Well...this is depressing

Gigantron

Robot
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I scored a 1580/2400 on my SAT's that I took December 5th. I had made a thread earlier that had asked you guys to chance me for BS/MD programs, while stating that my PSAT and Diagnostic ACT scores were 210 and 29 respectively. Not sure what happened there...

Well, I might as well kiss any chance of getting into a BS/MD program goodbye. Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll get into a BS/DO program.

I'm taking the SAT's again along with taking the ACT's twice this year. Not sure how I'll be able to improve when I can't even afford any kind of tutoring (really expensive over here). Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you go to college? Then, after you graduate, go to med school.

Yeah, man.. you'd be surprised how different your expectations and plans for the future change over those four years. You're what.. 17.. 18? Experience life where your tracks are already in place. Almost (again.. almost) everyone alters what they thought they want as a career in highschool by the time undergrad is done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, definitely just go to college, and follow the "traditional" route to getting into med school. That's the method I'd recommend anyway.

Yeah, definitely just go to college, and follow the "traditional" route to getting into med school. That's the method I'd recommend anyway.

I'm gonna fourth (or fifth) that response. The thing is, you're quite young, so university and med school seem like huge blocks of time. But together (with residency), it's going to be like 12 years. You'll be ~30 when you're done. Yeah, that's kind of old, but then you'll have 35+ years to be a full on doctor. So, there's not much difference between 35 and 37 years. Take your time! Enjoy college!

You 29 ACT MIGHT get you in if everything else is near perfect. Your SAT scores just wont cut it, your better off retaking to try to get into one of those programs or you will have to go the way 98% of the students do...by applying 4th year college.

Thanks for the advice guys, but I REALLY want to go to one of these programs. Right now...I'm starting to think Howards BS/MD program and NYIT's BS/DO programs are the only programs that would accept me...and that's if I do great with everything else.

Then again, if I decide to go to a four year college, I would already have acceptances if I decided to apply to their BS/MD or DO programs because I would usually have to apply, and get accepted, by the undergrads first. But I still want to do a BS/MD program so...

:(

Howard won't take those numbers they have a 1950/2400 minimum. Most BS/DOs want a 1200/1600 minimum for CR+M. My program NSU has a sliding scale 28 ACT with a 3.8, 29 with a 3.5 and 30 with a 3.3 for the 3+4. For the 3+4 a 24, 25, 26 with those same grades. However I've yet to meet anyone lower than a 1290/1600 and that student was number 12 out of 800 at a good public school. I'm near the 4+4 program average with a 1340 CR+M and some people have turned down Harvard and UChicago as well as Drexel BS/MD to come to Nova for Dental or Osteopathic Medicine. A 29 ACT with a great GPA >3..7 unwieghted might be competitive. The University of Hartford has a significantly less competitive program a 1000/1600 is the minimum. However don't confuse minimums with the accepted averages.

NYIT's program is VERY strict about having at least a 600 on both math and reading.

NYIT's program is VERY strict about having at least a 600 on both math and reading.

A 1200 600/600 is noncompetitive. Most programs want a 1300 MINIMUM. Most competitive applicants will have a much higher SAT with a near perfect GPA. Raise the SAT or do well on the ACT. Otherwise there is really no chance.

How can you do so drastically different on the SAT and PSAT? It's almost like they had no correlation. 1500/2400 is like 500 on each section and 210/240 averages around 700 a section. Just send your ACT.

Yeah, on that note, I'd even consider a good community college (yes, there are some), that possibly has an honors program as well and has strong sciences. This can make the OP eligible for fantastic scholarships not open for those who start in a 4 year. Schools love high-achieving CC students from good programs.

I'm worried about the pat you say you can't even afford tutoring at this moment. College is like a lot more expensive than SAT private classes. Any plans on scholarships to not having to graduate over 300,000 dollars in debt? It's even possible you miht not graduate MD and still owe 200,000 dollars you may never be able to pay back. Also keep that in mind and talk to your parents about that.

SAT tutoring is overrated anyway. Buy a $20 prep book and do every problem. Paying for an SAT prep class is most useful for those who don't work unless pushed.

If the OP works his SAT up to 1700+ he'd probably be able to get into his state school if it's not one of the more competitive publics. Not to mention that the 210 PSAT might be able to qualify for National Merit and schools do offer scholarships to NM scholars.