What kind of doctor do you want to be and why?

corabrickdog

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know kinda random question just wanted to see what kind of medicine people like or what medicine interests people and why.

Thanks,
David

Members don't see this ad.

Something in Neuro. Neurological diseases have plagued my family. I want to do something to cure these diseases.

Take this with a grain of salt. Premeds and Med Students change their mind 90% of the time. However I plan to major in Neuroscience so... I'll let you know how it goes. :thumbup:

A good one. And one who really enjoys his work.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am most interested in serving as a Family Medicine physician for an underserved area within the United States; I am also interested in doing some mission work in parts of Latin America, I am actually working on becoming fluent in Spanish right now. Promoting education is also very close to my heart so I see myself teaching a high school biology class here and there as well, as humorous as that may sound :). Of course, Arijos0222 (I apologize if I mispelled your username) is correct in pointing out the tendency for people to change their minds.

Something in Neuro. Neurological diseases have plagued my family. I want to do something to cure these diseases.

Take this with a grain of salt. Premeds and Med Students change their mind 90% of the time. However I plan to major in Neuroscience so... I'll let you know how it goes. :thumbup:

Sounds really awesome. Can't wait to hear how it goes! Good luck!!!:D

I am most interested in serving as a Family Medicine physician for an underserved area within the United States; I am also interested in doing some mission work in parts of Latin America, I am actually working on becoming fluent in Spanish right now. Promoting education is also very close to my heart so I see myself teaching a high school biology class here and there as well, as humorous as that may sound :). Of course, Arijos0222 (I apologize if I mispelled your username) is correct in pointing out the tendency for people to change their minds.

Sounds really cool. I love Spanish it's an awesome language. And I think it would be really fun to work with other languages in medical field. Love to hear how it goes! Good luck!!! :D

My main interests are cardiology and pulmonology. The heart has always interested me... not going to get all poetic about that though because it'd be paragraphs long.
Oh, surgery (of all kinds) is cool too, and family medicine is another possibility.

I'd also like to practice in another country one day... we'll see how it goes.

My main interests are cardiology and pulmonology. The heart has always interested me... not going to get all poetic about that though because it'd be paragraphs long.
Oh, surgery (of all kinds) is cool too, and family medicine is another possibility.

I'd also like to practice in another country one day... we'll see how it goes.

Lol nice hope you succeed in whatever you decide to do. Good luck!!! :D (just noticed that I say good luck to everyone...) but still good luck!

nice choice! keep it up and reach your dreams. Motivate yourself! :) cheers!

Also, even if you don't specialize, you are encompassing all the information of all specialties. You aren't limited to one region of the body.

More knowledge base as a GP or an Internist, however, I don't think you get the full joy out of curing diseases outright like Surgeons do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Emergency medicine. I want to be needed to be running around and working in a very fast paced environment.

Sent from my Xoom using SDN Mobile

I'm thinking of being in surgery something like trauma or I know this is a big change than surgery is I'm thinking in something in psychology I like to know why people do things that they do and what cause those feelings or emotions to make them do these things.

Emergency medicine. I want to be needed to be running around and working in a very fast paced environment.

Sent from my Xoom using SDN Mobile

That sounds really fun to do. Good luck!!! :D

Probably Radiation Oncology because I really enjoy the integration of physics/technology and medicine. Plus cancer is a super devastating disease so it looks like a area in need of help.

I'm thinking of being in surgery something like trauma or I know this is a big change than surgery is I'm thinking in something in psychology I like to know why people do things that they do and what cause those feelings or emotions to make them do these things.

I my neighbor went to an allopathic medical school. She got her MD/JD from Stanford, was a PGY-3 in General Surg and ended up leaving the program to become a PA. She wasn't happy with that either and when she finished, she ended up getting a Psy.D and she still wasn't content. She went back to school for her MPH and MHA

Now her name is:

Jane Doe, M.D., J.D., PA-C, M.P.H., M.H.A., Psy.D talk about being indecisive :laugh:

Thank goodness her husband is a Cardio thoracic Surgeon. He paid off all that debt already :rolleyes:

I know I want to do some sort of surgery. I've always wanted to physically explore the inside of the body. That's what she said...

