What constitutes shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lifeman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am going to be applying this cycle but don't have any stereotypical follow-one-doctor-around shadowing hours. I did however, spend 80 hours in a hospital where I could walk into the rooms and watch what the physicians did. I even saw someone come in with a gun shot wound and watched how they treated him.

Now could I list this "Medical Community Service" but the only real service I did was wipe down the beds, or as "Physician Shadowing / Clinical Observation" but I don't think that is what people consider "shadowing". Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I think the technical term of "shadowing" is not exactly necessary for the application. It just happens that shadowing is the major part of many applicant's clinical experience. I think the key is to have experience where you directly spend time with and see what physicians do. You interact with them and are able to ask questions and understand the job and their lifestyle. So whether it is shadowing or something else, I think if you can confidently comment on those things and back your comments with examples, then you are fine. At least that is the impression that I have been given.

I think the technical term of "shadowing" is not exactly necessary for the application. It just happens that shadowing is the major part of many applicant's clinical experience. I think the key is to have experience where you directly spend time with and see what physicians do. You interact with them and are able to ask questions and understand the job and their lifestyle. So whether it is shadowing or something else, I think if you can confidently comment on those things and back your comments with examples, then you are fine. At least that is the impression that I have been given.
Thank you, so I guess I will label this as shadowing/observation since I have other clinical volunteer work :laugh: