What about premed wasn't as bad as you thought?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Astra

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For me it was orgo. wasn't bad as the horror stories made it out to be

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
The girls, especially the ones that become business majors come semester 2

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The amount of time I'd have to spend studying to do fairly okay. Then again, some classes kicked my behind in showing me no matter how much I prepared, the exams were going to be terrible.

That and exam curves. The way some teachers curved exams almost should have been against school policy...then again, I'm not complaining :whistle:

Reactions: 4 users
Definitely the ECs. Even having "great" ECs just means being active for 4 years. The stuff really adds up over time.

Literally all of it. I didn't think being pre-med was all that bad.

Reactions: 8 users
I've studied more in the last 2 weeks for the MCAT than I did all last semester. I'm going to go out on a limb and say my MCAT study hours leading up to July 8 will exceed those of my undergraduate study hours.

Basically, college was really easy. I don't know where these low GPA/high MCAT people come from. Must be ruthless professors or something.

Reactions: 2 users
Literally all of it. I didn't think being pre-med was all that bad.

Ya same here. Mostly had a lot of fun doing everything, even the stuff that is just hoop jumping.

Edit: except for the MCAT. MCAT was just a lot of work. But it didn't suck as bad as I thought it would.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
It all depends on perspective. I didn't think it was that bad, but I enjoyed learning and made plenty of time for fun. If you go through all the steps like a checklist and loathe everything you "have to" do, then you won't have a good time.

Same at my school. It ended up becoming my favorite class and the reason I switched to a chemistry major.

Reactions: 1 user
The MCAT, people love to tell horror stories and talk about truly nerotic prep schedules but when it came down to it, it was a lot easier than people made it seem.

It's still rough, just it doesn't require 60 hour study weeks for 6-8 months like a lot of people seem to imply.

The entire experience wasn't bad. A lot of jumping through hoops but, in the end it's all worth it. Didn't get nervous about anything during premed except the MCAT. Definitely nervous heading into M1.

Pre-dent here, but since we take the same courses... :D

For me, it was the science electives. I had absolutely no science background other than required chemistry and biology courses in high school. Had no problem in college. Anything is possible with dedication and endurance.

Reactions: 1 user
At the risk of sounding like a douche, the MCAT was not as bad as I expected.

Members don't see this ad :)
None of it was really that bad at all. I guess if I had to pick, the MCAT was surprisingly very much not bad. Especially now that I'm about to take Step 1, MCAT prep seems like a joke

At the risk of sounding like a douche, the MCAT was not as bad as I expected.
Not necessarily bad, but definitely time consuming. The only "bad" parts about it were my nerves before the test and waiting for my score afterwards.

Last edited:
I've studied more in the last 2 weeks for the MCAT than I did all last semester. I'm going to go out on a limb and say my MCAT study hours leading up to July 8 will exceed those of my undergraduate study hours.

Basically, college was really easy. I don't know where these low GPA/high MCAT people come from. Must be ruthless professors or something.

It's funny how different our experiences were! I found the MCAT to be much, much easier than my college tests. College was just ruthless in my opinion. In fact, I find it just as hard to believe the number of high GPA/ low MCAT people out there. It really goes to show how different everybody's learning processes and college experiences were.

orgo wasn't as bad as everyone says it is

MCAT and doing through the actual application process were probably the worst parts

Maybe because some people attend good, competitive schools?

The fact that I had no idea I would be going to med school. Even though I was completing all the same prereqs as the premeds, that took a lot of pressure off. I didn't decide on med school until after I finished my B.S.

By far the upper level courses. The content was much more difficult in Biochem, Cell Bio and Molecular Biology, but the professors actually cared about your learning.

So i performed better on exams and tests, not because they were easier, but because the professors were more concerned about making sure you understand concepts like Enzyme Kinetics and Glycosylation, rather than "how difficult to make the exam so that a certain percentage of my class fails?"

So a good example, my Biochem of Macromolecules professor actually paused class for a week to go over Michaelis-Menton Kinetics because no one understood it, while my organic 2 professor went through a chapter every two days (whether we understood it or not) and didnt care that 60% of the class was making less that a 55 on her exams (which she didnt curve by the way). Because no one really knew much about organic 2 after the class because she flew through it the class average on the ACS Ochem final was below a 40%. After that she got in trouble and is only allowed to to teach graduate courses and labs now.