Navy What does being a reservist look like after 4 year payback from HPSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CabbageKid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that after 4 years of serving active duty we are required to serve in the reserves for 4 years. What exactly does that look like for a dentist? From what I've heard it is 2 days of drill per month and 2 weeks of something else per year.

Does that mean that we are actually marching 2 days per month?

When we do our 2 weeks, do we get a say in where we go? What will we be doing?

If any past HPSP'ers have any experience with the 4 years as a reservist please let me know! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I know that after 4 years of serving active duty we are required to serve in the reserves for 4 years. What exactly does that look like for a dentist? From what I've heard it is 2 days of drill per month and 2 weeks of something else per year.

Does that mean that we are actually marching 2 days per month?

When we do our 2 weeks, do we get a say in where we go? What will we be doing?

If any past HPSP'ers have any experience with the 4 years as a reservist please let me know! Thanks.
Marching? If it’s anything like the guard you are probably during dental exams wearing ocp

You’re not in the true “reserves”, you’re in the IRR, the inactive ready reserves. You will most likely never hear from or deal with the military during these four years.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You’re not in the true “reserves”, you’re in the IRR, the inactive ready reserves. You will most likely never hear from or deal with the military during these four years.
This.

All that’s required is that you pretty much keep your address and contact information current with them.

Big Hoss

4-year HPSP, you don’t really have an obligation after.

I was surprised to learn recently that my 8 years started the day I commissioned first year of dental school. You are technically IRR during school. So I did not owe any when I left active duty. This info is on NSIPs I believe.

Some guys did direct commission or other programs so and they had to stay IRR, but they literally do nothing.
Yeah, I think you’re wrong on the time in school counting towards your 8 year obligation. Look at Block 6 on your DD214.

Big Hoss

Thanks for the info everyone! Didn’t know the difference between reserve and IRR. Now I do.

You may be right. That's certainly what I thought.

There is something called an MSO date. "Minimum Service Obligation". BUPERS has my MSO date is 8 years from the date I commissioned into the Navy during dental school.

It's possible this was an error. But in my case, they certainly used the MSO date, regardless of what the DD214 said. They don't really care what someone at your command typed into a DD214.

Here is a document explaining the different types of reservists.
I did the HPSP and my 4 year payback. I am still in the IRR after getting out in 2019. How do I know? I have been contacted multiple times to see if I wanted to volunteer for active duty orders to assist with the Navy’s COVID response.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 2 users
This old thread may further shed some light on the matter.

Big Hoss