What can I do in 5 weeks to improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. otcoD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently took the MCAT June 18th. I first started studying for it hardcore May 14th and did a practice test every other day. Raised my scores from a 490 to a 505. Did all the AAMC materials(2 tests+old Q packs+section bank), Next Step exams (all 10). I recently bought Altius Exams to build up taking practice tests again.

NS exams: averaging about a 505
June 18th: 508 131/122/130/125.

I'm taking the MCAT again August 20th.

I'm mainly trying to improve CARS and Psych but I'm worried about losing knowledge for Chem/Phys and Bio/Biochem. I am doing CARS passages every day but some passages i do well and some I dont. I've tried some of the methods like creating maps and whatnot, but I feel like I'm wasting my time on CARS. On the real exam, if i get a passage thats good, then ill do good.

What can I do to improve CARS and Psych?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you are in the same boat I was in. I suggest doing the old AAMC FL VR sections (your scores will be inflated but you will not have seen quite a bit of the passages, roughly 1/2) and reevaluating your CARS strategy. For P/S use the KA guide and do a lot of practice passages. and periodically review your C/P and B/B. It is a hell of a lot easier to improve P/S than B/B and C/P so you are in a good position. Really evaluate which passages you do worse on and then do a ton of practice similar to that. I suggest using the EK method for CARS. Don't give up on it.

Reactions: 1 user
I recently took the MCAT June 18th. I first started studying for it hardcore May 14th and did a practice test every other day. Raised my scores from a 490 to a 505. Did all the AAMC materials(2 tests+old Q packs+section bank), Next Step exams (all 10). I recently bought Altius Exams to build up taking practice tests again.

NS exams: averaging about a 505
June 18th: 508 131/122/130/125.

I'm taking the MCAT again August 20th.

I'm mainly trying to improve CARS and Psych but I'm worried about losing knowledge for Chem/Phys and Bio/Biochem. I am doing CARS passages every day but some passages i do well and some I dont. I've tried some of the methods like creating maps and whatnot, but I feel like I'm wasting my time on CARS. On the real exam, if i get a passage thats good, then ill do good.

What can I do to improve CARS and Psych?

I can't comment about improving CARS, because I truly believe skills in CARS are built over time and wouldn't know how to advise someone to get better in a short time.

Psych is heavily testing memory of content and statistical reasoning. I think the best way to prepare is to have as broad a knowledge base as possible. Getting your hands on every source of psych passages possible, making sure the after doing questions you not only know why you got something right but can explain and apply every concept or theory in the other answer choices. This is possible to improve in 5 weeks for sure. It is just a knowledge building task, the more you see, and the more you memorize, the better you will do.

For the data analysis, understand hypothesis driven research design, the different methods (correlational, cross-sectional, etc), and when/why/ under what conditions are data significant and all the issues with interpretation.

Khan Academy is great, AAMC, (I liked TPR too) and as many other sources you can get your hands on.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile