WesternU MSMS vs RVU MSBS (Utah campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedSun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Was just accepted to WesternU and RVU Utah masters programs and I’m uncertain which program to choose. Please help me.

WesternU
Pros:
Local
Good reputation

Cons:
Doesn’t have guaranteed linkage
Starts in June, so I don’t have time to retake the MCAT
-Worst case scenario: gap year after this program

RVU
Pros:
Guaranteed linkage
Don’t need to retake the MCAT
Great faculty, very welcoming environment

Cons:
Some problems with rotations and matching

I have a family that can’t just get up and leave to a different state. So I’m torn between a good school in a great location but without any guarantee or a good school that it’s far away but with a linkage.

HELP ME!😭

Members don't see this ad.

Yeesh. I did the WesternU MSMS and it's a pretty bad program. TERRIBLE teachers (like, some of the worst I've ever seen) and these are the same profs that teach at the medical school so that doesn't bode well. Everyone flunked everything so bad they constantly had to have a huge curve. IMO they're dishonest about how much time you'll spend in research. I swear I'm not making this up: Dr. Goode told me I should have known that they were lying when they said "only Tuesdays and Thursdays." All that said you stand a fairly good chance of having something published with your name on it which will be a boost in residency- though it's really not hard to get a little research done in your 3rd year. When I was there they had unofficial linkage, maintain a 3.0 with a 495 mcat and you're in. I didn't attend their medical school so I can't speak to it. Pomona is an absolute s***hole but you're a reasonable drive from LA which was fun.

What you're saying about RVU matching and rotations is a little surprising, I've generally heard good things other than the people who own it have shady business practices (own some Caribbean schools too).