What to do for summer before dental school starts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jk5177

Just Kidding
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've heard that is good to just blow the summer off before dental school starts.

I'm trying to decide what to do? I don't think I will be studying because... hell, it's summer. But I don't know what else to do? I thought about going abroad and teach English, but they usually want a year of committment.

Anyone know of any abroad health clinics?

Any suggestions?

Go work in Russia oil fields? (j/k)

How about opportunities in Southeast Asia? I love to go help them out then, but don't know how to get startd.

Members don't see this ad.

How? I got to be doing something to relax.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking of going to Taiwan to teach English.

jk5177 said:
I was thinking of going to Taiwan to teach English.

That sounds like fun, and something I almost did myself. You really need to research the programs - don't find yourself sucked into a six or ten month contract and dental school looming overhead.

I'm hoping to get into a research program at my dental school for the summer. But then again, I'm one of those people who does a Homer Simpson "Mmmmm, doughnuts" except saying "Mmmmm, research." So I guess what I"m saying is follow your bliss (and yes, definitely beware of being ensnared into long-term job commitments).

Anybody else have any ideas?

It will be about three months for me. Maybe I ought to trek Europe, go on a Green Tortoise trip, or go live at New York. ???

jk5177 said:

It will be about three months for me. Maybe I ought to trek Europe, go on a Green Tortoise trip, or go live at New York. ???

im gonna trek europe with a backpack and the stupidest friend i know. maybe ill see you in june!

Painless said:
im gonna trek europe with a backpack and the stupidest friend i know. maybe ill see you in june!

sorry, point being: four years of dental school, possibly 2-6 more if specializing, probably gonna get married somewhere in there too, then it'll be sometime to pay off debts, etc. you will have your whole career to do just about anything you want, but taking months off to rough it in europe? last chance buddy.

Hey, congrats on starting dental school in the fall!

It's gonna be a busy 4 years (+ more), so I definitely agree with the guys who are telling you to take it easy the summer before. After you start school, you may want to spend your summers working at one of the clinics at school, doing an externship or studying for boards. I'm in 4th year and the past 3 summers during dental school have been super busy... and I likely won't be getting an extended break ever again once I graduate.

Seize the day!!! :laugh:

Maybe, I'll go live at the city where I will be attending dental school in fall, and just get accustomed to the place, but then I'll be living there for some four years anyway, so it may not be a good idea.

How about take the Green Tortois trip around the country? Anyone had that experience?

I am going to spend time with my family especially my two little sisters (9 and 5). I will finger paint, play dress up, plant flowers :luck: , read some novels that I havent had time for.... pretty much anything but studying :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
jk5177 said:
Maybe, I'll go live at the city where I will be attending dental school in fall, and just get accustomed to the place, but then I'll be living there for some four years anyway, so it may not be a good idea.

How about take the Green Tortois trip around the country? Anyone had that experience?

Travel dude...thats the best thing to do! Travelling now = freedom, and when you enter D1 say goodbye to freedom for basically the rest of your life.

if I had it to do again, I'd relax relax relax until it just about killed me! I'd relax until I was so thoroughly sick of relaxing, that I was ready to just burst with energy and jump into something productive. I'd be so sick of having no responsibility that I'd be yearning for it......if you time it right, that'll just be when you are hitting dental school. I haven't thoroughly relaxed since I got here. Haven't been able to totally dump that feeling of responsibility. Enjoy your break, travel, screw off, get laid lots.....whatever does it for you.....you're young and you'll probably never get the chance again.

Margaret

jk5177 said:

hey, i agree with all the above, especially dr. badvibes. ur not gonna have another opportunity like this to travel. i'm guessing ur still single. i'm gonna be going to egypt for 2.5 weeks and then to london for another. just gonna chill and see the pyramids. have fun. dont worry dental school, except the collecting teeth part. good luck

omar

I'm moving to Utila for three months. It is part of the Bay Islands in the Caribbean off of Honduras. Settled by the British, they speak mostly English and it is the cheapest place to dive/learn to dive in the world. If you love SCUBA or are wanting to get away cheap to the Caribbean, you can stay for as cheap as $2 a day. I'm becoming a dive master so am staying for three months. Come look me up.

Sweet. I like that plan. Maybe i'll go somewhere for some flying lessons. Anyone know cheap places for flying lessons. Maybe I'll travel to Taiwan. maybe I'll visit the temples in Thailand. I don't know.

I think im going overseas to stay with some family I havent seen in a long time and learn the language! that or get a job :scared:

Hey. I'm bring back an old thread.
Any new posts?

I agree w/ the above. Get out while you can and see the world. B/C once school starts you will wish you did something exciting. The first year is very boring and draining. One reason why Dentist are suicidal is because they probably have back flashes of their first yr in Dental school and had wished that They had gotten out and traveled.

Oh well... Congrats on your acceptance and best of luck to you :cool:

jk5177 said:

Looks like I am going to spend the month of June in Columbia and traveling to nearby countries. My buddy has a place there on the beach and says you could live like a king with a few hundred bucks in your pocket. Also who can pass up those latina beauties? :cool:

working out and going to the beach as much as possible. it's gonna be weird living in a state with no beaches :(

jk5177 said:
Sweet. I like that plan. Maybe i'll go somewhere for some flying lessons. Anyone know cheap places for flying lessons. Maybe I'll travel to Taiwan. maybe I'll visit the temples in Thailand. I don't know.

