What to do in my year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canvasback02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I applied to 9 dental schools this past cycle and interviewed at 2 schools but did not receive any acceptances. My DAT scores were 19 AA/20 TS/ 19 PAT. I majored in Bio and had an overall GPA of 3.63 and a 3.52 BCP. I have 200+ hours of shadowing, 200+ hours of research, 100+ hours of volunteering, good LORs, etc. I have the option to either get my MBA in the year off or go through a dental assistant training program and work as a dental assistant in a clinic or perhaps a dental practice once the program is finished. What choice would enhance my chances of getting accepted to a school this upcoming cycle? Thanks for all of the help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

If I was in your shoes, I'd study hard and retake the DAT to get 21+ on the AA and TS. I think if you retake, and get 21's or higher, you'll get a few acceptances.

Get a job, make money, and retake the DAT.

:thumbup: I second that @DHallenbeck.

To OP: Retake your DAT. Spend the time to really study and get a better score and once you're done get a job so you can start saving money for potential interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I applied to 9 dental schools this past cycle and interviewed at 2 schools but did not receive any acceptances. My DAT scores were 19 AA/20 TS/ 19 PAT. I majored in Bio and had an overall GPA of 3.63 and a 3.52 BCP. I have 200+ hours of shadowing, 200+ hours of research, 100+ hours of volunteering, good LORs, etc. I have the option to either get my MBA in the year off or go through a dental assistant training program and work as a dental assistant in a clinic or perhaps a dental practice once the program is finished. What choice would enhance my chances of getting accepted to a school this upcoming cycle? Thanks for all of the help! :)
Your application looks good, I'm really surprised you didn't get in :confused:. Did you spend any time at a community college?

I didn't get in either. I'm not about to spend money on a masters and neither should you (you definitely don't need it). I thought about a dental assistant program for a hot minute. You won't even be certified in time to put it on your application will you? How long are the programs you're looking at? I looked at a few and they seem really long, and obviously expensive. It seems like a huge commitment for little in return.

I wanted to volunteer in a dental clinic overseas but I couldn't come up with the funding for it. Is that an option for you?

Your stats look solid. Your DAT is fine but if there was a "weak" spot in your application I suppose that would be it. You might want to consider retaking it, but make it worth your time and really go balls to the wall studying.

I'm just going to get a flexible job doing whatever and volunteer/shadow/get as much dental experience as I possibly can without putting myself in debt. I'm interested in what you end up doing because I'm trying to plan my gap year too and I'm seriously depressed about it.

@wcombs All of my classes were at a university. The dental assistant program is an intense 12 week program (roughly 500 hours) and it would start this coming June. Thanks for the replies everyone!

Why did you not get accepted to schools? Your stats are really solid :/ It really scares me that you have near perfect scores, is the competition that intense?

I'm surprised you only got 2 interviews from the 9 schools you applied to with those stats. Are you an international applicant? Did you apply late? I'm not an expert on this, but could it be also your personal statement? On paper your stats look pretty good, with the DAT scores being potentially "average".
Although the dental assistant thing could potentially give you some new exposure (hands on skills), I doubt it'll help your application substantially since you've already logged 200+hrs of shadowing...

In my year off, I shadowed a dentist and had a chance to help out there. I also volunteered at an old folks home, worked part time in retail and tutoring, and went to school part time also. It was the best year of my life, lol. Embrace this year, enjoy it, improve the weak points in your application, and never stop learning!

@Shazzam I applied to Maryland, Pittsburgh, Kentucky, Louisville, Tennessee, UNC, MUSC, VCU, and ECU. I'm a North Carolina resident. Thanks!

@cakefacade I applied mid August. I met with several advisors and none of them could really pick out something in my application that could have hurt my chances of getting in. My personal statement was pretty good (I had it reviewed like 5 times by a committee who handles things of this nature for professional schools)

Thanks for the replies!

Last edited:
@Shazzam I applied to Maryland, Pittsburgh, Kentucky, Louisville, Tennessee, UNC, MUSC, VCU, and ECU. I'm a North Carolina resident. Thanks!

@cakefacade I applied mid August. I met with several advisors and none of them could really pick out something in my application that could have hurt my chances of getting in. My personal statement was pretty good (I had it reviewed like 5 times by a committee who handles things of this nature for professional schools)

Thanks for the replies!
I'm in a similar situation as you and reapplying - that's why my first advice was to retake the DAT (although your scores are good). Maybe this time around apply around mid June/July and hopefully you get a positive response this time. As previously stated, I think right now just concentrate in applying and don't spend money on a masters or dental assistant program that could potentially put you even more debt.

Your GPA is great as well so it's hard to pinpoint what it could be. When I was not accepted, I emailed all the schools and only some got back as to telling me what the weak spots were to fix it. Best of luck!

just apply to more schools... aim for 15-20.

your numbers (DAT and GPA) are good.

I would add some safer schools such as UDM, Case, Tufts, NYU, (probably don't need LECOM...) there are more but I don't think you need many with your stats. I think the assistant program is a great idea, but I would try to spend two months studying for the DAT and reapply with better scores next cycle, before you go into the program. You will make it in next cycle, good luck!

That is very perplexing that you didn't get in. I am assuming your interviews were at UNC and ECU, and if so then I somewhat understand. I don't really know what those two schools were looking for this year, as I know many people with below average stats who got into both, and I know several people with above average stats who got into neither, including myself. Either way, I wouldn't suggest an MBA, I don't think your GPA would be the problem. Could you email the admissions directors from the 2 schools and ask them why you were rejected?
It might not be helpful (they usually give bland answers), but at least you wouldn't be shooting in the dark if they give you some helpful advice. I'm sure you will get in somewhere next year, but still, it's odd you didn't get it in anywhere....