What do with a year off after undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nka623

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating this May and I'm planning on taking a year off before going to medical school (mostly because I applied late this cycle, and won't get in... long story), so I'll re-apply for Fall 2008 admissions. Anyways, I'm just preparing myself for the most realistic scenario, which is not getting into med school this year. So, what do I do with my year off?

I know I could do one of those one year masters out East, or research for a lab. However, I have no interest in spending 40,000 to get a degree I don't care for, and I've done research already, and I find it to be painfully dull. I want/need to make some money... so I figure I'll get a job. However, I have no idea what kind of job. I have a 3.6 Neuroscience GPA... and it seems that being a neuro major doesn't really qualify you for a "real life" job. So, any suggestion as to what I should do with my year off would be much appreciated. And, for those of you who have taken time off between undergrad and med school, what did you do with your time off, and do medical schools really care what you do with that time? Also, if I do end up getting my masters or working in a lab next year, which would strengthen my application more?

I know it's a lot of questions, but any advice on this would be appreciated. Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm graduating this May and I'm planning on taking a year off before going to medical school (mostly because I applied late this cycle, and won't get in... long story), so I'll re-apply for Fall 2008 admissions. Anyways, I'm just preparing myself for the most realistic scenario, which is not getting into med school this year. So, what do I do with my year off?

I know I could do one of those one year masters out East, or research for a lab. However, I have no interest in spending 40,000 to get a degree I don't care for, and I've done research already, and I find it to be painfully dull. I want/need to make some money... so I figure I'll get a job. However, I have no idea what kind of job. I have a 3.6 Neuroscience GPA... and it seems that being a neuro major doesn't really qualify you for a "real life" job. So, any suggestion as to what I should do with my year off would be much appreciated. And, for those of you who have taken time off between undergrad and med school, what did you do with your time off, and do medical schools really care what you do with that time? Also, if I do end up getting my masters or working in a lab next year, which would strengthen my application more?

I know it's a lot of questions, but any advice on this would be appreciated. Thank you :)

To be short, try and do something that will help your application. When I started my year off I was tempted to get a job making good money and enjoying the year off. Don't do this. I still count myself as lucky nailing my first acceptance this year. The best thing you can do is try to find something you won't mind doing, and something that will make you look like an even more stellar applicant than before. You really don't need to go the masters route - you could always find something non-medically related and try to make time for research/volunteer time.

I knew a few neuroscience grads who went to work for pharmaceutical companies as sales reps. They earned tons of money with just a bachelors.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be short, try and do something that will help your application. When I started my year off I was tempted to get a job making good money and enjoying the year off. Don't do this. I still count myself as lucky nailing my first acceptance this year. The best thing you can do is try to find something you won't mind doing, and something that will make you look like an even more stellar applicant than before. You really don't need to go the masters route - you could always find something non-medically related and try to make time for research/volunteer time.

If you really want to wow admissions create a volunteer project and committ loads of hours into making it work! (better if health related). You would have lot's to talk about in your interview and personal statement.

After college, I did a post bac program, research, and volunteering and am having GREAT success this application round!

Good luck!:)

I applied in for entry in 2005 to only a few schools, ended up waitlisted and dint get in and I decided to bust it for the next year. I finished the clinical work I had been doing from May 04- may 05, Iraised my MCAT from 29 to 34, I did a research fellowship at the NIH and at the same time I got a masters degree from Johns Hopkins (Biochem, Cell & Mol bio). And I applied more widely and submitted everything as soon as possible. I dropped $30K on a masters but ended up getting into some really good programs and got scholarships to two of my top choices, which I dont think I would ahve gotten without my masters. So in the end, spending the $30K probably saved me $150K and got me into better schools. Plus, now that I am here what I learned in my masters has given me a fantastic foundation for medical school to the point where much of what I have been learning this year is review and in some subjects I went into more depth during my masters courses. I'm a big advocate of a masters degree. Hope this helps.

