think they are running a trial on human volunteers now (just read the article in Feb issue of Times magazine).

each pound is 3500 cal. you have to burn or not eat that amount to loose a pound in general.
portion control is key.

Being consistent is the key to weight loss. Many years ago I read Dan Duchaine's underground body opus, it is the one of the most brutal, and effective dieting techniques there is. It is a good read. The body opus is not suitable for the average person, but you can really tighten up fast using it. It's CKD by the way

Being consistent is the key to weight loss. Many years ago I read Dan Duchaine's underground body opus, it is the one of the most brutal, and effective dieting techniques there is. It is a good read. The body opus is not suitable for the average person, but you can really tighten up fast using it. It's CKD by the way

chronic kidney disease? i'll pass . . .

just get one of those tapewarms or parasites and you'll lose weight quickly and won't have to restrict your caloric intake.

Just had a comprehensive physical with labs for my disability insurance underwriting and I would love to compare my numbers with yours bro, including vitals, BMI, % body fat, abs, bi's, tri's, lats whatever....

maybe one day it will be classified as an eating disorder. i personally don't think it's healthy to restrict caloric intake to the point where you're not eating anything all day just so that you can go out drinking later that night. To each their own, but i don't think that's healthy.

Hahaha...I like how everyone is ignoring the big ass elephant in the corner of the room - GENETICS!!!! All your quotes and suggestions are all good and gravy, but you can trace all that back to genetics. Yes, those little strands of chemical elements dictate how hungry you get, how fast your metabolism is, and sadly enough how fit your ever gonna get. Thanks pops!
You ever see that douche-bag that gets to eat whatever he wants and whenever he want, and still looks like a polo ralph lauren model, mhmmm...genetics!
I agree with all the suggestions and advice so far, except Panetrain's (horrible, horrible advice...I am a supporter of modest caloric restriction but not as a way to achieve a "beach bod"). So many people find that they work so hard to achieve something and are not any happier because of it. Focus on eating healthy and staying physically active (no extremes), in order to achieve a healthy lifestyle. No amount of sweat or calories burned can substitute for happiness. just my $0.02...

I don't see how an extra 40 lb's of lard on my body would make me happier:smuggrin:. Most people are unhappy with their bodies, probable over 95%:eek:. I happen to fall into the 5% minority who are happy and even mega stoked with the way I look:laugh:. If you have a better way of achieving 6% body fat I'm all ears;). I have a clean bill of health. 100% normal labs. Resting heart rate of 54 bpm. No prescription meds. Never needed surgery etc.... It's perplexing that people educated in the medical sciences would find fault with my lifestyle? :confused:

Hahaha...I like how everyone is ignoring the big ass elephant in the corner of the room - GENETICS!!!! All your quotes and suggestions are all good and gravy, but you can trace all that back to genetics. Yes, those little strands of chemical elements dictate how hungry you get, how fast your metabolism is, and sadly enough how fit your ever gonna get. Thanks pops!
You ever see that douche-bag that gets to eat whatever he wants and whenever he want, and still looks like a polo ralph lauren model, mhmmm...genetics!
I agree with all the suggestions and advice so far, except Panetrain's (horrible, horrible advice...I am a supporter of modest caloric restriction but not as a way to achieve a "beach bod"). So many people find that they work so hard to achieve something and are not any happier because of it. Focus on eating healthy and staying physically active (no extremes), in order to achieve a healthy lifestyle. No amount of sweat or calories burned can substitute for happiness. just my $0.02...

I don't see how an extra 40 lb's of lard on my body would make me happier:smuggrin:. Most people are unhappy with their bodies, probable over 95%:eek:. I happen to fall into the 5% minority who are happy and even mega stoked with the way I look:laugh:. If you have a better way of achieving 6% body fat I'm all ears;). I have a clean bill of health. 100% normal labs. Resting heart rate of 54 bpm. No prescription meds. Never needed surgery etc.... It's perplexing that people educated in the medical sciences would find fault with my lifestyle? :confused:

Its funny you mention all your stats because I have very similar figures: 6'2, 195, muscular, body fat 7.8% (last time i checked a month ago), and I've been this way since Lord knows when. I was an athlete in high school and college and never went to the extreme lengths you're going to, to achieve any of those stats. I watch what I put in my mouth and play bball or run 3-4x a week, with a mix of weightlifting. Goes back to my genetics arguement - thanks pops. I will not argue that I am very fit right now, because I know what I could achieve back when I was 18, 19, 20 (the glory days...running 2 miles in 12min every other day before soccer practice)
You are seeking happiness in something that is not going to be long-lasting...i hate to disappoint you but your metabolism WILL catch up to you, and then what?