Beyond that I'm thinking general surgery. It seems like there are so many different things you can do as a general surgeon. If I had to choose something more specialized I would do cardiac surgery.

I know I want to do some sort of surgery. I've always wanted to physically explore the inside of the body. That's what she said...

Beyond that I'm thinking general surgery. It seems like there are so many different things you can do as a general surgeon. If I had to choose something more specialized I would do cardiac surgery.

I was interested in surgery until I saw a dermoid cyst be removed. Changed my mind real quick. I did fine with everything else, but that one got me. Haha

EDIT: Should have clarified: I was interested in General Surgery until I saw a dermoid cyst be removed. Still interested in other forms of surgery.

Last edited:
I was interested in surgery until I saw a dermoid cyst be removed. Changed my mind real quick. I did fine with everything else, but that one got me. Haha

Haha. I bet.

I really want to become a veterinarian :)

I remember when I was real little I HATED animals lol. I was scared of them and they seem to not like me. As I grew older I began to become aware of the many things involved with animals and how they affect our daily lives everyday. Thank goodness I have a passion for this because I've meet tons of new people and people like me. It's so fascinating to think that people can help and save animals and treat them like their own. It's pretty darn cool if you ask me.

I remember when I was real little I HATED animals lol. I was scared of them and they seem to not like me. As I grew older I began to become aware of the many things involved with animals and how they affect our daily lives everyday. Thank goodness I have a passion for this because I've meet tons of new people and people like me. It's so fascinating to think that people can help and save animals and treat them like their own. It's pretty darn cool if you ask me.

That's awesome. I have two cats and a dog. +three chickens.

I don't like the chickens, but the cats and dogs are nice.

I'm thinking about pathology or psychiatry. Pathology because I'm a real nerd who love to puzzle around on my own and I have a interested in the grotesque (even though I know most pathologists work mostly with biopsies), and psychiatry because I am really interested in the autism spectrum. Well, mainly just Asperger's and they have killed that diagnosis so might as well try to focus more on pathology I suppose :p Or I might develop a interested for something entirely different! So many great options to choose from!

Are you SURE you want to be a Vet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDyyhnCP0_s

Rectal Exam FTW :thumbup:

All jokes aside... That cow will really appreciate it later on. :)

I'm thinking about pathology or psychiatry. Pathology because I'm a real nerd who love to puzzle around on my own and I have a interested in the grotesque (even though I know most pathologists work mostly with biopsies), and psychiatry because I am really interested in the autism spectrum. Well, mainly just Asperger's and they have killed that diagnosis so might as well try to focus more on pathology I suppose :p Or I might develop a interested for something entirely different! So many great options to choose from!

Psychiatry sounds interesting. I considered neuro once too. I wouldn't want to be a pathologist.

I want to go into surgery....I absolutely love the brain and am completely fascinated by it so, I'm leaning towards neuro...but I wouldn't mind trauma either......

I want to go into surgery....I absolutely love the brain and am completely fascinated by it so, I'm leaning towards neuro...but I wouldn't mind trauma either......

Trauma Surg do less operations than other surgical specialties. Also, the lifestyle is bleh and not enough research to be done. It's definitely more hands on and quick thinking involved. I would think that more people die in trauma than other specialties. Some patients can't be saved. Neurosurg can get repetitive from what I've heard, and from what I've seen. The most exciting would have to he Trauma, Cardiothoracic (performing more thoracic cases) and orthopedics.

general surgery has a large variety of cases. Vascular and Plastics can operate all over the body. ENT is pretty sweet, balance of medicine and surgery, same thing with urology. But I digress

lets all focus on getting in first

Last edited:

