What should I do with my life.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DannMann99

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You guys have always helped me out and i'm coming to you yet again.

I'm an MS3, and at this point in my career I'm seriously reconsidering medicine...

So far i've completed: Obgyn, Psych, Path, Gen Surg, Ortho, Rads/radonc, Imed, and currently in cardiology.
The only rotations left this year is family, peds, gi... I don't expect to like family, I hate kids...

Nothing has jumped out at me and on a scale of 0 to 10, i feel like most of my rotations had been about a 4, the most enjoyable rotations had been the ones which let me out early/days off, and required the least out of me.

So I'm here now wondering what should I do with my life, Can I feasibly get a job out of medical school with a DO degree doing something else? What kind of ball park pay can I expect (will i be able to pay off my loans)?
I really want to know if anyone knows a place where I can see some options!

Hope you can help, hope I didn't sound like a lazy whiney bitch; as everything I'd written are my true feelings.

-Dan

Members don't see this ad.

If you complete medical school there are several options open to you:

1) get involved in research.
2) Work in Pharma. Work with clinical trials, talk about the drug, etc.
3) Hospital administration
4) work in government regarding health care policy
5) Work in Insurance
6) Teach

There once was a resident that decided towards the end of their intern year that medicine was not for them but rather being a professional poker player was. She left medicine and moved to Las Vegas where she made $300,000 in her first tournament. While I never met her, many residents where I rotate did.

Assuming you're not a troll and are looking for a serious response... (btw, for an MS3, you've had a number of very bizarre rotations: path?, rads/radonc?)

1. Consider taking a year off between MS3 and MS4. You can spend it doing research or whatever. More importantly, it'll give you some time to think carefully about whether a change in your career is necessary. There are other threads about alternative career options for medical grads, but they are limited (biotech medical consultant, patent attorney are two that jump to mind... I've heard of doctors that are full-time expert witnesses for court-cases). Paying off loans is certainly going to be a huge obstacle.

2. If you do want to pursue life as a physician, then break it down simply. What kind of physician life would you get the most satisfaction out of? Do you want mostly inpatient or outpatient work? Do you want to be in the OR? How willing are you to compromise lifestyle for work?

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming you're not a troll and are looking for a serious response... (btw, for an MS3, you've had a number of very bizarre rotations: path?, rads/radonc?)

1. Consider taking a year off between MS3 and MS4. You can spend it doing research or whatever. More importantly, it'll give you some time to think carefully about whether a change in your career is necessary. There are other threads about alternative career options for medical grads, but they are limited (biotech medical consultant, patent attorney are two that jump to mind... I've heard of doctors that are full-time expert witnesses for court-cases). Paying off loans is certainly going to be a huge obstacle.

2. If you do want to pursue life as a physician, then break it down simply. What kind of physician life would you get the most satisfaction out of? Do you want mostly inpatient or outpatient work? Do you want to be in the OR? How willing are you to compromise lifestyle for work?

Yea. I had a elective rotation I decided to try Path out, and at PCOM they give us a month of radiology, but during my ortho rotation I had the opportunity to spend time with clinical radiologists and a few days in radonc.

Thanks for the advice guys.

You sound seriously burnt out.

What did you want to do before you went into med school? Are you an adrenaline junkie or do you like the slower pace? Do you like fixing puzzles? Do you like REALLY REALLY sick folks? Do you like instantaneous gratification (i.e. surgery)? Do you not like patients at all? What classes in med school really made you excited to learn?

You sound seriously burnt out.

What did you want to do before you went into med school?
Sad thing is I'm not really sure, I kind of picked this senior year of highschool, never really thought it would ever work out... But somehow it did and here I am.

Are you an adrenaline junkie or do you like the slower pace?
I'd say slower pace, but not too mindnumbing.

Do you like fixing puzzles? Do you like REALLY REALLY sick folks?
Puzzles somewhat; Sick folks probably not so much, I don't want to be constantly put in snap decisions.

Do you like instantaneous gratification (i.e. surgery)?
Disliked my surgery rotation, I like the idea of it but don't want the lifestyle, don't like many of the personalities, and the ancillary staff seemed pissy all the time too.

Do you not like patients at all?
I do like some patient interaction, that's was the downside to the path rotation.

What classes in med school really made you excited to learn?
Possibly neuro, but through the first 2 years I was never super excited for anything... I just kept plowing through the work like everyone else, never really had a topic where I was like 'I love this'.

