What kind of doctor do you want to be and why?

Well a physical therapist isn't really a surgeon type of doctor lol, but that's what i want to do. I started liking physical therapy after I really got into bodybuilding, body science is the only type of science I like.

Members don't see this ad.

Well a physical therapist isn't really a surgeon type of doctor lol, but that's what i want to do. I started liking physical therapy after I really got into bodybuilding, body science is the only type of science I like.

Physical Therapy is a great career choice. :thumbup:

Good to know, i'm going to try to get some observation hours to see how it really is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I think trauma would definitely be interesting for sure, to say the least

lol pretty much. I mean maybe I'd get tired of guns and stabbings, but people are stupid, and will always find new ways to hurt themselves :laugh: .

My pride and joy is neurology. It is my love if I could marry it I would unfortunately its not a human its not exactly feasible, but I definitely want to go in to some form of neurology its just so intriguing.

lol pretty much. I mean maybe I'd get tired of guns and stabbings, but people are stupid, and will always find new ways to hurt themselves :laugh: .

1de1ae8219d4621dcf586931cb97fecf.jpg

GOD BLESS AMURICA

Last edited:
I want to be an anesthesiologist! Taking away a patients pain seems fulfilling to me. :)

I want to be an anesthesiologist! Taking away a patients pain seems fulfilling to me. :)

Anesthesia seems slightly repetitive. That goes with other specialties too, but with anesthesia it's basically administering medication.... All day erryday

@sandman95, that's cool! I actually thought of that too, it seems like its a good simple job to get paid a lot.. Personally I do agree with arijos that it'd get boring, but hey, some people like order. I personally like the choas ;)

@sandman95, that's cool! I actually thought of that too, it seems like its a good simple job to get paid a lot.. Personally I do agree with arijos that it'd get boring, but hey, some people like order. I personally like the choas ;)

I don't think we could be Pharmacists. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, my cousin, who's a nursing student, always tells me If you just want the money go into investment banking :laugh:.

Lol people always say that. Obviously it has a MUCH higher ceiling than medicine, but to get rich in investment banking, you really need to be a top student and go to top 20 schools and a top 10 MBA program to really make a lot of money.

Also, you don't have the job security. People get laid off, etc.

I say if you want money, learn to invest and become a self employed professional (accountant, doctor, most likely dentist) and learn to be an entrepreneur.

Getting that coveted million dollar salary is pretty rare. One's best bet to a high net worth and wealth is being a dentist (not joking)

Notice how I said "best bet"

It's way more likely. Not that you'll be driving a Bugatti, but you'll definitely be a millionaire if you do the right things with your money.

I want to be either a emergency room doctor, or a trauma surgeon. But, ER doctors see incredibly crazy things. .

Yes. All doctors do, but there is a special amount of crazy concentrated in the ER.

Like my mom told me the first take they take people who have been decapitated is to the ER so the doctor can sign a death certificate. .

Not true. If the person is dead, they call the coroner and do not take them to the ER. A dead, decapitated person does not need the ER and it is not a good use of resources to transport them there just to have to then transfer them to the city morgue for evidence collection and autopsy (if it is an unnatural death). Some patients come into the ER with paramedics still doing CPR trying to revive them---in these cases, the ER doctor will sign the death certificate once the patient is pronounced dead, and then report the death to the relevant agencies (coroner, organ donation services, etc.)

There is a special amount of crazy concentrated in the ER.

Indeed.

In elementary school I wanted to be a neurosurgeon
In high school I wanted to be a forensic pathologist
In college I wanted to be a general surgeon or cardiologist
I ended up going into emergency medicine; I would go crazy working in any of those other fields. Just as many cardiologists/surgeons/pathologists would go crazy working in my field.

Most of us end up where we are supposed to be and it's rarely where we start out heading for.

I my neighbor went to an allopathic medical school. She got her MD/JD from Stanford, was a PGY-3 in General Surg and ended up leaving the program to become a PA. She wasn't happy with that either and when she finished, she ended up getting a Psy.D and she still wasn't content. She went back to school for her MPH and MHA

Now her name is:

Jane Doe, M.D., J.D., PA-C, M.P.H., M.H.A., Psy.D talk about being indecisive :laugh:

Thank goodness her husband is a Cardio thoracic Surgeon. He paid off all that debt already :rolleyes:
lol.....that's a lot of things to do - one cannot help but be somewhat impressed by the sheer number of titles she has after her name....and wonder about her indecisiveness....wow...

Indeed.

In elementary school I wanted to be a neurosurgeon
In high school I wanted to be a forensic pathologist
In college I wanted to be a general surgeon or cardiologist
I ended up going into emergency medicine; I would go crazy working in any of those other fields. Just as many cardiologists/surgeons/pathologists would go crazy working in my field.

Most of us end up where we are supposed to be and it's rarely where we start out heading for.

I'm thinking Trauma Surgery now.