Genetics is a part but clearly not everything. Our genetics hasn't changed in the last generation but our collective weight and body fat certainly has. Genetics makes for a convenient excuse, and leaning on that won't help your patients any. Epigenetics however is more a player, which we have more control over.

Genetics is a part but clearly not everything. Our genetics hasn't changed in the last generation but our collective weight and body fat certainly has. Genetics makes for a convenient excuse, and leaning on that won't help your patients any. Epigenetics however is more a player, which we have more control over.

Speaking my language.

I don't care what your genetics are, if you were dumped in the middle of the Sahara desert and abandoned for a month with nothing but water, your body will use fat for energy (initially) and then protein...regardless of your "genetics". You will lose weight.

Furthermore, you can actually silence genes for DM2 with a consistent lifestyle of moderate exercise and calorie restriction.

Just had a comprehensive physical with labs for my disability insurance underwriting and I would love to compare my numbers with yours bro, including vitals, BMI, % body fat, abs, bi's, tri's, lats whatever....

this isn't a pissing contest dude. you probably are very fit, but how long will your body last before you become malnourished. Also I doubt that it's healthy to not eat anything during the day if you plan on going out drinking that night, if you think that is healthy than your thinking is warped and you might be bordering on anorexia.

If that's you in your avatar, then yeah, you're cut. But you're also built like a swimmer. You're 6'2" and what, 160-170? You cannot build muscle mass on 1500 cals/day. And you eat 1k calories, and then go straight to sleep?

While I agree we are a nation (world?) of fat lazy slobs, ironically you don't come off as very confident. I keep a healthy lifestyle and wear the same sizes now as in college, but I can't feel your obsession. 100 cal mini meals? What the Hell is that, a piece of paper with some salt on it? And 1500 calories a day; man, I can kill that in 15 minutes with a good dessert.

Moderation is the key. Know when to say when and find a long term routine you won't quit on. My numbers are all in an extremely healthy state like yours, but no way in Hell am I parting with my occasional 1300 calorie snack size pint of Ben and Jerry's. In fact, there's a HalfBaked down at the corner Chevron I can hear calling out my name right now.

Funny post...LOL :laugh:

Well.....just buddy buddy up to some Plastics attending, and have him give you free lipo :idea:

Jk of course...15-20 minutes of intense running (6 min miles) will definitely do the trick.

Bully for you if this routine works for you but I think it stinks. It has an alarming absence of beer and pizza.

Seriously, this routine just isn't reasonable for almost everyone else. I watch what I eat, exercise regularly and eat some greasy food when I feel like it. I'm not miserable and I don't worry about anything when I take my shirt off.

There are no secrets to loosing weight and keeping it off. Lean diet will ALWAYS = LEAN body. I count calories, which requires me to know exactly how many calories are in everything I consume. There are plenty of online resources to identify the caloric content of most foods if they are not already labeled. My goal every day is to limit my caloric intake to 500 (approx. five 100 cal mini meals) calories until dinner, which it typically at 6-8PM. I will then consume a dinner of 1000 calories and go to bed before I get hungry again. Dinners out, happy hours, movies, club/bar nights, vacations etc...are difficult. I will typically not eat anything all day, allowing me to consume roughly 1500 cals during these activities.

I'm not going to sugar coat this routine, it's hard as hell!!! I also lift hard core weights 6 hours per week and I'm 6'2''. I'm convinced that 99.99999% of people are simply eating WAY TOO MUCH and as a result will always be WAY TOO FAT!!! Life is too short to spend in a fat body, why not spend it in a beach worthy body. No food satisfies me like feeling 100% confident shirtless at the lake, pool, beach, locker room, anywhere I feel like it.... A 6'2'' highly active man can thrive on 1500 calories/day.:D

Cardio exercises are more effective for the weight loss purposes.
Do some jogging, running, swimming, or cycling etc. in your routine workout to burn your extra fat and control you weight gain.

adamprowse fitness trainer

Last edited: