What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlweid

Reaction score
Hi there, I am a first time applicant wondering what my chances are for applying this cycle.
My interests are primarily in mixed animal and I've been recently really interested in community medicine.

Here are my stats:
I will be graduating this December with a B.A. in Biology and minors in Chemistry and History
GPA 3.35
Last 45 3.55

Vet experience hours:
- 25 shadowing small animal GP
- 1350 small animal emergency as a VA
- 960 small animal GP as a VA
- 350 hours organizing a canine vx clinic for low-income members of my community (partnering with a DVM)

Animal Experience:
- 520 hours as an intern zookeeper at a non-profit exotics/large animal educational facility
- 40 hours fostering/volunteering at an animal shelter
- 120 hours working doggy daycare in high school

Non-animal experiences:
- Community children's theater director/company director
- Beekeeper's association member
- Educational women's org member
- Volunteer for anti-drunk driving seminar for teens
- Food pantry team member

I don't have any in-lab research experience but I did do an independent study research project under the mentorship of my microbiology prof studying lactobacilli in the human female microbiome.

I am trying to apply to schools with a more "holistic" approach to reviewing applications as I know my GPA is not a huge selling point for my app.
I am a strong writer and plan to center my personal statement around my passion for education and service, and how that will play a role in my practice as a DVM down the line.
My LORs come from 2 DVMs (one an employer and the other the DVM partnering with me on my vx clinic), my mentor/professor who assisted me with me independent research project, and my mentor through my zookeeping internship.

Please let me know if you have any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Great app overall!
One thing I’ll say is you could benefit from getting more diverse experiences for your vet hours. I see that you have a lot of hours for exotics for animal hours which is great! But I would say maybe shadow an equine vet or something for a little while this summer to get more variety for your vet hours.
I agree with the holistic schools. My gpa was a little lower than average and I applied holistically, I think Ohio state and Michigan State are good options for that. Also apply to your in state if you have one, not sure if you do or not.
I like how you have other things outside of vet med as well. Schools like that. Make sure to put everything you can, even high school stuff.
Let me know if anything needs clarifying. Good luck!

Great app overall!
One thing I’ll say is you could benefit from getting more diverse experiences for your vet hours. I see that you have a lot of hours for exotics for animal hours which is great! But I would say maybe shadow an equine vet or something for a little while this summer to get more variety for your vet hours.
I agree with the holistic schools. My gpa was a little lower than average and I applied holistically, I think Ohio state and Michigan State are good options for that. Also apply to your in state if you have one, not sure if you do or not.
I like how you have other things outside of vet med as well. Schools like that. Make sure to put everything you can, even high school stuff.
Let me know if anything needs clarifying. Good luck!

Thank you so much! I definitely will start reaching out to equine facilities to see if there are any shadowing opportunities. There are very few resources for pre-vet students at my university so it feels really good to have affirmation from people in the community that I’m on the right track!