To be honest, I don't know about that... Urology has surgery :naughty:

That is true. But I don't know how comfortable I would be spending my whole career operating...well.... down there.... :scared:

No homo. :)

Sent from my LG-MS770 using SDN Mobile

If you read a Urologist's mind, I think that 99.99999999213231% of them would say that they did Urology because of the "lifestyle" and the big paycheck :cool:

If you read a Urologist's mind, I think that 99.99999999213231% of them would say that they did Urology because of the "lifestyle" and the big paycheck :cool:

That is a good point. They do make a heck of a lot of money (probably because no one wants to do it and there's the issue of supply/demand).

That is a good point. They do make a heck of a lot of money (probably because no one wants to do it and there's the issue of supply/demand).

Don't forget all of the penis jokes.

I am most interested in serving as a Family Medicine physician for an underserved area within the United States; I am also interested in doing some mission work in parts of Latin America, I am actually working on becoming fluent in Spanish right now. Promoting education is also very close to my heart so I see myself teaching a high school biology class here and there as well, as humorous as that may sound :). Of course, Arijos0222 (I apologize if I mispelled your username) is correct in pointing out the tendency for people to change their minds.

Sounds Very cool! I plan to be a Radiologist, its captured me since middle school and have spoken to many doctors in this field. It fits my personality and liking over the years but im open to change and its very possible while during my years in college. I also intend to learn German and French for family heritage reasons, but i should be learning fluent Spanish first :rolleyes: since i live in Florida haha.

Sounds Very cool! I plan to be a Radiologist, its captured me since middle school and have spoken to many doctors in this field. It fits my personality and liking over the years but im open to change and its very possible while during my years in college. I also intend to learn German and French for family heritage reasons, but i should be learning fluent Spanish first :rolleyes: since i live in Florida haha.

Good plan, señor! Es bueno!!!

Is it bad that the only reason I learned Spanish was to increase my client base as a practicing physician?

No. My Spanish teacher asked me why I decided to stay in Spanish even though I have 2 yrs foreign Lang. That's basically what I said.

No. My Spanish teacher asked me why I decided to stay in Spanish even though I have 2 yrs foreign Lang. That's basically what I said.

YESS I'm not the only one :cool:

I thought I was the only one who thought about those things :laugh:

I also want to learn Spanish just for when I'm a doctor.. Ah, we're smart :D

Guys , slow down. There's more to life then medicine. Sure its great to learn Spanish for the sake of treating patients (and at the current rate there will be a lot more Hispanics in this country), but learn it to expand your horizons. You can travel and not need a translator or whatever, it gives a glimpse to other cultures as well. Not to mention that Spanish speaking girls (and guys!) are generally sexy. :)
I am still in the process of becoming fluent, but my mom is Puerto Rican, so I have an alterior motive, but I still want to learn Arabic and French just for the experience.

Guys , slow down. There's more to life then medicine. Sure its great to learn Spanish for the sake of treating patients (and at the current rate there will be a lot more Hispanics in this country), but learn it to expand your horizons. You can travel and not need a translator or whatever, it gives a glimpse to other cultures as well. Not to mention that Spanish speaking girls (and guys!) are generally sexy. :)
I am still in the process of becoming fluent, but my mom is Puerto Rican, so I have an alterior motive, but I still want to learn Arabic and French just for the experience.

I agree.

I dislike how there are so many languages though. I fear of traveling to other countries because if i'm not near a tourist attraction, people will be scared of me as a foreigner.

I imagine myself getting stranded in the middle of Scotland for this very reason, though, scotland is remarkably scenic :love:

Last edited:

Ouch. Arabic is a pain. I tried learning it. There are so many irregular verbs. Plus they don't write in vowels so you have to guess them from the context of the writing. And the alphabet is annoying because there are 28 letters but each letter has four different forms: Standalone, Beginning of word, middle of word, end of word. You have to memorize each form. The pronunciation is also a pain.

Is it bad that the only reason I learned Spanish was to increase my client base as a practicing physician?
Don't worry...I learned french for the exact same reason :) Everyone goes "Oh you like french?" and I'm just like "Yeah...that's why I picked it..." or if I feel like being honest "No, I want to take french so that I am able to increase my client base as a practicing physician." Then then just look at me...Ok then...;b (I'm sorry your child didn't think of it first ;b)

I also want to learn Spanish just for when I'm a doctor.. Ah, we're smart :D
I volunteered in a California hospital - the only spanish I know is from Dora and from the hospital (so basically medical spanish...) :)

I volunteered in a California hospital - the only spanish I know is from Dora and from the hospital (so basically medical spanish...) :)

I learned more Spanish from watching Dora than from listening to my Spanish 1 teacher :laugh:

I learned Spanish from a textbook and traveling to Costa Rica.

Ouch. Arabic is a pain. I tried learning it. There are so many irregular verbs. Plus they don't write in vowels so you have to guess them from the context of the writing. And the alphabet is annoying because there are 28 letters but each letter has four different forms: Standalone, Beginning of word, middle of word, end of word. You have to memorize each form. The pronunciation is also a pain.

I already know how to read Arabic (Quran) and I've been hearing it my entire life so I understand a little bit. That being said, its still really hard lol.

I already know how to read Arabic (Quran) and I've been hearing it my entire life so I understand a little bit. That being said, its still really hard lol.

Just curious. Are you a muslim?