we're sorry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sella turcica

cerebrogenesis imperfecta
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
didn't match. SOAPing now. This is hell.
edit: what are "c" and "r" programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear. I went through same thing last year. PM me if you have any questions.

C programs are usual PGY-1 positions for 2013.
R positions are advanced spots (PGY2) that start in 2013. Unless you already have a PGY-1 completed, you will not qualify for them

So only people that already matched to prelim spots can soap into advanced spots?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

So only people that already matched to prelim spots can soap into advanced spots?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile
Yes. If you have matched for a prelim, then you can't apply to categorical positions but can apply to advanced positions.

If you didn't match at all, then you can SOAP into any type of spot.

anyone know any possible way to find out programs who didnt match or programs who are not participating SOAP?

Would it hurt to just use the same Personal Statement that I used for ANES. I have to SOAP, and I am looking at a number Transitional Years, Prelim Medicines, and maybe a few other specialities.

Would it hurt to just use the same Personal Statement that I used for ANES. I have to SOAP, and I am looking at a number Transitional Years, Prelim Medicines, and maybe a few other specialities.

For categorical specialties it's probably worth the trouble to try to change your PS. For TYs and Prelims it's unnecessary.

For categorical specialties it's probably worth the trouble to try to change your PS. For TYs and Prelims it's unnecessary.

Think prelim OB should get a new PS as well?

Won't programs just ask what we tried to match into and then find out that we didn't try for their specialty initially anyway?

Well, I just submitted my application, 30 spots. I guess they'll either call me or email me to set up phone interviews or something before Wednesday.

Interestingly enough some spots opened up on the unfilled list but had an asterisk "not participating in SOAP" next to them. One was at my home institution and I called to ask what was kosher about that. They said those programs can't discuss anything with applicants until after Friday's final SOAP round is over. That makes sense. So... therefore I assume it's kosher to call all of these "not participating in SOAP" programs on Friday (right?).

By the way, it appears that two programs at my home institution snubbed me, they were my #1 and 2 choices and I got a great vibe from them at the interviews. I'm pissed.

has anyone heard from any of the programs yet they applied to through ERAS SOAP?

Iirc from last year most programs in the soap spent most of Monday downloading apps and then made calls Monday evening and Tuesday. So don't freak out if you don't hear immediately.

Good luck to everyone soaping.

Well, I just submitted my application, 30 spots. I guess they'll either call me or email me to set up phone interviews or something before Wednesday.

Interestingly enough some spots opened up on the unfilled list but had an asterisk "not participating in SOAP" next to them. One was at my home institution and I called to ask what was kosher about that. They said those programs can't discuss anything with applicants until after Friday's final SOAP round is over. That makes sense. So... therefore I assume it's kosher to call all of these "not participating in SOAP" programs on Friday (right?).

By the way, it appears that two programs at my home institution snubbed me, they were my #1 and 2 choices and I got a great vibe from them at the interviews. I'm pissed.

I guess you're a freak, or so they think.

has anyone heard from any of the programs yet they applied to through ERAS SOAP?

I haven't yet. Giving me heartburn. Right now I'm hoping I didn't match because there were better candidates, not because I didn't make thank you and ROI letters. But my slim chances are higher if its because I am qualified but didn't play some weird game.

I wasted two of my 30 applying to R positions having no idea what they meant. Wish I read this thread first.

I haven't yet. Giving me heartburn. Right now I'm hoping I didn't match because there were better candidates, not because I didn't make thank you and ROI letters. But my slim chances are higher if its because I am qualified but didn't play some weird game.

I didn't write thank you notes or letters of interest with the exception of my #1. I don't think its a big factor in all of this, but at this point in the process I think you should for every interview you get.

Don't worry about the game guys, in the end you will end up with a spot. Things truly do have a way of working out for the best. There are sooo many reassuring stories out there of it all working out for the best in the end. Looking back, I would be WAY less happy right now if I had matched to my #1 choice. Keep your heads up and keep on truckin'!

Survivor DO

So the deal is, if a program has unmatched spots but chooses not to participate in the SOAP, they are essentially saying, even if we don't fill our spots, we don't want scramblers (SOAP participants).

That's the most logical explanation I've heard. However, they could in theory still match people--but you're right, not until after 5 pm on this Friday. You cannot work with them until then if at all.

