What Ink Are You Getting for Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheLegendofEdel

Face Re-arranger
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since everyone was making these, I figured I'd make one as well. I know a lot of us on the boards already have some done, but is anyone planning on getting some new ink done before they ship off to med school? If I find a few dollars to throw away, I know I am.

Members don't see this ad.

I know I should fully expect everyone here to completely ignore their own tattoo ideas and post up the most random pictures of tattooed old women that they can find...but I figured it was worth a shot

Me! I really want to add another one. Although I haven't finalized my decision on which one. I'm thinking of a couple that I love.

I have awhile to get it though. What are you wanting to get?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I have one.. I don't know if I will get another, the idea sounds intriguing, but I have no idea what I would get...

Me! I really want to add another one. Although I haven't finalized my decision on which one. I'm thinking of a couple that I love.

I have awhile to get it though. What are you wanting to get?

Well I have a dragon that runs up my arm onto my chest, but I want to add more to it because it's pretty plain. I'd like to try and incorporate it into a sleeve of some sort, but I know I can't go much farther down the arm because it will show when wearing scrubs...

I think I'll tatoo a stethescope around my neck:laugh:

just kidding. I don't have any tattoos, I'm too much of a baby (and afraid I'll hate it 10 minutes after I get one)!

Well... I have one, and one is plenty for me! I've heard people say that tattoos are like plastic surgery, once you get one you want more. However, I'm pretty satisfied with my one tattoo. As for the plastic surgery.... once I get some doctor money!

Well... I have one, and one is plenty for me! I've heard people say that tattoos are like plastic surgery, once you get one you want more. However, I'm pretty satisfied with my one tattoo. As for the plastic surgery.... once I get some doctor money!

You're absolutely right...When I got my first one, I said I'm only getting one and that's final, and it was...until I got the next one about 6 months later...and then the next one a year later...

You're absolutely right...When I got my first one, I said I'm only getting one and that's final, and it was...until I got the next one about 6 months later...and then the next one a year later...

I think I've had at least a year between all of mine. I'm so very addicted to them. To the point that I almost got two with the last one. I think I should just resign myself to what I have otherwise I'll have to be covered head-to-toe in order to hide them. Or finding creative ways of placement.

Oh yeah I'm going to be all about the plastic surgery! Just not yet. As for tattoos, I honestly don't understand the desire to have one, let alone more than one. So in other words I will not be getting any before med school.

Oh yeah I'm going to be all about the plastic surgery! Just not yet. As for tattoos, I honestly don't understand the desire to have one, let alone more than one. So in other words I will not be getting any before med school.

Yeah, for me... I can take 'em or leave 'em. I went with a group of my best friends and we all got tattoed. That was 12 years ago, and I have not had the desire to get another. But, mine is in a place that is easilly hidden, and won't be seen unless I want it seen (or if we are in OMM lab)

just a little something I got during medical school

alien-tattoo-whole-body.jpg

I had to share
My wig goes nicely over my head.

Well I have two and i want a sleeve well probably not a full sleeve and back piece. My first two are only hidden if i don't wear shorts. Hopefully the others won't be too visible lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did. Hurt like hell. But it's my favorite.

Me too, man oh man was I a big baby. I was thinking about adding some things to it but I would have to be pissy drunk in order to do that, but I don't drink so I'm sticking with what I have. lol

I'm almost done with my two short sleeves, and I'm hoping to at least get the outline done for my back piece. It was deffinatley an addiction for me, and one I've got to carefully control 'cause its DAMN expensive. I've actually thought about trying to date my tattoo artist's daughter who works in the shop in hopes of getting a discount! :cool: (OK, a discount is not the ONLY reason I've thought about it!).

So if anyone is going to NSU next year and is curious which one I'll be...just wait 'till OMM lab and it should be pretty easy! :p

Nate.

Noose_1_medium.jpg

Here's what I've got done so far....

I'm almost done with my two short sleeves, and I'm hoping to at least get the outline done for my back piece. It was deffinatley an addiction for me, and one I've got to carefully control 'cause its DAMN expensive. I've actually thought about trying to date my tattoo artist's daughter who works in the shop in hopes of getting a discount! :cool: (OK, a discount is not the ONLY reason I've thought about it!).

So if anyone is going to NSU next year and is curious which one I'll be...just wait 'till OMM lab and it should be pretty easy! :p

Nate.

Awesome! See you at NSU next year! You know, you'll be close to Miami Ink. Might want to hold off on that back piece for a while....

Nate.

I hope to have my back piece done as well before school, and maybe even a half sleeve. But then again I will not be entering med until fall of 2010. LOL so I have a while to go.

