What to do in the case of receiving low grades (C+)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulHero

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance for taking the time to view my post.

So I am currently a Junior studying Human Biology. My Freshman year I received two C+'s (one in 2nd Bio and the other in Chem 101). I was struggling with focusing and I went through a lot of stress during the year, including losing a job that I had held for a while and breaking up with my girlfriend. I'm sure my predicament is pretty similar to other people but I'm just wondering what I could do to remedy the grades or at least alleviate some pressure. Since then, I have excelled in my grades and haven't made below a B.

One recommendation I have received is to retake the same classes to "prove" that I have mastered the subject.

Another suggestion that I have gotten is to take upper level classes in those same subjects.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas or guidance that you all may have regarding this. Let me know if there is anything I need to clarify.

Best Regards,

Members don't see this ad.

If you're overall GPA is 3.3+, you should be okay for DO. However, you might want to retake classes anyway just so you can have an even higher GPA.

If you're satisfied with your GPA, you don't need to retake anything. A "C" here or there won't keep you from becoming a doctor. Your MCAT is sufficient to show your mastery of the content.

Is more weight carried if the class is a science class vs. non-science?