West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There should be openings for alternates, as people hear back from other schools in early summer. But it's all variable.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alternate list-interviewed 3/13.

Can anyone give more details about the alternate list compared to the waitlist? How good are the chances of being accepted to the 2018 clas

Interviewed 4/12/13 and I am on the alternate list. Wonder what it signifies for this school, specifically. Does anyone know?

Any knows if WVSOM does post interview silent rejections? Bc it has been over 1 month now without any response.

Didn't know that "Denied Admission by Committee" actually exists until I got one today.
I really screwed up my interview didn't I...wow they really must not like what I said

So if anyone is wondering, here is the order folks

Denied Admission by Committee (complete rejection) <decision deferred (you wait) <alternative list (most likely admitted as class of 2018)<accept applicant (admitted as class of 2017)

and hint: if WVSOM takes too long (5-6 weeks) to make your decision, it's most likely "Denied Admission by Committee"

Good luck to all you guys

Thanks; I just read most of last year's posts. I am thinking there will not be movement until after May 15th. So much patience...c'est la vie.

Last edited:
Hang tight those on the alternate list. I have an acceptance at WVSOM but am waitlisted at 4 other schools and waiting to hear back from another. Almost there!

Thanks; I just read most of last year's posts. I am thinking there will not be movement until after May 15th. So much patience...c'est la vie.

Hey! Just joined. I have been put on the alternate list too for WVSOM. I interviewed on 4/10/2013.

I am really hoping to get accepted for this year's entering class!! Fingers crossed. Great to hear that movement is estimated to begin around the 15th. At least I have some sort of a timeline lol.

Good Luck to you as well.

Do you know if there is a good chance of still being accepted for this year from the alternate list? Or should you just hope for next year? Does anyone know?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got on the alternate list. Interviewed 4/17. Anybody else from the last week of interviews hear anything?

Good luck everybody!

Has anyone on the alternate list heard any new news?

Is anyone having trouble accessing the WVSOM email? I'm wondering who I should email with questions.

For those who have been accepted - do you have any ideas on student health insurance? I need to insure my wife and newborn son along with myself. I originally thought that the school had a plan but they tell me that students are on their own for this and have to provide proof to the school. Any recommendations welcome - thanks!

Alt lister here. I called yesterday and I was told that they are still scheduling a meeting for the committee to make decisions. Looks like we are a little ways off from any kind of big decisions being made.

Hey everyone,
Anybody on the alternate list hear anything yet?

Quick question. I'll be applying this cycle for WVSOM, but to those on the alternate list--does this mean a guaranteed acceptance for the next year? and is this acceptance binding or can you apply to other schools while having this acceptance?

Hey everyone I called today and still no movement and the committee has yet to meet about auto acceptance for next year. Hopefully they will be meeting sometime next week. Stay positive...

Quick question. I'll be applying this cycle for WVSOM, but to those on the alternate list--does this mean a guaranteed acceptance for the next year? and is this acceptance binding or can you apply to other schools while having this acceptance?
The last group that got rollover admission for the following year were able to apply to other schools. I know a few that decided to go elsewhere. There is a pretty hefty (non-refundable) deposit to keep your seat though.
Good Luck!

The last group that got rollover admission for the following year were able to apply to other schools. I know a few that decided to go elsewhere. There is a pretty hefty (non-refundable) deposit to keep your seat though.
Good Luck!

makes sense! thanks :)

Good Luck!

I'm a rollover from last year's alternate list. My full deposit was required in October, if that helps anyone.

Just wanted to let all the wait listers know the committee will be meeting tomorrow to make final decisions on the applications. Kim is so helpful! She said we should check our status update online and expect some type of email soon after their meeting. Hopeful.

Last edited:
Just wanted to let all the wait listers know the committee will be meeting tomorrow to make final decisions on the applications. Kim is so helpful! She said we should check our status update online and expect some type of email soon after their meeting. Hopeful.
...soooo anybody heard anything yet? I've been checking all day. Stay positive, folks.

...soooo anybody heard anything yet? I've been checking all day. Stay positive, folks.

I checked my email; nothing yet. Status remains the same. Figured I'd chime in. I figure some things get delayed and what not even if they meet today... which I did not know they were going to until I saw a post today after not looking at this thread for a week or two. I was put on the alternate list as well.

I also checked all day. And AACOMAS opens on the third I believe. Is anyone going to apply again or are people waiting to hear?

I also checked all day. And AACOMAS opens on the third I believe. Is anyone going to apply again or are people waiting to hear?