My tat of TCOM's minimalist take on the DO symbol on my forearm. Got this a couple weeks after I got accepted. My back has about 10 hours worth on it, and I've got a few more hours worth of stuff on my arm.

noname-1.jpg

textresize.jpg
This is one side of my right leg. I managed to fit the entire prayer of Saint Francis on it.
caduceusresize.jpg
This is the other side of my right leg. I know, before anyone jumps the guns and says "That's not the symbol for medicine, the Staff of Asclepius is." I know that. I got it due to it's early meaning (symbol of peace carried by travelers) and frankly, I don't like the way the staff looks.

armresize.jpg
This is my left arm (and my pet parrot.) This is the exact text from the Edwin Smith Papyrus, tablet number 7. Check this out for a cool story. This is my medical tat.

backresize.jpg
This one on my back (about 4 inches tall) is for all of you Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans out there. Anyone remember Rupert Giles and the Mark of Eyghon? From season two's episode "The Dark Age?" Anyone?... Oh well.

I have my left ribcage done, and hoping to start on my right with another design.

textresize.jpg
This is one side of my right leg. I managed to fit the entire prayer of Saint Francis on it.
caduceusresize.jpg
This is the other side of my right leg. I know, before anyone jumps the guns and says "That's not the symbol for medicine, the Staff of Asclepius is." I know that. I got it due to it's early meaning (symbol of peace carried by travelers) and frankly, I don't like the way the staff looks.

armresize.jpg
This is my left arm (and my pet parrot.) This is the exact text from the Edwin Smith Papyrus, tablet number 7. Check this out for a cool story. This is my medical tat.

backresize.jpg
This one on my back (about 4 inches tall) is for all of you Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans out there. Anyone remember Rupert Giles and the Mark of Eyghon? From season two's episode "The Dark Age?" Anyone?... Oh well.

I love your tats. The one thing I was concerned about was being the only one who has tatts at medical school (I know i havent even applied yet). Of course that doesn't make who I am, but being comfortable is a big issue for me and will play a role in where I go.

Nice tatt. I would love to post mines but its at the peeling phase. LOL definately not attractive right now LOL

Awesome! See you at NSU next year! You know, you'll be close to Miami Ink. Might want to hold off on that back piece for a while....

*LOL* I thought about that briefly...but they're not really the same style as the rest of my work. Besides, I really like my artist, she's done all of my work and we've built up a great relationship. Unfortunately, my work has stalled 'cause I'm short on cash trying to get things payed off before school. Once I sell my motorcycle though I should have a little extra.

So I've only got pics of my first three tats...in order:

tattoo3.jpg

WolfandRaven.jpg

StarTat2.jpg

I'll have to work on getting some pics of my newer work.

Nate.

Yes.. it hurt a lot.. but I'm happy with it :)

High five on the foot tattoos! I have one on my left arch. It didn't take long but it was a lot more painful than the one that I have on my back. I've been trying to figure out what my 3rd one will be. I know what I want but I have yet to find a design that I really like. And so I keep looking.

Me too, man oh man was I a big baby. I was thinking about adding some things to it but I would have to be pissy drunk in order to do that, but I don't drink so I'm sticking with what I have. lol

Scrolling through the thread on a 2-second slow down at work. I had to post. I FULLY agree with the pain. Where the heart is on mine was supposed to be something else, ummm, a bit bigger. I completely wussed out. The part that goes around my ankle was a walk in the park. But Mike (my artist) started on my toe. And I kept jumping. I downed so much tylenol or aleve or something. It took him as long, if not longer, to do that little piece of work as he did on my lower back which has outlining and color and a ton more detail. Sorry the pic is so big!

n828778851_173511_1615.jpg

Scrolling through the thread on a 2-second slow down at work. I had to post. I FULLY agree with the pain. Where the heart is on mine was supposed to be something else, ummm, a bit bigger. I completely wussed out. The part that goes around my ankle was a walk in the park. But Mike (my artist) started on my toe. And I kept jumping. I downed so much tylenol or aleve or something. It took him as long, if not longer, to do that little piece of work as he did on my lower back which has outlining and color and a ton more detail. Sorry the pic is so big!

n828778851_173511_1615.jpg

AAWW that's cute... I want to show mines lol but its peeling ... I tightened up my leg so bad that it was sore for like three days. I tried to quit but Charlie was like HELL NO...you wanted it now your gonna get it. (I was secretly cussing her out with every touch of the needle). So you say the lower back doesn't hurt as bad. LOL I love tattoos but I hate getting them LOL.

I tried to quit but Charlie was like HELL NO...you wanted it now your gonna get it. (I was secretly cussing her out with every touch of the needle). So you say the lower back doesn't hurt as bad. LOL I love tattoos but I hate getting them LOL.

I couldn't quit. I'd heard stories about a big buff dude who had walked out before he was done outlining his back. So I was determined to be tough! Somewhere out there is a big ol' dude with a tattoo that isn't even completely outlined, much less colored. Oh and I just looked back....I cannot believe I called my artist Mike. :laugh: His name is Matt. I'm such a dork. I don't usually call people by the wrong names...

