DO What are my chances? International, 516MCAT,3.8cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bvan95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate some help with chancing for DO schools. I'm a Vietnamese citizen who holds a US bachelor in Nutrition. Here are my stats:
1.cGPA: 3.80, sGPA:3.69
2.MCAT: 516, C/P: 128, CARS: 130, B/C:129,S/P:129
3. Vietnamese citizen, no US green-card/citizenship
4. Asian
5. Messiah College, Nutrition Major w/ Biology and Chemistry double minor
6. Clinical Experiences:
-ER Medical Scribe x 1 year (U.S hospital)
-Hospital Volunteer x 1 year (at 2 Vietnamese tertiary hospitals)
-Research Intern x 6 mos for an oncologist (Vietnam)
7. Research Experiences:
-Undergraduate research x 1 year, Honors Senior Thesis, poster+presentation at school symposiums
-Independent research project with an oncologist on assessing the nutritional status of cancer patients x 6 mos
-Research Intern for a clinical research unit based in Hanoi on antibiotics overuse x 6 mos
8. Shadowing:
-Pediatrics, Family medicine, Internal Medicine, Medical Oncology, Cardiology, General Orthopedics Surgery
9. Non-clinical volunteering:
-Undergraduate volunteer for different food banks, soup kitchens; 2 service trips ( about 180 hours)
-Service Leader for 2 international service trips in Siem Reap, Cambodia (160 hrs)
-Volunteer for a center for kids with IDD based in Hanoi (180 hrs, projected)
10. Others:
-Nutrition Club Executive Member, Resident Assistant, Catering Student Leader, Organic Chem Lab Assistant, International/Multicultural Peer Advisor (Undergraduate)
-ESL teacher (Gap-year)
-German (A1)and Chinese learner (HSK-1) (Gap-year)
11. Honors/awards: Dean's List, College Honors, Recipient of a summer research grant at school, Participant of Primary Care Scholars Program (by Penn State College of medicine)
-Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I can’t really speak on DO too much. But, they may not pay you any mind because: a) your stats are incredible and b) it sounds like you’ve never shadowed a DO and therefore won’t have a LOR from them). The latter is definitely an app killer for most DO schools these days.

If you wish to go the MD route, purchase MSAR, and look at what schools are the most international friendly (i.e. Tulane, Indiana, Ohio State University, Rosalind Franklin, etc). That’ll give you the most accurate data. Also, add schools that you’ve had affiliations with, like Penn State (PCP Scholars program) and the medical school associated with your undergrad (if there was any). Your stats and ECs are absolutely amazing, so don’t worry too much! Use MSAR, apply early, pre-write your secondaries, and I can almost guarantee you will get in this cycle. Plus, I’m psychic —> so you can trust my prophesies :cat:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I can’t really speak on DO too much. But, they may not pay you any mind because: a) your stats are incredible and b) it sounds like you’ve never shadowed a DO and therefore won’t have a LOR from them). The latter is definitely an app killer for most DO schools these days.

If you wish to go the MD route, purchase MSAR, and look at what schools are the most international friendly (i.e. Tulane, Indiana, Ohio State University, Rosalind Franklin, etc). That’ll give you the most accurate data. Also, add schools that you’ve had affiliations with, like Penn State (PCP Scholars program) and the medical school associated with your undergrad (if there was any). Your stats and ECs are absolutely amazing, so don’t worry too much! Use MSAR, apply early, pre-write your secondaries, and I can almost guarantee you will get in this cycle. Plus, I’m psychic —> so you can trust my prophesies :cat:
Thanks! You have been really encouraging I do have a DO letter so I think I will still apply to a few as back-up. *hopefully* your prophecy will come true!

Thanks! You have been really encouraging I do have a DO letter so I think I will still apply to a few as back-up. *hopefully* your prophecy will come true!
Lmao! No problem. Hopefully you apply to LECOM-Erie, PCOM, and Rocky Vista —my all-time favorites :)

Your chances are great at the DO schools that consider internationals.
If I choose to go the DO route, would my residency options be much more restricted to primary care specialties? Also, do you happen to know how international students who go to DO schools fare in comparison to those who go MD in terms of match rate? Thanks!!

If I choose to go the DO route, would my residency options be much more restricted to primary care specialties? Also, do you happen to know how international students who go to DO schools fare in comparison to those who go MD in terms of match rate? Thanks!!
The challenge for internationals (with either degree) is that programs may not support their preferred work visa and a good number will not consider them at all...

The challenge for internationals (with either degree) is that programs may not support their preferred work visa and a good number will not consider them at all...
Does that mean that it wouldn't necessarily matter which route to take since it will be an uphill battle either way?

Does that mean that it wouldn't necessarily matter which route to take since it will be an uphill battle either way?
From what I can tell, the degree issue is less important than the visa issue.
That doesn't mean that no program will consider you. There will be fewer programs that consider internationals either way, though.

From what I can tell, the degree issue is less important than the visa issue.
That doesn't mean that no program will consider you. There will be fewer programs that consider internationals either way, though.
I see. I think for now, I will do my best to actually get into one first and then continue the climb in med school!