Hope I'm not burnt out, a little early in the career for that no?

Sad thing is I'm not really sure, I kind of picked this senior year of highschool, never really thought it would ever work out... But somehow it did and here I am.

Puzzles somewhat; Sick folks probably not so much, I don't want to be constantly put in snap decisions.

Disliked my surgery rotation, I like the idea of it but don't want the lifestyle, don't like many of the personalities, and the ancillary staff seemed pissy all the time too.

I do like some patient interaction, that's was the downside to the path rotation.

Possibly neuro, but through the first 2 years I was never super excited for anything... I just kept plowing through the work like everyone else, never really had a topic where I was like 'I love this'.

Surprised no one has suggested anesthesiology yet. After residency, get an easy job at an ASC or an equivalent. ASA 1 and 2 pts all day, low stress but occasional excitement, and good pay and great lifestyle.

This really sounds like Rads to me, I'm really suprised you didn't like your radiology rotation if these answers are truly what you're looking for.

This really sounds like Rads to me, I'm really suprised you didn't like your radiology rotation if these answers are truly what you're looking for.

I scored dead average on my comlex, and have scored slightly below average in my gpa for MS1 and MS2. No extra curriculars, no honor society, no feeding poor homeless hungry people or teaching illeterates to read either unfortunately.

Pretty confident rad and anesthesia are not going to happen for me.

This question has come up quite a few times over in gen res, so you are not unique in having these feelings.

One thing I always bring up is occupational or preventive medicine. I think these should be considered by people like you for a few reasons:

1. Only one year of a "traditional" residency is required. You can do any clinical PGY1 and be eligible for an Occ/prevmed residency. It shouldn't be too hard to find a PGY1 that isn't excruciating and, believe it or not, not all of the more "cushy" prelim years will be competitive.

2. Year 2 is almost always an MPH or a related degree. Most MPH programs aren't known for being excruciatingly hard if you have at least some interest in the subject.

3. Year three is the training in occupational or public health. Neither is a hardcore, lots of call residency.

4. Varying degrees of clinical-ness. Prevmed, to my (limited) understanding, is the least clinical-most focused on bigger picture, policy stuff. Occupational health can be more clinical, but has other features like ergonomics and workplace safety. Many of these jobs are business hour, no-to-minimal call type positions. Some interesting subs in the career like aerospace medicine.

5. Fellowship in toxicology is available to occ/prevmed trained. Kindof an interesting field in my eyes. Clinical without having to be buried in the weeds of clinical medicine.

6. Despite being a reasonably uncompetitive field to get into and one that doesn't crush you during residency, it does make you pretty marketable. As above, my impression is the practice environments can have good variety.

Just some thoughts.

This question has come up quite a few times over in gen res, so you are not unique in having these feelings.

One thing I always bring up is occupational or preventive medicine. I think these should be considered by people like you for a few reasons:

1. Only one year of a "traditional" residency is required. You can do any clinical PGY1 and be eligible for an Occ/prevmed residency. It shouldn't be too hard to find a PGY1 that isn't excruciating and, believe it or not, not all of the more "cushy" prelim years will be competitive.

2. Year 2 is almost always an MPH or a related degree. Most MPH programs aren't known for being excruciatingly hard if you have at least some interest in the subject.

3. Year three is the training in occupational or public health. Neither is a hardcore, lots of call residency.

4. Varying degrees of clinical-ness. Prevmed, to my (limited) understanding, is the least clinical-most focused on bigger picture, policy stuff. Occupational health can be more clinical, but has other features like ergonomics and workplace safety. Many of these jobs are business hour, no-to-minimal call type positions. Some interesting subs in the career like aerospace medicine.

5. Fellowship in toxicology is available to occ/prevmed trained. Kindof an interesting field in my eyes. Clinical without having to be buried in the weeds of clinical medicine.

6. Despite being a reasonably uncompetitive field to get into and one that doesn't crush you during residency, it does make you pretty marketable. As above, my impression is the practice environments can have good variety.

Just some thoughts.

This is solid advice. I know a DO in occupational med, and he really enjoys it. Not only did he get the chance to start working for a bigger group and move up to a mixed business/med director (while still doing clinical) type position, but the hours are honestly 8-5 with no call, and he told me he actually honed his OMM skills and utilizes them in practice now. I've heard dealing with workman's comp can be a pain, but a lot of people seem to do quite well with occ med and it does seem to appeal to a lot of people who aren't totally jazzed on clinical medicine and like to mix it up (work more on the preventive side, do toxic like you're saying, or integrate things like reviewing cases for insurance companies).

You could also always look into things like becoming an expert medical witness (don't know what type of residency this requires though), going into health admin, pumping botox, etc.

Forensic psychiatry? Forensic pathology?

I scored dead average on my comlex, and have scored slightly below average in my gpa for MS1 and MS2. No extra curriculars, no honor society, no feeding poor homeless hungry people or teaching illeterates to read either unfortunately.

Pretty confident rad and anesthesia are not going to happen for me.

I have a friend who was about the same as you in third year (ie average scores, nothing else outstanding). He rocked Step 2 and ended up with more anesthesia interviews than he knows what to do with.

Members don't see this ad :)

PM&R is another consideration. You will have plenty of neurology patients to work with. Very low stress, good hours. All your patients have their entire medical workup already completed and if anyone becomes even remotely sick, you just transfer them back to the nearest inpatient service until they're all fixed up again. :p

Oh, and btw. PM&R is not a very competitive specialty. Neither is anesthesia, for that matter... though word on the street is it is becoming more so.

As someone now out of all training and working I would caution you not to walk away from what you have already invested. Its gets better and better as long as you pick a specialty that fits your personality. This may sound strange but if no specialty would make you happy, nothing will. You are burned out and sick of being the pee-on. This will change. get a hobby, etc. and try to find pleasure in life apart from work. Someday soon who will be the big cheese with a big paycheck and that may change your outlook...:cool:

As you answered this list above I was already thinking neurology before you said it. PM&R was mentioned and that is what I do. I would say if you liked OMT do PM&R, if not do another Neuro rotation (do one with plenty of outpatient not just inpt) and reconsider that.

I currently love my job but if I was family med I could be miserable. You can always switch specialties too. Keep your chin up hombre. Don't walk away.

PM&R is another consideration. You will have plenty of neurology patients to work with. Very low stress, good hours. All your patients have their entire medical workup already completed and if anyone becomes even remotely sick, you just transfer them back to the nearest inpatient service until they're all fixed up again. :p

Oh, and btw. PM&R is not a very competitive specialty. Neither is anesthesia, for that matter... though word on the street is it is becoming more so.

+1

Although I loved every word of J-Rad's post on Prev/Occ/Tox Med, IMO it sounds like PM&R would be a great fit for you. Try an elective in PM&R early next year.

(Don't quote me, but I believe there is a nice cluster of PM&R residencies in the Northeast, and the PM&R market is quite popular in the Southeast; especially, if you try a fellowship in Pain Med afterwards - Please, someone correct me if I'm incorrect on these statements)

Bon Chance!:xf:

Last edited:
As always you guys are the best, I hadn't thought of PM&R because it really bored me in M2... But it might be up my alley, Neuro I was already tossing around, and I've never even contemplated occupational medicine.

So it seems like all 3 of those require a intern year.

So 4th year i'll try to do neuro/physiatry/occ med rotations in hospitals i'd like to intern at to feel the specialties out. I'll do an intern year, and hopefully decide between the three.

If all else fails I guess i'll just do an intern year and try to work in research or industry or God knows what.

One final question though, can one actually do a rotation in occupational medicine? I've never even heard of it before this, and i'd probably have to bite an elective to do it... but is it even worth it?

You are burned out and sick of being the pee-on.

Good advice, but I thought this part was funny. Did you mean peon, a menial worker or drudge, or pee-on, one who is urinated on? I admit the definitions are very similar. :laugh:

Good advice, but I thought this part was funny. Did you mean peon, a menial worker or drudge, or pee-on, one who is urinated on? I admit the definitions are very similar. :laugh:

Hahaha I'm glad I'm not the only one who caught this!