If you've had your foot done, anywhere on the actual foot part, you can handle the back. The parts that were kinda painful when I had my back done were not even close to what I went through with the one in the picture.

And the one between my shoulders: I think I got the rush of endorphins from it. I swear at one point I thought it felt good.

When you stop peeling, I'd like to see what you have. I'm always interested to see other people with foot tattoos.

THIS ONE IS GOING ON MY BACK...FROM TAIL TO BASE OF THE NECK JUST UNDER THE SHIRT LINE...THE WINGS WILL GO OVER MY TRAPS AND ALONG MY PECS...THE WINGS WILL TIE INTO THE COLORING AND STYLE OF THE TWO I ALREADY HAVE ON MY UPPER ARMS.

phxgradcopy.jpg

Is that a phoenix?

Mine were pretty painful. I had it on my ankle, all of the way up my shin bone, on top of the shoulder and into the edge of the armpit. That really sucked. Did my first session of text 3 hours in a row with no break:eek:. I got in the zone and just stayed there. It was AMAZING. All in all I've had about 16-17 hours worth of work. More coming in a few years when I'm not broke!

Mine were pretty painful. I had it on my ankle, all of the way up my shin bone, on top of the shoulder and into the edge of the armpit. That really sucked. Did my first session of text 3 hours in a row with no break:eek:. I got in the zone and just stayed there. It was AMAZING. All in all I've had about 16-17 hours worth of work. More coming in a few years when I'm not broke!

I meant to tell ya, the parrot's a cutie!

I couldn't quit. I'd heard stories about a big buff dude who had walked out before he was done outlining his back. So I was determined to be tough! Somewhere out there is a big ol' dude with a tattoo that isn't even completely outlined, much less colored. Oh and I just looked back....I cannot believe I called my artist Mike. :laugh: His name is Matt. I'm such a dork. I don't usually call people by the wrong names...

If you've had your foot done, anywhere on the actual foot part, you can handle the back. The parts that were kinda painful when I had my back done were not even close to what I went through with the one in the picture.

And the one between my shoulders: I think I got the rush of endorphins from it. I swear at one point I thought it felt good.

When you stop peeling, I'd like to see what you have. I'm always interested to see other people with foot tattoos.

I will definately do that. I wanted to go to this one guy for my back but he is so booked I dont even have a consultation until July. I can't wait until I can get it done.

THIS ONE IS GOING ON MY BACK...FROM TAIL TO BASE OF THE NECK JUST UNDER THE SHIRT LINE...THE WINGS WILL GO OVER MY TRAPS AND ALONG MY PECS...THE WINGS WILL TIE INTO THE COLORING AND STYLE OF THE TWO I ALREADY HAVE ON MY UPPER ARMS.

phxgradcopy.jpg

Thats sweet.

Now you really need to take a pic of that.

Well I have one.. I don't know if I will get another, the idea sounds intriguing, but I have no idea what I would get...

Me too Cass. ;) Mine is pretty unfortunate, yours is really cute!

I just have the teardrops on each eye from my time inside ....

OCHO said:
Yes it is and I will probably get it done in red white blue hehehe
A phoenix was what I wanted for my first one. But I never found a design I liked. That will be a sweet piece when it's done.

You can think sweet...concentrate on the endorphins and stuff. Unless you're gonna be like the big buff guy who walked out my tattoo guy's booth, with a half-outline and no color? ;) Then I'll just have to laugh. And laugh. and laugh. and laugh. :lol:

ALL MUST BOW BEFORE ME
:bow::bow::bow:

:zip::clap::zip:

No bowing here. But I'll clap for ya. And let the monkeys dance.

:)

Ok. Gotta go. I think I've hit emoticon overload.

If I was to get one, I would have to get one like what Andrew Mcmahon from Something Corporate/Jacks Mannequin had done.
jacks.jpg

On his right wrist, its a full color ink of van Gogh's The Starry Night (De sterrennacht) With the word "Music" written in the middle of it.

I want to get this upon admittance to med school - first one.

Attributed to Michelangelo - it means "I am still learning" - a dedication to lifelong learning - appropriate for medicine and my personality.

untitled-3.jpg

I really wanted it on my wrist, but have settled on my lower right back to keep it hidden if need be.

:)

*NOT a tramp stamp since it will be strategically placed on the FAR right side :)

*NOT a tramp stamp since it will be strategically placed on the FAR right side :)

hey now, some of my gfs had "tramp stamps" and they were really not tramps at all...hahah

but still, I like the lettering of the ink and I think that might actually look really nice.

If we are in OMM together - I'll let you see it - this way I can't chicken out of getting it:scared:

Yes it is and I will probably get it done in red white blue hehehe

Thank you it will cost close to 2500 and all the time under that needle I am not sure I will be thinking sweet hehehe

LOL of course not you will be, "WHY IN THE WORLD did I DO THIS" LOL