What Brings You Here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Veritas86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess what I'm saying is that we all have a story to tell, especially us relatively older folks. The question is, why med school?

For me, life constantly got in the way my first time around in school. With tragedies in my family and the emotional stress from that, it just wasn't a good time for me. And now, having carefully considered my options, I can't really imagine doing anything but being a doc.

Regardless of how old I'll be and kind of behind I am, I've decided to bite the bullet and go for it. It's my dream, and I'm going to follow it.

For me, its not about the money or prestige, its about my life and my dreams.

Members don't see this ad.

realizing how crappy job = crappy life

no matter how much money they throw at me...............well to a point

i'd rather do something meaningful in my life ...............help others

only live once..............how would i like to remember my life

Members don't see this ad :)
I really had zero exposure to medicine for most of my life. Only lately I've been able to find out more and understand what practicing medicine really means. Applying scientific knowledge to understand and solve problems inside human body appeals to me and just seems to be a much better fit as a career relative to everything else I've done or considered doing.

I really had zero exposure to medicine for most of my life. Only lately I've been able to find out more and understand what practicing medicine really means. Applying scientific knowledge to understand and solve problems inside human body appeals to me and just seems to be a much better fit as a career relative to everything else I've done or considered doing.

I don't think I've ever heard it put like that, but that's essentially the "why" for me.

That and as an ex pharmacy tech, I didn't get the patient contact or depth of knowledge I feel like I need. Good words :)

I am far from set on this, but so far what appeals to me:
1) You can make good money while staying in the trenches. You don't have to move to management. I guess it is a good option for non overly political people and don't want to rely on their schmoozing/networking skills.
2) There is no "up or out" pressure characteristic of some other comparative pay industries. Seams like you can get professor's tenure without being super brilliant (like a professor would have to be).
3) There is still science/analytical feel to it, so you make it through your own merit, not you ability to stab others in the back (unless you are a spine surgeon am I right?..... *tit-tit-tuuuuuth* *cricket sounds*). I think I would respect myself more, than if I took more MBAish route.

realizing how crappy job = crappy life

no matter how much money they throw at me...............well to a point

i'd rather do something meaningful in my life ...............help others

only live once..............how would i like to remember my life

Same reasons, plus my mom died of breast cancer when i was 10. Noone in usa or any other country could treat her, so they said that she would die within __ months, so she went back to home(Nepal). Her wish in her fin days was for me to become a doctor, and i also feel like i should help/serve people this way, by becoming a doctor. I know what it feels like to lose a family member. So, i would feel best if i could save someone from dying. This is my goal, my destiny. I will thrive to achieve this goal of mine.

I was always plagued by having too many interests. From high school on, I have alternately wanted to be, in no particular order, a doctor, dentist, architect, lawyer, chemist, restaurant owner, military officer, airline pilot, etc. Examining many of these, I realized, finally, that the only one with the potential to really keep me interested and satisfied was being a doctor. The personal contact with patients, problem solving, scientific knowledge, and life-long learning all appeal to me. Most importantly, no matter what career choice I was looking at/pursuing, I always had the "I should be/wish I was/wish I could be a doctor" nagging in the back of my mind.

Nice to know I'm not the only one who'll be pushing for flying the Jolly Roger over the ED. :)

Bone carpentry is soooo much cooler than wood carpentry. If I'd known it would only take a year of college to get into med school, I would have done this years ago.