West Virginia SOM (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just checked my WVSOM portal and my secondary status changed from "Under Review" to "Decision Pending". Is this a good sign? My LOR's haven't been marked as received yet.

Decision pending just means they are deciding to interview or not. I don't think it means more than that. The interview invite comes via E-mail if you do get one so stay positive :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted this Tuesday, going to be paying my deposit soon. Great school, good luck to all of you :)
Stats: 3.4c/3.3s MCAT: 507, 200+ hospital volunteer hours, 50 hours shadowing 3 different docs (all DO.) and 5 LoR's total, 1 from DO.

Reactions: 6 users
hi guys! I just submitted my secondary to this school a week ago. I slacked off and was swamped with work so I hadn't submitted earlier and now I really regret it because I actually really like this school! Do you think there's still a chance I could get an interview? How long did it usually take to receive an interview after submitting secondary? What is their interview schedule like going forward? thanks!!

I should add my stats: 506 MCAT; 3.5 GPA; lots of clinical volunteering, clinical research, and leadership experience; PA resident; ivy undergrad

Members don't see this ad :)
hi guys! I just submitted my secondary to this school a week ago. I slacked off and was swamped with work so I hadn't submitted earlier and now I really regret it because I actually really like this school! Do you think there's still a chance I could get an interview? How long did it usually take to receive an interview after submitting secondary? What is their interview schedule like going forward? thanks!!

I should add my stats: 506 MCAT; 3.5 GPA; lots of clinical volunteering, clinical research, and leadership experience; PA resident; ivy undergrad

Hard to predict the future for you, but definitely still possible you get an II

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how long it usually takes to hear back after an interview?

I interviewed on a thursday and found out the following tuesday (around noon EST.) Check the status on the portal if you get accepted it will say "Accept Applicant"

I interviewed on a thursday and found out the following tuesday (around noon EST.) Check the status on the portal if you get accepted it will say "Accept Applicant"
I second this! I interviewed on a Monday and heard back the following Monday. They're very quick about getting back to you.

For current students-- when it came to housing what is the difference between a multiunit or an apartment? I'm confused with how WVSOM lists them on the portal.

For current students-- when it came to housing what is the difference between a multiunit or an apartment? I'm confused with how WVSOM lists them on the portal.

Probably not much difference. The best way to find out would be to call the landlord and get more details. I'm guessing a multi-unit would be something like a house that has sectioned apartments. For example, the basement is one apartment, the main level is another apartment, and the second floor or top level is another apartment.

Everywhere I have lived they mean "sort of" the same thing.

Apartments- usually a house that has different living space per floor

Multi unit- typically a building consisting of multiple (like 10+ ) apartments.

It's like apartment complexes vs a house with 2 or so different living levels

The more I write and try to explain the more I realize how hard it is to explain the difference. Even though there is a distinct difference it is hard to describe. Hope I helped a little!

Got the e-mail today that my letters were uploaded, so I'm looking for that II email in the next few days :) I'm so excited.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the e-mail today that my letters were uploaded, so I'm looking for that II email in the next few days :) I'm so excited.

If letters are uploaded does that mean we get an II? I got an email notification yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone been deferred from WVSOM before receiving a II and heard back yet?

Anyone already interviewed here this cycle mind DMing me!? I have a few questions!

Giving up my II, committing to another school. Hopefully it goes to one of you! Best of luck to everyone!

Interviewing here January 23rd or 26th! First interview. Heard this school is a hidden gem so I'm super excited and grateful. I'm thinking if I get any other interviews in the next week or two they will probably be scheduled prior to then though, that's a long time from now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
That's actually fairly early still . Some schools are scheduling out to march/April already. Congrats, it is a hidden gem without a doubt!

Interviewing here January 23rd or 26th! First interview. Heard this school is a hidden gem so I'm super excited and grateful. I'm thinking if I get any other interviews in the next week or two they will probably be scheduled prior to then though, that's a long time from now.

Reactions: 2 users
II in January!! Flying into Charleston, very excited as I've heard a lot of good things about this school :)

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewing Friday. Getting excited/nervous! I'm really curious about the SAE's.

Hi guys! I just got an interview here for February. I'm wondering how good my chances are so late in the game. Any ideas?

Hi guys! I just got an interview here for February. I'm wondering how good my chances are so late in the game. Any ideas?

You would still have a shot, although lesser compared to interviewing in the fall. The interview cycle for some D.O. programs can go into April, so there should still be a some spots left.

Does anyone know if WVSOM has a pass/fail curriculum? Thanks in advance!

Hi guys! Got an II for Feb 3rd! Stats are sci 3.33 c 3.53 mcat 500

So excited!

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed 12/5. Anyone have an idea how long for a decision?

My application was complete 11/3 and I am still in "Decision Pending" status. Would it hurt to call admissions and ask for an update? Or should I hold off and continue to play the waiting game?

Interviewed Yesterday. I just checked my portal and it says Accept with Contingency. can anyone please explain this? Thanks in advance.

Interviewed Yesterday. I just checked my portal and it says Accept with Contingency. can anyone please explain this? Thanks in advance.
They are more than likely awaiting your fall grades. Are you taking any of the pre recs this fall?

They are more than likely awaiting your fall grades. Are you taking any of the pre recs this fall?
No. I graduated from college May 2015. I do have 3 credit deficiency, though. I think that is why. In my portal, it says 3 credit social science dificiency.

No. I graduated from college May 2015. I do have 3 credit deficiency, though. I think that is why. In my portal, it says 3 credit social science dificiency.
Means you have to take a social science class I have to take a biochem class if I get accepted