What kind of doctor do you want to be and why?

COOL. Have you been to Mecca? I really wish I could go there but I'm not a muslim :(

I have not, its on the bucket list. Umm, you can go there if your not Muslim though, probably not during Hajj time though

Sent from my LG-MS770 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I have not, its on the bucket list. Umm, you can go there if your not Muslim though, probably not during Hajj time though

Ohhh I see.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, its pretty hard for Muslims to get in there during Hajj time too.

I saw a documentary about Mecca in school. It seems more crowded than traffic in LA on a friday evening.

(necro)bump
fry-can-t-tell-if-o.gif

I want to be a pediatrician to save children. I want to work in the emergency room.

Reactions: 1 users
Emergency Medicine for me! I have been interested in it for a very long time.

I am also extremely interested in microbiology, so that is something I plan to pursue eventually. :)

EDIT: I should probably explain why. :p
I am a person who enjoys fast paced work, plus I enjoy having knowledge in many different subjects. (I'm sort of a "jack of all trades".) As I said earlier, it has also just been something I have held interest in for a long time.

Last edited:
Pain Management Anesthesiology, Emergency Medicine, or Neonatal Hospitalist but who knows I will probably find something that I also like along the way.

Ophthalmology! I interviewed an Ophthalmologist when I was 15 and he was really cool! I really like photography and lenses, so I feel that this field would really interest me. Also, I heard that their hours are pretty good and that they can actually live a life outside of Medicine. Big bonus for me.......there's a lot of stuff that I want to do in life.

Pediatric trauma, pediatric cardio, or pediatric neurosurgery. Anything in peds surgery, or OB.

Members don't see this ad :)
pediatric neurointerventionalcardiothoracicendocrinologist or bust!

Reactions: 2 users
I also like how you're so specific. 7th Cranial Nerve :laugh:

The seventh is one of the most likely nerves to develop a tumor; it even has a name called an acoustic neuroma. He / she probably has some background that let them know that…I certainly did not know that when I was in HS or College. But since you're asking...

Update: this is wrong as pointed out later the 8th is what I was referring to

Last edited:
hi dear friends
thanks for this nice topic
really i will start my residency soon ( General Surgery ) , so i wont talk about speciality but my goal is to be special in my field , there are many good surgeons with great skills , but better than those are skilled university surgeons teaching others and the best of them are those creating a new knowledge
that is why i am interested in the resaerch field although so difficult in our countries

best wishes to you all

Radiation Oncology, because I like technology. My grandpa died of cancer, also. I think I would like it. Maybe open up my own practice, someday.

Otolayngology or Craniofacial surgery. I like the fact that either specialty has the potential to change someones life, both specialties for procedures that range from simple and fast, to intricate and time consuming. They have a good lifestyle, and yet still get the occasional emergency call. Although, I would be fine with any surgical specialty.

Work hard guys. I remember when I was graduating high school, 4 years ago. Now I'm a year behind :rolleyes:
At least it was just because of the MCAT.

The seventh is one of the most likely nerves to develop a tumor; it even has a name called an acoustic neuroma. He / she probably has some background that let them know that…I certainly did not know that when I was in HS or College. But since you're asking...

8th cranial nerve is acoustic neuroma. 7th is often injured due to their proximity.

Reactions: 1 user
It's between trauma surgeon and plastic surgeon. I love working with my hands, and helping people out. I especially work well under pressure. I plan on someday going overseas and doing volunteer work in war-torn countries.

HS student learning the ins and outs of psychiatry and oncology. Not entirely sure medicine is for me yet but if I go with oncology, I would love to find cures for several diseases, especially cancer

Psychiatry always seemed interesting. Talking to people about what really goes on upstairs, especially children and service members. An encounter with a friend of mine made me realize that I go into a totally different mode as a psychiatrist.

Always been fascinated with building things, especially computers. It calmed me down. It is my goal to go to a top college, maybe Johns Hopkins or Naval Academy, and major in either CS/EE or Biomedical engineering/computer science.

