What do aspiring and current M.Ds think of D.Os now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That actually surprised me... you gave him advice on a pervious thread.
Yes, I realize now, as I forgotten who he was (and now I remember why). I'm surprised after his mistake, why he would troll about DO schools now.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I realize now, as I forgotten who he was (and now I remember why). I'm surprised after his mistake, why he would troll about DO schools now.

He's applying to them also.

Reactions: 1 user
He's applying to them also.
Well he'll have a lot of hard time getting acceptance to a D.O. medical school (much less a reputable one) after having ALREADY COMPLETED medical school in the Carribean, since you can't hide your education history.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I didn't realize that the OP is a graduate of Windsor Medical School, which makes his OP even more confusing (since he isn't a DO).

http://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...medicine-produces-profits-few-doctors/1069719

It's also even more of a reason he should get the ban hammer.

I find it quite unbelievable that you didn't "realize" that I'm a Windsor grad considering you replied to my earlier thread where I clearly stated that I'm a Windsor grad. Something smells fishy from your direction.

Also, since you replied to my earlier thread, you should know that I urged pre-meds to not look down upon osteopathic medicine because that was the same mistake I made as a premed. I had competitive stats for D.O school but chose Windsor so I could have a MD behind my name.

Furthermore, several SDN members (including myself) have noticed that you have a tendency of pushing for PA/NP professions while viciously pushing down the prospect of joining medical school. and becoming a physician...even though you claim to be a physician yourself. Maybe you should get the ban hammer.

I find it quite unbelievable that you didn't "realize" that I'm a Windsor grad considering you replied to my earlier thread where I clearly stated that I'm a Windsor grad. Something smells fishy from your direction.
i hate to break it to you but you're not that memorable.

Reactions: 9 users
You really weren't that important to remember, quite honestly.

Furthermore, several SDN members (including myself) have noticed that you have a tendency of pushing for PA/NP professions while viciously pushing down the prospect of joining medical school. and becoming a physician...even though you claim to be a physician yourself. Maybe you should get the ban hammer.

Your stats must have not been that great bc you couldn't even make into the Big 3 Carribean schools. If you couldn't make it into the Big 3, it's highly doubtful you would have made it into a D.O. school.

Yes, I recommended the PA/NP profession FOR YOU, bc your career as a physician in the United States is effectively over. The physician pathway is not the perfect pathway for everyone, esp. when there are very viable alternatives many of which premeds don't explore.

You really weren't that important to remember.

Your stats must have not been that great bc you couldn't even make into the Big 3 Carribean schools. If you couldn't make it into the Big 3, it's highly doubtful you would have made it into a D.O. school.

Yes, I recommended the PA/NP profession FOR YOU, bc your career as a physician in the United States is effectively over. The physician pathway is not the perfect pathway for everyone, esp. when there are very viable alternatives many of which premeds don't explore.

I was accepted to several Big 3 schools but chose Windsor due to the low tuition, I mentioned this in my previous thread as well. Oh let me guess, I wasn't important enough for you to remember that. You have recommended the PA/NP profession to MANY pre-meds beside me, anyone who looks at your previous posts can learn that.

So if I have such low importance in your eyes, why respond to this thread?

I was accepted to several Big 3 schools but chose Windsor due to the low tuition, I mentioned this in my previous thread as well. Oh let me guess, I wasn't important enough for you to remember that. You have recommended the PA/NP profession to MANY pre-meds beside me, anyone who looks at your previous posts can learn that.

So if I have such low importance in your eyes, why respond to this thread?
I don't have your previous thread and your reasons for choosing a non-Big 3 school memorized. Sorry. Yes, I have recommended those professions to premeds who aren't 100% sure about the physician pathway and I will CONTINUE to do so. The physician pathway is not the only way to practice medicine in this country.

Every applicant who decides to enter the physician track should know 100% what they're getting into in all aspects - debt load, specialty selection, preclinicals, clinicals, getting a residency which is required for MD/DOs unlike PA/NP. Something you've learned the hard way. Your situation is exactly what other people should avoid.