Trauma Surg do less operations than other surgical specialties. Also, the lifestyle is bleh and not enough research to be done. It's definitely more hands on and quick thinking involved. I would think that more people die in trauma than other specialties. Some patients can't be saved. Neurosurg can get repetitive from what I've heard, and from what I've seen. The most exciting would have to he Trauma, Cardiothoracic (performing more thoracic cases) and orthopedics.

general surgery has a large variety of cases. Vascular and Plastics can operate all over the body. ENT is pretty sweet, balance of medicine and surgery, same thing with urology. But I digress

lets all focus on getting in first

Good article for people considering trauma surgery:

http://www.meritushealth.com/trauma/trauma_surgeon.asp

Good article for people considering trauma surgery:

http://www.meritushealth.com/trauma/trauma_surgeon.asp

I wonder why he has a Ph.D and he is in trauma surgery. I can't really imagine what research he has time for. Maybe he fell in love with trauma after he finished his residency?

Also I wish I were a workaholic like him! I hope I love every aspect of my career when I get there! If I get there...

Last edited:
I wonder why he has a Ph.D and he is in trauma surgery. I can't really imagine what research he has time for. Maybe he fell in love with trauma after he finished his residency?

Also I wish I were a workaholic like him! I hope I love every aspect of my career when I get there! If I get there...

Another awe inspiring workaholic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Carson

I definitely agree....I may have an inclination now towards neuro and trauma and even plastics, but last year I was all for ortho...Let me finish pre-med, med school and get into residency...and see what sparks my interest....but definitely surgery...

I definitely agree....I may have an inclination now towards neuro and trauma and even plastics, but last year I was all for ortho...Let me finish pre-med, med school and get into residency...and see what sparks my interest....but definitely surgery...

I hope you find what sparks your interest during MS3 instead of after med school. :p It isn't just pick a residency and go. You have to get through the match in MS4. That's why the USMLE is so important. Some specialities are harder to match than others.... For example: Radiology, Derm, and Ortho. Better USMLE scores = Better chance in most cases.

I hope you find what sparks your interest during MS3 instead of after med school. :p It isn't just pick a residency and go. You have to get through the match in MS4. That's why the USMLE is so important. Some specialities are harder to match than others.... For example: Radiology, Derm, and Ortho. Better USMLE scores = Better chance in most cases.
That's true - for my residency...I volunteer every summer at a hospital in the different "Wards" so I have gotten a feel as to what I enjoy....I'm going again this summer, so I'll see what I like again - I might have changed since last year....

Would love to become a radiologist, and maybe into a greater field of radiology like interventional radiology. There is just something behind the technology of X rays and such I can't explain it. My dad works in the hospital in town and is good friends with the radiologist and I have been able to sort of shadow him which is a cool experience.

Surgeon or Derma
any form of doctor is fine with me but surgery seems the most interesting as of now

Hey guys, kinda new.

Right now I'm thinking surgery and possibly derm too, but I know I'll probably change my mind a lot more before I get in medical school.

At the moment, I am really interested in neurosurgery. There is still so much to explore and understand about the human brain. There are still neurological disorders that need treatments and even cures. It would be super interesting to remove a tumor on the seventh cranial nerve. Plus, who wouldn't want to open up the head of a human and explore its contents.

On the other hand, I am interested in internal medicine, particularly cardiology, endocrinology, and gastroenterology. Cardiothoracic surgery also interests me. When I do choose which field I will enter, I will try to be the best doctor I can possibly be. At the end of the day, medicine is more about saving lives than money and prestige.

P.S. If I don't get into med school period, then I will pursue my secondary dream of becoming an airline or cargo pilot for a major passenger or cargo airline.

At the moment, I am really interested in neurosurgery. There is still so much to explore and understand about the human brain. There are still neurological disorders that need treatments and even cures. It would be super interesting to remove a tumor on the seventh cranial nerve. Plus, who wouldn't want to open up the head of a human and explore its contents.

