What should I take next year...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kota1000

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I’m going to be a freshmen in undergrad next year, and I’m picking my classes. I know that I may have to do online next semester, so that would change what I can take. Anyways, I have enough credits towards my bio major to have chem 1&2 done, and bio1 done. So I’ll for sure take bio 2 next fall, and statistics in the spring, but as far as chem classes, my next set is organic chem 1 with lab and organic chem 2 with lab. I was thinking of doing those both next year, 1 in fall and 2 in spring. Then doing bio chem sophomore fall, and then I can do physics 1 & 2 sophomore/junior. And along with those I’m taking gen Ed’s and “fun” classes spread out.

Here is my tentative plan for undergrad as far as classes:

Adjustments.jpg

What are your guy’s thoughts/suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I would personally be leery of rolling straight into ochem your freshman year of undergrad. It’s a big, challenging class, and I think having a year or at bare minimum a semester of a full time college workload under your belt before you take that on would be wise.

Also, if you haven’t already, be sure to confirm with the registrar definitively that the credits you have do in fact translate to covering those intro bio and chem courses.

As you go along during undergrad, make sure you keep an eye on which pre-req courses that the schools you are interested in ask for, too.

Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
I agree with ceph. Ochem...is it's own beast, even if you are the type of person who gets it well. Even if you waited until spring semester to take Ochem1, you'd be ahead of the curve. Heck it might be beneficial to take no chem your first year and get some other things out of the way why you adjust to college life. That said, it's not a bad looking schedule and would be doable. My only hesitation would be the fact that it's your very first semester. Also if everything is online that'll come with its own challenges that might be the best for taking on ochem...which isn't to freak you out about ochem because it's not as horrific as everyone makes it sound, but just to give insight to the challenges.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would personally be leery of rolling straight into ochem your freshman year of undergrad. It’s a big, challenging class, and I think having a year or at bare minimum a semester of a full time college workload under your belt before you take that on would be wise.

Also, if you haven’t already, be sure to confirm with the registrar definitively that the credits you have do in fact translate to covering those intro bio and chem courses.

As you go along during undergrad, make sure you keep an eye on which pre-req courses that the schools you are interested in ask for, too.

Good luck!

Thank you! I have already been in contact with admissions and professors in the chem/bio department and I have verified that my credits do transfer as such. Also, you should see my other lists I have going . I have my top 3 vet school choices in a list and put the classes that go with each of the prereqs so I make sure I complete them.

I agree with ceph. Ochem...is it's own beast, even if you are the type of person who gets it well. Even if you waited until spring semester to take Ochem1, you'd be ahead of the curve. Heck it might be beneficial to take no chem your first year and get some other things out of the way why you adjust to college life. That said, it's not a bad looking schedule and would be doable. My only hesitation would be the fact that it's your very first semester. Also if everything is online that'll come with its own challenges that might be the best for taking on ochem...which isn't to freak you out about ochem because it's not as horrific as everyone makes it sound, but just to give insight to the challenges.

If we shift to online I am not going to take any bio/chem lab classes online if I don’t have to, so I’d do heavy gen ed credits and stats freshmen year if that’s the case.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! I have already been in contact with admissions and professors in the chem/bio department and I have verified that my credits do transfer as such. Also, you should see my other lists I have going . I have my top 3 vet school choices in a list and put the classes that go with each of the prereqs so I make sure I complete them.

If we shift to online I am not going to take any bio/chem lab classes online if I don’t have to, so I’d do heavy gen ed credits and stats freshmen year if that’s the case.
I think that's super smart.

In general part of me doesn't want to discourage your from ochem early because I kinda did undergrad in an unconventional manner as well in terms of class order, but I also want to give the advice to protect your GPA above all else. It makes the admissions process much much easier.

I think that's super smart.

In general part of me doesn't want to discourage your from ochem early because I kinda did undergrad in an unconventional manner as well in terms of class order, but I also want to give the advice to protect your GPA above all else. It makes the admissions process much much easier.

I appreciate this! I definitely want a good GPA

Reactions: 1 users