FYI for DO spots, these also cannot be applied for people in the SOAP--that is, until Friday 5 pm. That's when we are free to resume out-of-SOAP applicate-ing. :)

Since submitting my 30 I've gotten 1 email saying they would be interested. Evidently it was just a tip of the hat as there was no follow-up instructions--like, "Email us here" or w/e. I guess they're just saying, we may call you tomorrow.

All the calls and interviews sound like they take place tomorrow. Oh god :sleep:

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYBODY! We can still match

Just wanted to say good luck to all of you SOAPing. Hang in there.

Thoughts and prayers with everyone SOAPing

Good luck, guys! I hope that each of you finds a spot that turns out to be a great fit for you. A few years ago, I too received that horrible "We're sorry" email. It was so disappointing, but in the long run everything worked out for me. I am hopeful that each of you will look back in time and say the same.

Is there any IMG who successfully SOAPED?

Painful as it maybe, at what point should an IMG decide to give this up forever?

I'm a former scrambler since I graduated before this whole SOAP process.

I can remember the chaos and the feeling of my dream being shattered as my fellow classmates were celebrating knowing they matched. I can particularly remember match day seeing my classmates upset at where they match while I barely got a prelim after a week of hell sending out emails, faxes and calling up multiple programs all over the country.

In the end it all worked out because I ended up at a great program in my dream field and I'm looking forward to the next chapter in my life after residency.

So all this to say, don't give up hope and follow your dreams.... good luck!

Although you are free to contact them after friday (and have nothing to lose by doing so), it's likely that any spots unfilled and not being filled in SOAP will never be filled. Most of these spots are research spots, or other special tracks. That said, you never know.

I'm a former scrambler since I graduated before this whole SOAP process.

I can remember the chaos and the feeling of my dream being shattered as my fellow classmates were celebrating knowing they matched. I can particularly remember match day seeing my classmates upset at where they match while I barely got a prelim after a week of hell sending out emails, faxes and calling up multiple programs all over the country.

In the end it all worked out because I ended up at a great program in my dream field and I'm looking forward to the next chapter in my life after residency.

So all this to say, don't give up hope and follow your dreams.... good luck!

from scramble to radonc? win :D

Man. I just found out that I didn't match either earlier today. I have been like intermittently bawling my eyes out. I got a call from a surgery prelim program that told me that I was an average applicant and they'd have to see what goes on after. That wasn't reassuring at all. I know it was my board score and they mentioned that as well. I hate how far these numbers chase us. I had the research, the grades, everything else, I got emails from places saying that they were ranking me highly but alas and alack I was not ranked to match anywhere I guess. This is so depressing.

If anyone out there has done a surgery prelim year and successfully transitioned to / been adopted by their own surgery program it'd be really encouraging to hear about it. As of now everyone is telling me that my career prognosis is gloom and doom as surgery prelims are the untouchables in the caste system of prelim interns. please excuse me as i go cry in a corner a little bit more tonight.

Man. I just found out that I didn't match either earlier today. I have been like intermittently bawling my eyes out. I got a call from a surgery prelim program that told me that I was an average applicant and they'd have to see what goes on after. That wasn't reassuring at all. I know it was my board score and they mentioned that as well. I hate how far these numbers chase us. I had the research, the grades, everything else, I got emails from places saying that they were ranking me highly but alas and alack I was not ranked to match anywhere I guess. This is so depressing.

If anyone out there has done a surgery prelim year and successfully transitioned to / been adopted by their own surgery program it'd be really encouraging to hear about it. As of now everyone is telling me that my career prognosis is gloom and doom as surgery prelims are the untouchables in the caste system of prelim interns. please excuse me as i go cry in a corner a little bit more tonight.

It could be board scores or it could be something else. I had a 268/246 and applied to 100 IM programs and only got 5 interviews, one of them not even in the match. I am however a canadian IMG from Caribbean so obviously played a role but come on, 5/100? Oh well, I matched and that's that. Done with this.
Goodluck.

How do you give up when you've nothing else to pick up instead? Are those scores going to be etched on your face for the rest of your wretched life? I am NOT my scores.

Bottom of the barrel.

How do you give up when you've nothing else to pick up instead? Are those scores going to be etched on your face for the rest of your wretched life? I am NOT my scores.

Bottom of the barrel.

You'll be alright. You're only as good as the last thing that you did. When you're in medical school, it's grades and the USMLE. For fellowship, it's the quality and reputation of your residency, LORs and your inservice exam scores. As an attending, it's what you can do, the reputation of where you're working, and what you add to the group.
Stay positive, be flexible, consider other options. This too shall pass.