On the other hand, I am interested in internal medicine, particularly cardiology, endocrinology, and gastroenterology. Cardiothoracic surgery also interests me. When I do choose which field I will enter, I will try to be the best doctor I can possibly be. At the end of the day, medicine is more about saving lives than money and prestige.

P.S. If I don't get into med school period, then I will pursue my secondary dream of becoming an airline or cargo pilot for a major passenger or cargo airline.

Yeah, all types of surgery sounds interesting.

However, i'm not entirely sure i'm completely cut out for such a masochistic lifestyle :cool:

Also becoming a podiatrist seems like a viable option as well.

Not sure if i'm cut out to be a dentist or pharmacist. I would like more variety of cases with my career.

I also like how you're so specific. 7th Cranial Nerve :laugh:

I wanted to be an airline pilot when I was in middle school. I had all of the flight simulator games such as X-Plane, Flight Gear, etc.

I wanted to be an airline pilot when I was in middle school. I had all of the flight simulator games such as X-Plane, Flight Gear, etc.

When I was in middle school I wanted to be an investor. I read so many different books on investing, but I realize that now it isn't necessarily a career for me... It's more of a hobby. :)

I love investing.

I will be a millionaire by my 30's if my math is correct.

I already own some stock in various companies and upstarts.... My uncle of whom invested in college, used all the money he got from working and he invested it all. He bought shares in pepboys, and some other car related company. He bought a 400K home and a nice Jaguar when he was 22. If only I made 300K a year.

That would all be put in the pocket ;)

When I was in middle school I wanted to be an investor. I read so many different books on investing, but I realize that now it isn't necessarily a career for me... It's more of a hobby. :)

I love investing.

I will be a millionaire by my 30's if my math is correct.

I already own some stock in various companies and upstarts.... My uncle of whom invested in college, used all the money he got from working and he invested it all. He bought shares in pepboys, and some other car related company. He bought a 400K home and a nice Jaguar when he was 22. If only I made 300K a year.

That would all be put in the pocket ;)

That's awesome. Yeah I do some investing. I had AT&T. Then it went up 25% which was my target price point so I sold. Now I do mostly forex. I just do it for fun though. I'm not concerned about money. As long as I'm making at least a good living (and can retire comfortably) I don't really care.

That's awesome. Yeah I do some investing. I had AT&T. Then it went up 25% which was my target price point so I sold. Now I do mostly forex. I just do it for fun though. I'm not concerned about money. As long as I'm making at least a good living (and can retire comfortably) I don't really care.

I suggest investing money early. Hypothetically speaking if you became a surgeon, the length of time lost from investing will hurt.

Compound Interest=$$$$

It's hard to save when you have so much debt and you want to live a decently luxurious life, but that's the mistake that many physicians make when they're outside of residency.

Read books about investing and finance! It's great to start early. I've had a retirement account since I was 13 :laugh:

For an easy read and motivation, I suggest The Millionaire Nextdoor By Thomas J. Stanley, Ph.D

And sorry for being a thread pirate. I stole this thread but i'm giving it back now... :)

I want to be either a emergency room doctor, or a trauma surgeon. But, ER doctors see incredibly crazy things.

Like my mom told me the first take they take people who have been decapitated is to the ER so the doctor can sign a death certificate.

But, this would actually be a good specialty, not the same thing day after day.

Last edited:
This thread is pretty great. I wish there was something like this when I was in HS.

Anyhow, I didn't know what kid of doctor I wanted to be until college, just that I wanted to be one. Don't worry if you aren't sure yet, there is plenty of time to change your mind.

I want to be either a emergency room doctor, or a trauma surgeon. But, ER doctors see incredibly crazy things.

Like my mom told me the first take they take people who have been decapitated is to the ER so the doctor can sign a death certificate.

But, this would actually be a good specialty, not the same thing day after day.

Yeah, I think trauma would definitely be interesting for sure, to say the least