I've got an internship working in Bangkok, Thailand this summer. I'd definetly be up for checking out some of the temples.

i'm going to sit in my underwear and watch tv for the entire day...once i get bored of that i'll put some pants on and go fishin.

my goal is to get over a relationship of 3 years that ended back in feb., how? hell knows.

possible plans

1) travel with friends down the eastern border
2) travel with friends up the northern border to west coast
3) work at a lab?? !!@#
4) study?
5) find a gf??

I'm going to sit in front of my computer and play starcraft for the entire day...once iget bored of that I'll put some pants on and go SDNing

jk5177 said:
I'm going to sit in front of my computer and play starcraft for the entire day...once iget bored of that I'll put some pants on and go SDNing

talk about a game from the past. what was that like 6-7 years ago?

IWuvTeef said:
working out and going to the beach as much as possible. it's gonna be weird living in a state with no beaches :(

We have beaches.....We have "INDIANA BEACH"
http://www.indianabeach.com/
To quote their annoying commercial:
Located on beautiful Lake Shafer, Monticello Indiana.
"Because there's more than corn in Indiana!"

Yeah, there's soybeans, too.

IWuvTeef said:

Don't forget your snow boots...for two reasons! The obvious one, of course, ....and they also can double as sh** waders when you finally reach our fabulous establishment... :D

ISU_Steve said:
We have beaches.....We have "INDIANA BEACH"
http://www.indianabeach.com/
To quote their annoying commercial:
Located on beautiful Lake Shafer, Monticello Indiana.
"Because there's more than corn in Indiana!"

Yeah, there's soybeans, too.

i hate that commercial!!! everytime we went to indiana beach, it rained. i think thats why i dont really like to go camping...

rocknightmare said:
talk about a game from the past. what was that like 6-7 years ago?

It's a classic!

Surf, gamble and party on some island for a while, surf, hang out with my girl and my buds as much as possible, and surf. I'm really going to miss the beach too. I haven't been landlocked for a long time. Snowboarding anyone?

jk5177 said:

You are now my hero. :thumbup: That game rocks. I think that's what I want to do b/f I go to dental school. :D

-Have knee surgery (#5, hopefully the last)
-Do a 5k race on crutches and have everyone cheer extra loud
-Graduate - need 13 more credits but they're way easy, like storytelling and Supernatural History
-Break the SDN addiction
-I just got a part-time research position working with bugs
-Make a quilt that wins a county fair blue ribbon (my 1st quilt)
-Fishing with my dad
-Figure out what to do with my girlfriend
-Lift weights
-Move to California

Substitute teach before school is over.
Pick up a tooth anatomy book and start browsing at my leisure
Organize all the school work material that I need before school starts
Go to the monastery for some extented time and help them out
Travel to Taiwan if posible and meaningful
Take a cheap trip with Green Tortoise
Finish the rest of the paperwork that I need to get done
Play Starcraft till I'm so sick and tired that I'm still going to play some more
Play Starcraft till I'm so sick and tired till I rather be reading my Woelfel's Anatomy
Go to CPK
Visit all the role models, professors that have helped me got to this far
Go for a long bike ride that will take me couple days
Fast and not eat for a while
Anything else?

Do something wild,,,,the thing they do in spain,, go running infront of the bulls stripped naked with red paint all over urself

jump off a cliff, and hope that it doesn't break my fingers!

jk5177 said:
jump off a cliff, and hope that it doesn't break my fingers!

whoa, thas a good one. Yeah do that, but make sure some water below the cliff

Do we get finger insurance now or when we're done with D-school? At a dental convention last year I talked with an insurance rep and he said you can take out a policy where if your hands are injured and you can no longer work you'll receive about 100k annually from the insurance company.

USUaggie said:
Do we get finger insurance now or when we're done with D-school? At a dental convention last year I talked with an insurance rep and he said you can take out a policy where if your hands are injured and you can no longer work you'll receive about 100k annually from the insurance company.

True

A musician or a surgeon can purchase the same kind of insurance against accidental dysfunction. I don't think a construction worker would be qualified in order to be protected by this kind of insurance.

100K a year! Wow. I'll cut my finger for that kind of money. Mmmph. Maybe when I'm 60 and want to go retire and teach, then I'll cut my finger, sale my practice, and reap the insurance benefits. But then, I'm sure they have a way of preventing such fraud from occuring.

I'm taking up surfing and, sure, there's an off chance that a shark might end up with my drilling hand for lunch :eek: but I'd be pissed if a shark gets me before I even graduate and set up a practice.

The Godfather said:
Surf, gamble and party on some island for a while, surf, hang out with my girl and my buds as much as possible, and surf. I'm really going to miss the beach too. I haven't been landlocked for a long time. Snowboarding anyone?
budge311 said:
Heck yeah! Where do usually go?
I live in Colorado and although most resorts are closed now, I can still go to A-Basin. It's kinda weird when you're driving up to snowboard and most cars around you have their mountain bikes attached.

Hey Godfather, I'm going to learn to surf when I go to Hawaii this July. How does it compare to boarding?