What type of Salary can you get in Family Medicine if Willing to work in Small town???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not necessarily. Some places with a distinction of "rural health clinic" or a verified critical access hospital it doesnt matter on level of service

For ex. I get paid the same and facility reimbursement is same whether its a follow up otitis media quick visit or a would be level 99214. Pay is the same.
So whether i see 4 or 40 patients a day, my personal take home is the same.

Members don't see this ad.

Not necessarily. Some places with a distinction of "rural health clinic" or a verified critical access hospital it doesnt matter on level of service

For ex. I get paid the same and facility reimbursement is same whether its a follow up otitis media quick visit or a would be level 99214. Pay is the same.
So whether i see 4 or 40 patients a day, my personal take home is the same.

I am pretty sure all the Federal Community Health Centers (which by definition are in high need areas such as rural) are salaried for family medicine, they are not based on amount billed.

How easy is it to work find a rural job (in the southwest) working 14 or so 12s a month and live somewhere coastal?

I'm really big on primary care and go back and forth between FM and Psych....due to recent family circumstances I'll likely need to be in SoCal to care for a parent during residency and beyond.

Members don't see this ad :)
How easy is it to work find a rural job (in the southwest) working 14 or so 12s a month and live somewhere coastal?

I'm really big on primary care and go back and forth between FM and Psych....due to recent family circumstances I'll likely need to be in SoCal to care for a parent during residency and beyond.

Depends on the coast? SO California? Difficult. Northern CAL (jobs all day every day) Oregon coast is desperate. Washington coast - many jobs on the Southern part.

Depends on the coast? SO California? Difficult. Northern CAL (jobs all day every day) Oregon coast is desperate. Washington coast - many jobs on the Southern part.

I'll need to be living in Southern California...anywhere from San Diego up to Ventura would do.

Happy to WORK elsewhere though....southeastern California...Western Arizona...

Though I guess it would be pretty doable to take a short flight to NorCal, or into Nevada and work for a few days, then fly home. Seems like a lot of "business" people commute by plane. How feasible is this in medicine?

Though I wonder if it would be possible to string together a bunch of locums gigs and/or find employment in coastal CA..?

Sadly just found out a parent has early-onset Alzheimers which kind of threw a lot of my plans for a loop. Realizing I need to be in/around SoCal at least half the month to provide their care...so I'm kind of freaking out about how this will impact my career choice :(

I'll need to be living in Southern California...anywhere from San Diego up to Ventura would do.

Happy to WORK elsewhere though....southeastern California...Western Arizona...

Though I guess it would be pretty doable to take a short flight to NorCal, or into Nevada and work for a few days, then fly home. Seems like a lot of "business" people commute by plane. How feasible is this in medicine?

Though I wonder if it would be possible to string together a bunch of locums gigs and/or find employment in coastal CA..?

Sadly just found out a parent has early-onset Alzheimers which kind of threw a lot of my plans for a loop. Realizing I need to be in/around SoCal at least half the month to provide their care...so I'm kind of freaking out about how this will impact my career choice :(
Have you considered hospitalist work? 2 weeks on/2 weeks off can be arranged at a lot of places.

Have you considered hospitalist work? 2 weeks on/2 weeks off can be arranged at a lot of places.

This is kind of what I had in mind. Ideally, it'd be great if I could find this kind of work in coastal SoCal...if not, next best option would be to go elsewhere for work, then come home for half the month. I do have a sister who could help out part of the time, so this would be a viable option.

If one wanted to work part-time (in FM or Psych) IN those desirable SoCal locations, is it possible to pick up spare work on the side; i.e. overnight shift, taking histories, etc?

Or going another way, how feasible is it to do tele-psych and cover a couple weekend shifts to make a decent living?

Sorry for all of the random questions, I'm just feeling very overwhelmed and worried right now.

This is kind of what I had in mind. Ideally, it'd be great if I could find this kind of work in coastal SoCal...if not, next best option would be to go elsewhere for work, then come home for half the month. I do have a sister who could help out part of the time, so this would be a viable option.

If one wanted to work part-time (in FM or Psych) IN those desirable SoCal locations, is it possible to pick up spare work on the side; i.e. overnight shift, taking histories, etc?

Or going another way, how feasible is it to do tele-psych and cover a couple weekend shifts to make a decent living?

Sorry for all of the random questions, I'm just feeling very overwhelmed and worried right now.
I mean, worst case, how would you feel about a 7 on/7 off gig? They're really not hard to come by, and you're still getting half the year off.

I mean, worst case, how would you feel about a 7 on/7 off gig? They're really not hard to come by, and you're still getting half the year off.

That's totally fine too..Are these 7/7 jobs found in desirable coastal SoCal locations though? Or would that require me to commute elsewhere for work?

That's totally fine too..Are these 7/7 jobs found in desirable coastal SoCal locations though? Or would that require me to commute elsewhere for work?

My question is why are you talking about jobs when your status still says med student? Have a long way to go before looking for work if that's the case.

Otherwise, there are tons of hospitalist jobs everywhere, just need to have a good locums company who keeps up on needs where you want to work and get things rolling. Most places once you get on as a locums provider you can be there up to a year sometimes.

My question is why are you talking about jobs when your status still says med student? Have a long way to go before looking for work if that's the case.

Otherwise, there are tons of hospitalist jobs everywhere, just need to have a good locums company who keeps up on needs where you want to work and get things rolling. Most places once you get on as a locums provider you can be there up to a year sometimes.

I know this is a long while away, but I'm a worrier, and with this recent news, I'm just stressed out and wondering how I can balance these new responsibilities with being a physician.

I appreciate your advice.

I know this is a long while away, but I'm a worrier, and with this recent news, I'm just stressed out and wondering how I can balance these new responsibilities with being a physician.

I appreciate your advice.

Your best bet is to do well in school, pass the boards the first time around, get the residecy you want, then you can work whatever job you want. You will never be short on offers or opportunities especially if you decide to do primary care.

Reactions: 1 user
Your best bet is to do well in school, pass the boards the first time around, get the residecy you want, then you can work whatever job you want. You will never be short on offers or opportunities especially if you decide to do primary care.

Hi, do you ever land in a hospital that you think would be a good place but once you get there its horrible? Can you just leave if you want to? Or because of contract you are forced to stick it out?

Hi, do you ever land in a hospital that you think would be a good place but once you get there its horrible? Can you just leave if you want to? Or because of contract you are forced to stick it out?
Yep, happens all the time. Sometimes you just have to take a chance. Just remember that ALL contracts can be broken. When you are looking at jobs you need to be sure you have an out clause in the contract: look at what happens if you leave (tail coverage, do you pay back the sign on, the moving bonus, etc?)

Reactions: 1 user