This is one area that may be a downer for neurology, since many of your patients will be very sick. Then again, this is true for inpatients on most services anyhow. Hence, the reason they are "inpatient". ;)

STOP! Whatever you don't quit! A good friend of mine went haywire like you at the end of 3rd year and quit despite my best efforts. He moved back with his parents and tried getting a job in the "real world". Truth was, he couldn't do anything with his 3 years of med school. In college he had gone the biology route and the limited jobs available for a bachelor's in bio were already taken or offered only unpaid research spots. Long story short, he has tried re-applying to our med school without any success, so he could finish his fourth year. Now he admits that it was the worst mistake he made in his life.
My advice to you: Take a mini vacation (a week?). Go someplace new. Relax and learn to enjoy your life again. Give your rotations a chance but also treat them like a job. Its something you have to do. Meaning you don't have to derive the meaning of life from your job. It would help immensely if you could but millions of people have jobs that are just that. I know many an attending who work hard, but are out vacationing in far away places or enjoying life any chance they get. Choose an "easier" residency. Mind you, neurology is not cake. I am a neuro resident and can tell you from experience that with the advent of tpa, every nut with a tingling pinky gets stroke alerted by the ER and call nights can get from hectic to hell. Also neuro deals with diseases that most docs only read about in 2nd yr med school, meaning you are the only 'expert' for miles and have to study accordingly.​
There are plenty of residencies in fields that are not as 'intense' -as mentioned above, that are still very interesting. Also, there are some osteopathic residencies that are based in small hospitals that are not too demanding from what I hear.​
The first 3 years of med school were brutal for all of us. It was impossible to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Now I am glad I stuck to it as I love my job. Also the thought of a fat paycheck in a few years keeps me going strong. :D

just wanted to add onto this thread, i consider myself to be in a similiar position as the OP...with PM&R residencies being primarily at allopathic hospitals, how compeitive woudl someone with average board scores and below avg. gpa (with not a whole lot of activities) be? or even something like neuro, isnt it hard to get into? thanks

just wanted to add onto this thread, i consider myself to be in a similiar position as the OP...with PM&R residencies being primarily at allopathic hospitals, how compeitive woudl someone with average board scores and below avg. gpa (with not a whole lot of activities) be? or even something like neuro, isnt it hard to get into? thanks

Unless things have drastically changed in the last few years, pencil + pulse =PM&R. Especially as an American trained student.

Unless things have drastically changed in the last few years, pencil + pulse =PM&R. Especially as an American trained student.
Agreed. In general neither neurology nor PM&R are considered competitive specialties. If you want the specialty, you'll almost certainly find a place willing to take you. Just make sure the program isn't malignant. (Bleagh, residency life is hard enough as it is.)

Now I don't know about PM&R, but keep in mind that there are also osteopathic neurology residencies available (e.g. Botsford). Regardless, even at allopathic programs, there are plenty of DO's in both specialties. Which makes a lot of sense, since training in OMT is actually quite useful for both fields. Biggest exception being... never ever mention HVLA of the cervical spine to a neurologist.

This is kind of a sad story, I hope it works out for you. You can always go into teaching, med school or undergrad I'm sure. You won't make what practicing physicians will make, obviously, but the lifestyle seems great and I personally like the idea of teaching collage aged kids. You'll find something that you like. Theres certainly no such thing as having too high a degree. I'd definately finish school though, you've gone too far to turn back. Hang in there.

To the OP, I definitely understand what you are going through. I'm a physiatrist and ABSOLUTELY LOVE my field. I'm glad to see that you are interested in learning about the field.

Aside from researching more specialties, I found this survey to be pretty helpful as a medical student. I'm sure there are a ton of these some of which you may have completed already. I suggest that you start here as well.
http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/specialties/

It is true that the our average Step 1 is on the lower end along with family medicine and psychiatry. We are usually lumped into the "lifestyle" specialties because of the predictable nature of our work day. Our knowledge base is certainly broad ranging from neurology, orthopedics, rheumatology, musculoskeletal medicine.

Aside from the fact the OP mentioned neurology as a potential interest, why does the forum think that PM&R is a good fit for the OP? Just curious...

Aside from the fact the OP mentioned neurology as a potential interest, why does the forum think that PM&R is a good fit for the OP? Just curious...

Because...

The only rotations left this year is family, peds, gi... I don't expect to like family, I hate kids...

Nothing has jumped out at me and on a scale of 0 to 10, i feel like most of my rotations had been about a 4, the most enjoyable rotations had been the ones which let me out early/days off, and required the least out of me.

-Dan

:prof:

(Oh, and his interest in neuro - which is a lot of PM&R)

....and what about the cleverly highlighted areas would make anyone a good physiatrist?

....and what about the cleverly highlighted areas would make anyone a good physiatrist?

I never said he'd make a good physiatrist (I don't even know him). I just used process of elimination based on what he wrote above and his interest in neuro to pick the best fit (IMO).
(... similar to what the MSAT link you posted will do once he takes it)

Nothing more; nothing less.

Results are in! I bolded what I thought I was smart enough to get into...

Eh, lot of things to think about.

Rank Specialty Score
1 radiology 42
2 urology 40
3 dermatology 40
4 anesthesiology 40
5 radiation oncology 39
6 colon & rectal surgery 39
7 neurology 38
8 gastroenterology 38
9 pulmonology 38
10 otolaryngology 37
11 ophthalmology 37
12 endocrinology 37
13 neurosurgery 37
14 allergy & immunology 37
15 thoracic surgery 36
16 physical med & rehabilitation 36
17 pediatrics 36
18 pathology 36
19 psychiatry 36
20 preventive med 36
21 occupational med 36

22 aerospace med 35
23 orthopaedic surgery 35
24 nuclear med 35
25 rheumatology 35
26 general internal med 35
27 family practice 34
28 emergency med 34

29 cardiology 34
30 nephrology 34
31 med oncology 34
32 infectious disease 34
33 general surgery 34

34 plastic surgery 33
35 hematology 33
36 obstetrics/gynecology 31

Great first step! I would use the rest of your 3rd year to learn more about some of the top specialties on this list. Don't sell yourself short so really try to look for a specialty that actually interests you.

Make sure to keep us posted as you go through. I'm interested to see where you end up!

Sounds like Preventive Medicine or PM&R.

I originally did a 3 year residency in clinical pathology, very limited patient care (in Transfusion Medicine and Hematopathology). I am licensed and for the life of me could not find a job. (So, firstly, don't do clinical pathology, Ph.ds can do the job for less and unless you do multiple fellowships, getting a position in a city you want is impossible.)

I had a position working for the government in Health Care Administration, writing medical policy and doing some physicals; I enjoyed it tremendously. But now since the economy is soooo bad, I was laid off and STILL cannot find a clinical path position or any other pharma, teaching position without research or decent paying government entity. (However, I refuse to work for the Board of Prisons.)

I intend to complete another residency in Preventive Medicine or PM&R, salaries are reasonable and there is patient care in occupational medicine. Hours are excellent.

Do not quit. I can't find a position with a us med school completed, 3 year us residency and unrestricted medical license. (Making 60k, if you find a job in this economy, is just not going to cut it to pay off student loans.)

Thanks for posting this, it was fun. However, I don't put much merit into it. 3 things I know I certainly have no interest in popped into my top 5 (derm, rads and peds).

What other specialties are in your top 10 according to that survey?

The survey is a nice self-reflective exercise which helps narrows down your options (or at least a starting point) if you need more direction. I doubt that it's a validated test but its also free!

Sounds like Preventive Medicine or PM&R.

I originally did a 3 year residency in clinical pathology, very limited patient care (in Transfusion Medicine and Hematopathology). I am licensed and for the life of me could not find a job. (So, firstly, don't do clinical pathology, Ph.ds can do the job for less and unless you do multiple fellowships, getting a position in a city you want is impossible.)

I had a position working for the government in Health Care Administration, writing medical policy and doing some physicals; I enjoyed it tremendously. But now since the economy is soooo bad, I was laid off and STILL cannot find a clinical path position or any other pharma, teaching position without research or decent paying government entity. (However, I refuse to work for the Board of Prisons.)

I intend to complete another residency in Preventive Medicine or PM&R, salaries are reasonable and there is patient care in occupational medicine. Hours are excellent.

Do not quit. I can't find a position with a us med school completed, 3 year us residency and unrestricted medical license. (Making 60k, if you find a job in this economy, is just not going to cut it to pay off student loans.)

PM&R is an awesome field and I'm definitely glad that I chose it. Make sure to get both inpatient and outpatient exposure. Despite the swing of outpatient bound graduates, many of the interviewers still like to see well-informed candidates. Let me know if you have any questions...

What other specialties are in your top 10 according to that survey?

The survey is a nice self-reflective exercise which helps narrows down your options (or at least a starting point) if you need more direction. I doubt that it's a validated test but its also free!

.Rank.
1) Derm
2) Gen IM
3) Rads
4) Preventitive Medicine
5) Peds
6) EM
7) Hematology
8) GI
9) Aerospace med (I don't even know what that is)
10) Psychiatry

That was my top 10. I will give it some credit in that I think I'm going to do psych and it was in my top 10. Also, I hate Family Practice and it ended up last, so maybe there is some validity after all, haha.