Yeah, there is no update yet on the applicant status. I would wait mid next week to assume movement since such communication is time consuming. Also, when I called the admission's at this school and another school I am an alternate at, they both told me to wait until mid-June to re-apply. I guess I am going to wait until then. I applied late this past year so I don't want to repeat the same mistake. That's my two cents.

Apparently we will hear something for the alternates this week or latest early next week. Depends on when the committee meets. Good luck

Apparently we will hear something for the alternates this week or latest early next week. Depends on when the committee meets. Good luck

This is weird. Did you call them recently to ask? I am not sure why I was told last week that they were meeting this past Friday...

This is weird. Did you call them recently to ask? I am not sure why I was told last week that they were meeting this past Friday...

Just called today. Confirmed that there has been no movement. Furthermore, as far as rollover admission, no decision has to been made IF and TO WHOM it will be offered. As of now, it hasn't been offered to anyone. I didn't get any timeline about when anything would be decided. I'll be sure to post here if I hear anything else. Might be time to start thinking about that personal statement....

Just called today. Confirmed that there has been no movement. Furthermore, as far as rollover admission, no decision has to been made IF and TO WHOM it will be offered. As of now, it hasn't been offered to anyone. I didn't get any timeline about when anything would be decided. I'll be sure to post here if I hear anything else. Might be time to start thinking about that personal statement....

Yeah, I am assuming all the alternates got an email this afternoon. Mine indicates that I am still an alternate until August, but I am not being offered direct admission for 2014's class. I guess that's my cue to start the AACOMAS application for next year :(

Yeah, I am assuming all the alternates got an email this afternoon. Mine indicates that I am still an alternate until August, but I am not being offered direct admission for 2014's class. I guess that's my cue to start the AACOMAS application for next year :(

Yeah I got the same e-mail. Good luck, everybody. Get those applications in early!

congrats trumpet..just outta curiosity when did you interview?

Ahh, I'm sorry guys. Hopefully there will be a little bit of movement yet. If you guys decide to apply here again for next cycle and have any questions or plan on visiting, shoot me a message. My roommate just finished her first year, so between the two of us we should be able to help.

For those who have been accepted - do you have any ideas on student health insurance? I need to insure my wife and newborn son along with myself. I originally thought that the school had a plan but they tell me that students are on their own for this and have to provide proof to the school. Any recommendations welcome - thanks!

I'm getting SOMA because they offer cheap dental and vision, but it's not exactly cheap if you have a spouse and kids. My adivce is to shop around.

I interviewed 3/13, alternate listed toward the middle of May. No phone call/email yet but my portal has been updated to "Accept Applicant."

I interviewed 3/13, alternate listed toward the middle of May. No phone call/email yet but my portal has been updated to "Accept Applicant."

Congrats!! you've been accepted!! You should be getting a letter soon. I received mine last week. Interviewed 3/27

Congrats!! you've been accepted!! You should be getting a letter soon. I received mine last week. Interviewed 3/27

Thanks! I'm from Charleston too - hope to catch up with you this Fall! I go to school down south and am back home for the summer, so the letter is most likely sitting in a mailbox somewhere in Georgia...

Good luck to everyone still on the alternate list!! You've got this!

Anybody in search of a female roommate, please PM me!

Can you post your stats, interview, etc.?

My stats
3.9 sci
4.0 other
23 total mcat
9 bio
7 phys
7 verb

Interview was excellent, but I'm not sure what particulars one was searching for.

The school was very fitting for me, and within quite a reasonable distance of 3.5 hours.

Last edited:
My stats
3.9 sci
4.0 other
23 total mcat
10 bio
7 phys
7 verb

Interview was excellent, but I'm not sure what particulars one was searching for.

The school was very fitting for me, and within quite a reasonable distance of 3.5 hours.

10+7+7=24

Sorry, it was bothering me :laugh:

Just got accepted to my top choice, in-state school from the alternate list and I'm about 99% that I will be withdrawing from WVSOM soon. I hope that my spot goes out to one of you guys on the alternate list, I definitely feel your pain as I was an alternate last cycle at one school (rejected) and am an alternate at 4 schools this cycle! Hang in there and stay positive! :)

Just got accepted to my top choice, in-state school from the alternate list and I'm about 99% that I will be withdrawing from WVSOM soon. I hope that my spot goes out to one of you guys on the alternate list, I definitely feel your pain as I was an alternate last cycle at one school (rejected) and am an alternate at 4 schools this cycle! Hang in there and stay positive! :)

Thanks for keeping the alternates posted. Gives me some hope for the future. Good luck!