SDN is great when it comes to giving tips when one has decided on the physician pathway. What it's not that great at is helping people decide whether the physician pathway is the correct pathway for them to begin with. I'm not the type of person to say "You can do it!" no matter what, even when it's obviously futile, bc real life doesn't work like that.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't have your previous thread and your reasons for choosing a non-Big 3 school memorized. Sorry. Yes, I have recommended those professions to premeds who aren't 100% sure about the physician pathway and I will CONTINUE to do so. The physician pathway is not the only way to practice medicine in this country.

Every applicant who decides to enter the physician track should know 100% what they're getting into in all aspects - debt load, specialty selection, preclinicals, clinicals, getting a residency which is required for MD/DOs unlike PA/NP. Something you've learned the hard way. Your situation is exactly what other people should avoid.

SDN is great when it comes to giving tips when one has decided on the physician pathway. What it's not that great at is helping people decide whether the physician pathway is the correct pathway for them to begin with. I'm not the type of person to say "You can do it!" no matter what, even when it's obviously futile, bc real life doesn't work like that.

I respect and agree with what you are doing...now that I've a clearer understanding of why you do what you do. I wish you the best in life.

I respect and agree with what you are doing...now that I've a clearer understanding of why you do what you do. I wish you the best in life.
I thought it was clear when I responded in the previous thread, but now that I've spelled it out, I'm glad you now have a clearer understanding.

That actually surprised me... you gave him advice on a pervious thread.

@DermViser posts so much, you can't expect him to remember everything he writes ;)

Lol what?

Reactions: 3 users
Isn't Indiana University School of Medicine in Indianapolis?

IU has 8 campuses and your assignment is based on a lottery. After he received Terre Haute and didn't get in during second-chance lottery he decided to go with the DO acceptance that he had in Indy. He had no desire to live in that area after spending 4 years in a tiny LAC with nothing to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
IU has 8 campuses and your assignment is based on a lottery. After he received Terre Haute and didn't get in during second-chance lottery he decided to go with the DO acceptance that he had in Indy. He had no desire to live in that area after spending 4 years in a tiny LAC with nothing to do.

But isn't that only for the first 2 years? I thought the satellite campuses all coalesced for the clinical years?

Some peoples' decision making befuddles me. I could live anywhere for two years.

Reactions: 4 users
But isn't that only for the first 2 years? I thought the satellite campuses all coalesced for the clinical years?

Some peoples' decision making befuddles me. I could live anywhere for two years.
A lot of the campuses are working to keep them for all four years, and it isn't that easy to get research opportunities, etc.
Marian has come in with a lot of support. Lily Pharmaceuticals started a mentoring program, the hospitals used for clerkships are large, prosperous hospitals, etc. They are selling that school really well. I wouldn't have done it, but I can see why he was excited. He still likes it, and is happy. He is also now engaged so it is possible that had something to do with wanting to be in Indy.

Isn't that only for the basic science years? Or is it for all 4 years? Indiana is a weird school for doing this. They take a ridic number of people to begin with.

I'm guessing the first 2 years are by video?

My understanding is that DO students are generally better looking than MD students. This generates envy, which is where the stigma arises from.

Reactions: 8 users
My understanding is that DO students are generally better looking than MD students. This generates envy, which is where the stigma arises from.
I've actually noticed that too. Male classmates getting OMM practiced on them by those girls are lucky.

OP is asking the wrong question. Aspiring doctors don't really factor into this equation.

One should be more concerned with current MD's (which OP asked about) and patients. Fact is most physicians don't really care and most patients don't know. When you introduce a DO, you call them Dr. XYZ. The patient often doesn't know the difference. I honestly don't think they care.

I've actually noticed that too. Male classmates getting OMM practiced on them by those girls are lucky.
Haha it's all professional touch. It does get VERY touchy feel though. Dat pubic and ischial tuberosity. But hey, it's not a negative when you have aesthetic partners.