My particular interest is in surgery, primarily orthopedic and ophthalmology, but I'm also interested in emergency medicine and psychiatry. I'm drawn to ortho due to the injuries I've sustained throughout my career, and the amount of exceptional medical care I've received from ortho surgeons. I've also had Lasek eye surgery which was made possible through the Army's War-Fighter Refractive Eye Surgery program. It seems simple, but being able to see in "high-definition" without the use of corrective eye wear is an extremely liberating thing. My interest in emergency medicine is somewhat selfish. I'm an adrenaline junkie and I actually enjoy high-stress, fast paced, and complex tasks. My interest in psychiatry really stems from people who have told me that I should be a counselor so I can help people with their problems.

I'd like to be a family physician. You establish long term relationships with your patients and get to know them beyond their chronic heart condition, fractured wrist, etc. You have more of a human connection.

Not only that but if you're good at your job, your patients will trust and respect your opinion and be even more appreciative of the care you're giving them.

Those are both things I know I'd find really rewarding, and the biggest reasons that drive me to be a family physician

I want to be a Primary Care Physician, Im 95% sure that I'd want to be an Internist. I believe in being an advocate for patients, and a gateway if needbe. I have PCOS, and multiple doctors dismissed my concerns, saying that what I cared about (my HEALTH.. they were doctors... I still don't get it...) wasn't important... I think that's so ridiculous.. I finally got one doctor to listen to me, and I was recently diagnosed and started on medicine. However, for the physicians who don't listen.. I want to be one who does. I would love to see more doctors like the one I aspire to be. It shouldn't be that hard to order blood work if the patient thinks something is wrong.. Sorry.. ranting.. but I also love medicine in general (hence.. internist) and I love what can go wrong in the body, and how it can be fixed, be it through medication or diet or whatever.. and I feel a sense of self-gratification from helping people.. Im not going into it for the money.. just to help satisfy my curiosity with medicine and the medical field and having the power to help people.

I want to become a Vascular/Pediatrics Neurologist one day. Stroke runs deep within my family and I want to be able to help those recover from stroke, aneurysms, cerebral hemorrhage, etc. and of course, work with children! I have had thoughts of maybe doing Pediatrics Neurosurgery, but I've never really showed a desire or extreme interest for it.

Hey,

I'd love to be a internist or oncologist. However, as I get closer to entering med school, I might look into general surgery

I want to become a Vascular/Pediatrics Neurologist one day. Stroke runs deep within my family and I want to be able to help those recover from stroke, aneurysms, cerebral hemorrhage, etc. and of course, work with children! I have had thoughts of maybe doing Pediatrics Neurosurgery, but I've never really showed a desire or extreme interest for it.
Read "what I learned in med school." I'm pretty sure the author is a pediatric neurologist and it's a good read.

Actually you can't go to Makkah if your a non-muslim regardless of whether it's hajj time or not.

Awesome topic, I love to read through everyone's thoughts.

Upcoming Senior in Highschool here.
I can't imagine doing anything other than Emergency Medicine or Trauma Surgeon. I love being in the chaos and love taking charge of a situation. A position such as Emergency Medicine would help me become a "Jack of All Trades", bettering my skills in each individual speciality, and in turn hopefully not outsourcing the patients to another doctor in that speciality.

Then there's always the backup route, my parents have some deep ties with some "head-honchos" in the Oncology field here in Houston, I just have never taken an interest in Oncology, but it's interesting to think that perhaps in my lifetime, the cures for cancer will be produced.

Good Luck to all, and I'm glad I found StudentDoctor.net. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Student in undergrad here.

I've developed a high interest in critical care medicine. Specifically, now with the peds-anesthesia combined residency, I'm very very interested in doing both peds critical care plus peds anesthesia.

I've always felt like pediatrics is the most important/greatest field in medicine. I love children and I definitely would want to better the world by giving the best care to our younger generation.

NeuroCritical care (both adult and peds) and neonatology are also careers I've been looking into. Any of the critical care fields, really!

Well i love to be a pediatric, to serve kids in a better manner, I believe our country requires good pediatrics. If we work hard for the coming generation than a day will come when kids wouldn't die due to lack of proper care.

I want to be an Oncologist.

Last edited: