What should I do??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stookie

Slick Nasty
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to graduate in May and I have a low GPA. Currently it's a 2.92 I still have to complete physics and one semester of english. If I were to graduate with a GPA at 3.0 how many credits would it take to raise my GPA to a 3.5? I am planning on taking physics and english after I graduate, during the summer. I really don't want to get a masters, so I am hoping that Post Bacc classes would be my best option.

Members don't see this ad.

stookie said:
I am about to graduate in May and I have a low GPA. Currently it's a 2.92 I still have to complete physics and one semester of english. If I were to graduate with a GPA at 3.0 how many credits would it take to raise my GPA to a 3.5? I am planning on taking physics and english after I graduate, during the summer. I really don't want to get a masters, so I am hoping that Post Bacc classes would be my best option.

How many credits to get to a 3.5 depends on how many credits you have taken, so no one can answer that for you. Since you are not going to have a GPA adequate to apply to med school upon graduation, why take two classes over the summer? Better to just take 1 and ace it. I suspect if you took an average number of undergrad credits, you still have several years of courses to get to that 3.5, so no point rushing to get your prereqs done by August.

I feel that if someone cannot compute changes in their GPA then they have more worries than figuring out how to raise it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Law2Doc said:
How many credits to get to a 3.5 depends on how many credits you have taken, so no one can answer that for you. Since you are not going to have a GPA adequate to apply to med school upon graduation, why take two classes over the summer? Better to just take 1 and ace it. I suspect if you took an average number of undergrad credits, you still have several years of courses to get to that 3.5, so no point rushing to get your prereqs done by August.

I have completed 103 credits so far. I completed most of the prereqs, physics and english are the only 2 things left to complete. Can someone please advise me on how to calculate how many credits I would need to take to get my GPA to a 3.5?

stookie said:
I completed most of the prereqs, physics and english are the only 2 things left to complete.

I gathered that, but what's the point of completing them quick, when your GPA is going to still be below 3.0?
(FYI by my quick rough calculations, I believe you would need over 120 credits of straight 4.0 grades to bring a 2.92 to a 3.5.)

i dont think that you need to raise it to 3.5. if do a postbacc and get few solid semesters it will show that you can do the work

you need roughly 15-18 credits and in the classes you take, you need all A's to raise your gpa to a 3.0. to raise it to a 3.5 im guessing at least 40 credits if not more and again all A's.

i once did the calculations. so in a way, it's almost like getting a second degree. and remember you have to get all A's because then it won't go up. good luck.

madonna said:
i dont think that you need to raise it to 3.5. if do a postbacc and get few solid semesters it will show that you can do the work

I would agree. Take the missing courses and an upper level postbac. But no need to rush them over the summer -- you still have a few semesters of A's to go before you have realistic credentials.

What about getting a masters degree? If I were to graduate and complete my prereqs and have a GPA of 3.0, should I work on a masters degree or should I do 40 undergrad credits?

Can I get into a DO school with a 3.0?

stookie said:
Can I get into a DO school with a 3.0?

Stookie,

I have a 3.04 GPA with a 2.83 science. I have a 25 MCAT too. I have an interview at UNECOM, my top choice school in a little over a week. So as you can see, I havent gotten in yet, but I did get an interview. So you really need to do well on the MCAT to offset your GPA. And by do well, I mean do better than me, as in a 28+. With that, you really ought to look at a SMP. Some are only a year and are very well respected. But if you havent taken the MCAT yet, there are a few that accept the GRE, but I would suggest taking the MCAT this April. Whatever you decide, keep plugging along. If you want it bad enough, you will become a doctor. Good luck and if you need anything, let me know.

redwings54 said:
Stookie,

I have a 3.04 GPA with a 2.83 science. I have a 25 MCAT too. I have an interview at UNECOM, my top choice school in a little over a week. So as you can see, I havent gotten in yet, but I did get an interview. So you really need to do well on the MCAT to offset your GPA. And by do well, I mean do better than me, as in a 28+. With that, you really ought to look at a SMP. Some are only a year and are very well respected. But if you havent taken the MCAT yet, there are a few that accept the GRE, but I would suggest taking the MCAT this April. Whatever you decide, keep plugging along. If you want it bad enough, you will become a doctor. Good luck and if you need anything, let me know.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll see how well everything goes this comming semester, and if I make it out ofthere with a 3.0 GPA after I complete my prereqs over the summer I will look at taking an SMP.

redwings54 said:
but I would suggest taking the MCAT this April. Whatever you decide, keep plugging along.

ONLY take the MCAT this April if you are getting competitive scores on practice tests leading up to the MCAT. The last thing you want is a low score to go with that GPA. Plus if you haven't taken physics yet, it would be a very bad idea to take the MCAT yet. Otherwise I agree with redwing.

Law2Doc said:
ONLY take the MCAT this April if you are getting competitive scores on practice tests leading up to the MCAT. The last thing you want is a low score to go with that GPA. Plus if you haven't taken physics yet, it would be a very bad idea to take the MCAT yet. Otherwise I agree with redwing.

I am going to take the MCAT in August because I want to take physics first. I was planning on enrolling in a Kaplan course but I found out it's only a review and I won't learn physics.

stookie said:
I am going to take the MCAT in August because I want to take physics first. I was planning on enrolling in a Kaplan course but I found out it's only a review and I won't learn physics.

Stookie,
Good idea. Although it might be a bit late for you to get into a formal post bac program or a SMP, you can always do a post bac a la carte at your local uni. Deffinitely dont rush the MCAT as law2doc states. Good luck.