That face when you see your partner is obese.

tumblr_inline_mppe4ben9n1qz4rgp.gif

That moment when potentially future doctors are sexist and fat shaming...

Haha it's all professional touch. It does get VERY touchy feel though. Dat pubic and ischial tuberosity. But hey, it's not a negative when you have aesthetic partners.

That face when you see your partner is obese.

tumblr_inline_mppe4ben9n1qz4rgp.gif

Yes, we know it's all "professional" touch no matter how hands on it is. Probably more like:

That moment when potentially future doctors are sexist and fat shaming...
Yes, you should be ashamed to be a fat doctor. I don't know how anything I said could be taken as sexist.

A lot of the campuses are working to keep them for all four years, and it isn't that easy to get research opportunities, etc.
Marian has come in with a lot of support. Lily Pharmaceuticals started a mentoring program, the hospitals used for clerkships are large, prosperous hospitals, etc. They are selling that school really well. I wouldn't have done it, but I can see why he was excited. He still likes it, and is happy. He is also now engaged so it is possible that had something to do with wanting to be in Indy.
o_O :eyebrow:

Reactions: 1 users
Have you always been this clueless or is it an active choice?
You're correct. Physicians should encourage obesity in their patients as to not hurt their feelings. They should dance around the topic when patients come in with health sequelae from obesity.

You're correct. Physicians should encourage obesity in their patients as to not hurt their feelings. They should dance around the topic when patients come in with health sequelae from obesity.

Appears that your logic is pretty flawed too. That doesn't follow at all. But nice try, sport.

And nice ninja edit in that post. Too bad the quote doesn't change.

Let me be clear. It's not ideal to have an obese person as a partner during OMM(especially in the beginning) because it's hard to find the structures through the extra tissue. FWIW I've had gay partners, hot women, friends and no one really gives a crap what the other person is/does.

Like I said it's all professional touch. Oh ****, just realized I was in pre-allo. That's the problem.

Let me be clear. It's not ideal to have an obese person as a partner during OMM(especially in the beginning) because it's hard to find the structures through the extra tissue. FWIW I've had gay partners, hot women, friends and no one really gives a crap what the other person is/does.

Like I said it's all professional touch. Oh ****, just realized I was in pre-allo. That's the problem.

Appears that your logic is pretty flawed too. That doesn't follow at all. But nice try, sport.

And nice ninja edit in that post. Too bad the quote doesn't change.
I edited the quote before you commented. Notice if you look right now that I posted and edited the quote 21 minutes ago. You wrote your response 17 minutes ago. That means that I wrote the post and then edited it 4 minutes before you responded. Don't give yourself too much importance.

I just realized it was Pre-Allo as well. Hence the fake moral outrage, while not actually not knowing what they are talking about - and using monikers like "fat shaming" (probably believes in the War on Women™ as well).

I edited the quote before you commented. Notice if you look right now that I posted and edited the quote 21 minutes ago. You wrote your response 17 minutes ago. That means that I wrote the post and then edited it 4 minutes before you responded. Don't give yourself too much importance.

No self importance here. Just pointing out that you thought it necessitated removal.

I just realized it was Pre-Allo as well. Hence the fake moral outrage, while not actually not knowing what they are talking about - and using monikers like "fat shaming" (probably believes in the War on Women™ as well).
i'm sure the moral outrage is very real

No self importance here. Just pointing out that you thought it necessitated removal.
Yes, bc people (such as yourself) get easily offended and start clutching your pearls. And you proved me correct. Definitely not surprised you're in Boston.

Yes, bc people (such as yourself) get easily offended and start clutching your pearls. And you proved me correct. Definitely not surprised you're in Boston.

Hahaha. You know nothing about me, but by all means keep putting words in my mouth.

Clutching no pearls here. Just calling you out and it clearly rubbed you the wrong way to for you to turn to condescension over content.

Have fun with that.

Hahaha. You know nothing about me, but by all means keep putting words in my mouth.
Funny that didn't stop you from making the comment: "That moment when potentially future doctors are sexist and fat shaming..."
Maybe practice what you preach? Nah.

