What are my chances? Recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

T14dan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.1 GPA (Biochemistry Major)
20AA DAT
Shadowing at General dentist and free dental clinic
Tennis Club Team Captain College, MVP, number 1 player and former HS state champion
Ping Pong (hand eye coordination) invited to southern tournament for school
ambidextrous(i can actually prove this)
1 publication in journal of inorganic chemistry
Volunteer: Habitat for Humanity
Post Bacc Student Now
GPA greater than 3.5 (not sure exactly)
First Time applicant.
Back in college(why my GPA is ****) Made above a 3.5 in the two years in college, above a 3.5 in dentistry pre-requisite courses.
Junior year: Had to start taking a medication for the next two years; experienced SEVERE side effects. (have a semester of all W's b/c I couldn't stay in school. Will try to explain in application. After graduation, I worked a year in a R&D lab developing silicone materials. Once I felt ready, I quit and started taking post bacc classes to try for D-school. Does anyone have any recommendations? I know i'm a pretty bad applicant now, but I also am worried about spending two more years of my life taking post-bacc classes to try to save my GPA. I'm already 24!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll throw in my 2 cents, since were the same age. Same GPA here, higher DAT's, 4 years of academic research and a Fullbright......I've gotten 2 pre-Dec interviews out of 18 schools. So it's definitely possible. If anything, I'd say retake the DAT and crush it and you should have a pretty solid chance. Plus doing well in the post-bacc classes will help you out too.

I think you sound like a great applicant; you are really well rounded and have a really good story, unlike many applicants. Just make sure that your story (personal challenges, innate manual dexterity, etc.) gets communicated through your application.

Reactions: 1 users