I took a year off also and became certified in phlebotomy and EKG and am now working in a hosptial as a ER Tech. Im getting great experience and had a lot to speak about in interviews. It is also a fun job if you dont mind smells...ha...well good luck

If you feel that you have a strong application and the main reason you will be reapplying is because of your late application, then I wouldn't spend the year doing things you're not too interested in doing just for the sake of impressing medical schools. Maybe just continue volunteering or shadowing a doctor a few hours a week to show you continued interest. But spend most of your time doing something that you really want to do. I really enjoyed my years off because I saw them as a chance pursue all my interests outside of medicine.

I took fun classes: guitar, art, foreign languages, yoga, jewelry making etc. For a source of income, I knew I already had plenty of clinical exposure and will have tons of it once medical school and my career began so I wanted to do something different. I work with autistic kids as a behavior therapist. I teach CPR/First aid. I have my real estate license. I'm a elementary school substitute teacher. I even worked as a server for a little bit. And whenever I got the chance, I traveled.

I didn't get in last year because of a late application and I had not applied broadly enough. This year I applied the first week and got the secondaries in as soon as I could and received several interviews. I have an acceptance and am waiting to hear back from a few schools. At every interview they always ask what I've been doing during the time off. So far all the interviewers have always been impressed and interested in the things I've done. I talk about all the diverse people I've encountered and all the different skills I've acquired. I think it also helped that when I talked about all these things, they can tell I was genuinely happy. If you do something you don't want to and did not enjoy it, they can probably tell during the interviews. Well, I've ranted all long enough, but that's my take on it.

i think med schl admissions committees do care what u do on ur year off, and they WILL ask u about it during ur interviews.

if u can get a job that is health related (whether u're working as a phlebotomist, working in the ER, or doing health-related research), that would be great even if only part time.. then u can spend the rest of ur time doing what u want for fun.

if u do get a "regular" job, make SURE u do something medical as well on the side ... at very least, do some interesting volunteering stuff or shadow a doc.

they will ask you about it!!!

Travel!!!
I wish I would have traveled before med school. If you must stay here then do research (clinical or basic science), get EMT cert and be a ER tech, or do something that makes a lot of money and volunteer. But I would travel if I were you and you have the money

Go to mortician school....dude I was an undertaker and it was the best year of my life!!!

Go to Spain and study Spanish for a year.

Go to Spain and study Spanish for a year.

Or do the same in Latin America for way less money. Guatemala and Costa Rica are great and much cheaper.

Or do the same in Latin America for way less money. Guatemala and Costa Rica are great and much cheaper.

If you like history, Spain and Europe would be better.

I would recommend doing whatever you want supplemented by something medically related-volunteering or a job. Also there are a lot of neuroscience research positions that I am sure you could look into.

If you don't have much clinical experience, then I would work on beefing that up. Getting an EMT, CNA, or phlebotomy certificate, will really let you "try on" the medical profession.

I currently am in my year off, and I'm working in a special ed high school. We have a lot of gang issues, violence, the whole shebang. Since I get paid day to day, I don't need to worry about putting in for time off, I can just go. And I don't have to feel bad about leaving after a year. I am able to be honest with all the people in teh school that I'm going to med school. After I got my first acceptance, the principal made an announcement over the loudspeaker congratulating me. I also have some really good stories, so on all my interviews, I had some interesting things to tell my interviewers. It's a good experience, I get exposure to a different population and get some good stories out of all of it.

i took a year off instead of masters and have gotten more interviews and acceptances than most of them. i think most masters programs are a waste of time and money unless you have a low gpa which you do not. i got a pretty sweet job at a local hospital system training docs. my advice would be to go on a local hospital bigger the better website and look for jobs. they are always looking for people with a college degree to pay small amounts of money ~30k to do a job that requires a college degree.

How do you get your EMT/CNA certificate?

What sort of jobs can you get at a hospital with BS?