Do you believe in the war on Christmas?

Funny that didn't stop you from making the comment: "That moment when potentially future doctors are sexist and fat shaming..."
Maybe practice what you preach? Nah.

Was going by your words while you just decided to jump ad hominems.

Re: the sexist part, should have quoted the other bloke too. My bad on that one. Oh well, whatever.

Can confirm

Yes, and people occasionally survive falls from 5-story buildings. If anything this defines the rule rather than weakens it.

I know DOs that turned down top notch MD programs. I know pre meds that can get into MD going DO. I know pre meds only applying DO. If DOs are just MD rejects pre soma clubs wouldn't exist.

However there is a large portion of DO that couldn't get into MD schools. However I like to think they still embrace osteopathy and are happy to be there and in medical school.

I really don't want to discuss this but I just want to point out that there is more to choosing a school then the degree that the school offers.

Not that logic is your strong point but think about this for a sec

Why would someone join a pre soma club if DOs are just MD rejects.

Wouldn't everyone join pre MD clubs and only choose DO once they got rejected? The existence of pre soma clubs proves that people want to go DO. My schools pre soma club is big and people have been in there since freshman year (way before they would know if they could get into MD or not). I have good grades and am going DO. I choose DO out of high school. I'm not saying that people never go DO because they can't get MD I'm saying its not always the case.

Why would someone join a pre soma club if DOs are just MD rejects.

Wouldn't everyone join pre MD clubs and only choose DO once they got rejected? The existence of pre soma clubs proves that people want to go DO. My schools pre soma club is big and people have been in there since freshman year (way before they would know if they could get into MD or not). I have good grades and am going DO. I choose DO out of high school. I'm not saying that people never go DO because they can't get MD I'm saying its not always the case.

Really, please try and think about some of the possible reasons for a second.

I bolded a couple of thinking points to help get you started.

Really, please try and think about some of the possible reasons for a second.

I bolded a couple of thinking points to help get you started.

If they are joining pre soma clubs freshman year of college that's before they could have possibly been rejected from an allopathic medical school. I choose the DO route out of high school since I really liked a school, know DOs, want to do primary care, cheaper, want to learn OMM, and I have been treated by them. If I really wanted to be an MD I would go to an MD school.

Really didn't want to respond to this thread (dumb thread that isnt neccesary beating a dead horse and what not) . there are just some posts here that made me so mad that I had to respond. Even our local DO adcom has said he had people turn down MD schools. It happens.

If they are joining pre soma clubs freshman year of college that's before they could have possibly been rejected from an allopathic medical school. I choose the DO route out of high school since I really liked a school, know DOs, want to do primary care, cheaper, want to learn OMM, and I have been treated by them. If I really wanted to be an MD I would go to an MD school.

Really didn't want to respond to this thread (dumb thread that isnt neccesary beating a dead horse and what not) . there are just some posts here that made me so mad that I had to respond. Even our local DO adcom has said he had people turn down MD schools. It happens.
?

If they are joining pre soma clubs freshman year of college that's before they could have possibly been rejected from an allopathic medical school.

Let's try a sports analogy again (though you didn't do so well with those before).

I'm a starting football player at a mid-level high school. I'm 5'10 and play wide receiver. I'm pretty good but not great, but I want to keep playing football after high school.

Do I (a) go to Alabama and try to walk on? or (b) go to a D-III school.

In other words...you don't actually have to get rejected to self-select out. Lots of people do it in medicine and other careers.

I choose the DO route out of high school since I really liked a school, know DOs, want to do primary care, cheaper, want to learn OMM, and I have been treated by them. If I really wanted to be an MD I would go to an MD school.

Right I'm not questioning your reasons for going DO. Just pointing out that if there are people who have committed to DO schools straight out of high school, that's your starting pool for a pre-DO club right there.

Even our local DO adcom has said he had people turn down MD schools. It happens.

As @NickNaylor put it above...the fact that others have done it doesn't necessarily mean it's sound decision making.