You'll be alright. You're only as good as the last thing that you did. When you're in medical school, it's grades and the USMLE. For fellowship, it's the quality and reputation of your residency, LORs and your inservice exam scores. As an attending, it's what you can do, the reputation of where you're working, and what you add to the group.
Stay positive, be flexible, consider other options. This too shall pass.

This.

Already had a couple of interviews on Monday. That helped me out a bit. I'm just trying to stay focused and on top of things. This is a wild ride. Sure, things may not work out, but it's not over until it's over.

Already had a couple of interviews on Monday. That helped me out a bit. I'm just trying to stay focused and on top of things. This is a wild ride. Sure, things may not work out, but it's not over until it's over.

Congratulations, that's certainly encouraging news, and more than what others have experienced as of this morning.

Out of curiosity, would you mind sharing the specialty you are vying for?

Best wishes :) :thumbup:

I'm not in surgery myself but I do know that the gen surgery program where I did internship wanted to take one of their surgery prelims into the program. My impression is that some places do more than others to help their prelims get spots, but it certainly isn't impossible to get a categorical spot. I definitely think that you're still in the game. :thumbup: :luck::luck:
A surgery prelim can still be a springboard if you decide to pursue another specialty too.

Is there any IMG who successfully SOAPED?

Painful as it maybe, at what point should an IMG decide to give this up forever?

I don't think you should think its impossible. I interviewed at a couple programs that clearly took in a few IMGs through the scramble or later (like one program had 3 unmatched out of 6 positions last year and wound up with 4 IMGs for their first year incoming residents.)

I'm a AMG who didn't match and is hoping for SOAP so if anything, I'd hope I have an advantage over IMGs. Take that for what you will.

d'oh. I just called one of the places I interviewed with and they told me bluntly they weren't going to offer me a spot. When I asked why, they said it had nothing to do with my performance, it had to do with the fact that I had left another residency program. Ok, so I get thrown into the metaphorical meat grinder at my old program, I leave them and now I can't get another one. This is ridiculous.

d'oh. I just called one of the places I interviewed with and they told me bluntly they weren't going to offer me a spot. When I asked why, they said it had nothing to do with my performance, it had to do with the fact that I had left another residency program. Ok, so I get thrown into the metaphorical meat grinder at my old program, I leave them and now I can't get another one. This is ridiculous.

So you called them? Weren't you afraid of being reported for terms violation? I'm actually weighing silent patience vs active pursuit at the risk of violating the terms and conditions of NRMP. any input?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

So you called them? Weren't you afraid of being reported for terms violation? I'm actually weighing silent patience vs active pursuit at the risk of violating the terms and conditions of NRMP. any input?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

He already interviewed there after going through ERAS and SOAP, contacting them at this point is not a violation.

It's not a violation because they contacted me first (for an interview yesterday) and then offered me their phone number if I wanted to call them back. Then, and only then, did I call them back. That's when they said no. It's perfectly fine to contact a program BACK if they contact us FIRST. How else would we have any dialogue?

It's not a violation because they contacted me first (for an interview yesterday) and then offered me their phone number if I wanted to call them back. Then, and only then, did I call them back. That's when they said no. It's perfectly fine to contact a program BACK if they contact us FIRST. How else would we have any dialogue?

Fair enough and correct. But that's not how it was initially presented.

Thankfully don't have to SOAP; my heart really does go out to you guys. This must be hell.

This whole process seems so weighted in favor of the programs, while the applicants (aka the ones who pay ridiculous fees for ERAS/NRMP and spend lots of money and time going on interviews) are the ones who get shafted into a job market with an unenqual distribution of information.

We basically have no information on the inner workings of programs when we apply while our entire academic history is laid out to be dissected by all. We have no access to our LORs.

Why can nobody besides those SOAPing have access to the list of unmatched programs? Seems like this should be public knowledge, especially for future applicants (maybe this is made public later?)

The whole "don't call us, we'll call you" SOAP rule is bogus.

I've heard some pretty unbelievable accounts from people who went unmatched that received calls, letters, emails spewing false love. If we're gonna make some more rules, why not make one that prohibits any kind of post-interview communication (including thank-yous). From my understanding, that's what the folks in plastic surgery and it sounds great.

Easier said than done, but really try to keep swimming through this. The hell will end soon.