What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Take the job in Texas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anewmanx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A rather.... nice opportunity has popped up. Because I applied for residency outside the United States three months ago, I just found out yesterday that I qualify to have my wife's immigration paperwork processed at the embassy in three months. Normally that process takes over a year, with the embassy it's as little as three months. She would enter the US with her green card in hand.

She just finished the last of the preparation for her thesis and was approved to finish writing it and present it in a few months. (This was one of the reasons we were here in CR.)

Anyway, she has a standing job offer from the director of one of the independent school districts in Texas. ($50,000 a year.)

I also found out that Texas signed a law into place allowing veterans to be given in state tuition rates while they use the GI Bill or Voc Rehab.

From what I gather it takes almost two years to go through the FPGEE process and volunteer your intern hours to get your foreign license recognized, so from a time perspective it's a wash. The extra credits I'd have to take after I transferred in my science and math credits would only add a year or so to my studies. I'd be licensed in the same amount of time. As a veteran using the GI Bill and Voc Rehab at a public institution I will have pretty much no tuition to pay either way.

The biggest differences are these:

If we take the job after she presents her thesis:
  • Rent goes up $300-400 a month
  • Have to hire a nanny for when I'm in classes at US prices, yuk.
  • Wife makes $50,000 extra a year, pays very little taxes since I have two kids to claim as exemptions.
  • Closer to my other children, closer to my parents.
  • Further from my wife's family (negative.)
  • Tuition is essentially free.
  • Wife has a good stable income while I'm in school, and we would have enough saved money to open our own pharmacy when I graduate.
  • Texas weather is not too bad. I have more pain from my disabilities, but it's not unbearable.

If we don't take it:
  • Get to keep living here in CR near her family, rent is rock bottom.
  • Can afford a full time nanny for $300-400 a month.
  • I finish school in three more years, but am stuck waiting almost two years to get the right to practice in the US.
  • I don't have to put up with arrogant gringos. ;) j/k
  • Tuition is essentially free.
  • *Might* have enough money saved up when I graduate to start a pharmacy.
  • I keep living in tropical paradise and have almost no pain from my injuries.

I'm a bit torn. I've still got 6-8 months before all the paperwork is in order, the thesis is presented, and we can take the opportunity or let it pass. That's enough time to get two more semesters worth of classes to transfer over.

What would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

How does your wife feel about working in Texas?

Members don't see this ad :)
How does your wife feel about working in Texas?

She's 110% on board. She's always wanted to live somewhere else and experience a new culture. Actually, she's more excited about the idea than me. I love Texas, LOVE Texas, but I worry sometimes about how well I could acclimate to US culture again.

I think you could do it. Hopefully her job is near one of the ...EIGHT... pharmacy schools in Texas now. ;)

We're looking at the Austin area to start out, but as a bilingual ESL teacher she can pretty much get a job in whatever school district she wants. Huge shortage of highly qualified ESL teachers in Texas. I have my eyes on the Corpus Christi area long term, looks like a lovely place to live.

BTW, thanks for your service PharmB. How long have you been Navy?

Last edited:
We're looking at the Austin area to start out, but as a bilingual ESL teacher she can pretty much get a job in whatever school district she wants. Huge shortage of highly qualified ESL teachers in Texas. I have my eyes on the Corpus Christi area long term, looks like a lovely place to live.

BTW, thanks for your service PharmB. How long have you been Navy?
I was Navy. ;)

Did 6 years in nuclear power before I could get out and pursue something a little more rewarding on the human level. Corpus Christi has its issues, and it never felt very family friendly, especially compared to where I am now in the Pacific NW.

I was Navy. ;)

Did 6 years in nuclear power before I could get out and pursue something a little more rewarding on the human level. Corpus Christi has its issues, and it never felt very family friendly, especially compared to where I am now in the Pacific NW.

Ah the Pacific NW. Either there or Europe is our long term goal. I was from Clark County WA near Portland, OR. Absolutely lovely state.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm surprised America is on your list of places to move to. I assumed it would have been Europe some place after giving that advice to everyone on this forum.

I'm surprised America is on your list of places to move to. I assumed it would have been Europe some place after giving that advice to everyone on this forum.

I'd like to retire to Europe, specifically Switzerland or Germany.

What can I say, I ran into the hiring manager from a school district in Texas a year ago and it's always been an option floating around in the background. We had ruled it out at first because of how lengthy the immigration process is, but apparently applications from foreign resident US citizens are given priority.

Long term? I absolutely don't want to retire to the US. But, it would be nice to see my other two kids more often. They are in the south.

Austin is awesome! Get some!

And you don't need to pay insane rate for nanny's. We pay $450 every 2 weeks per child for 7-6 mon-fri daycare in an upper middle class neighborhood, but if you can speak Spanish, you can get a nanny for much less...;)

Austin is awesome! Get some!

And you don't need to pay insane rate for nanny's. We pay $450 every 2 weeks per child for 7-6 mon-fri daycare in an upper middle class neighborhood, but if you can speak Spanish, you can get a nanny for much less...;)

Haha, si, podemos hablar en español muy bien. No tendremos un problema.

Austin is okay if you like the hipster culture as well as regulations out the wazoo. I'm more of a "I don't need the government to run my life so please leave me alone" kind of guy so I work in Dallas. Pharmacy in Texas is going the way of law in that most jobs are being given to the grads in the local area. So while I'm an exception being a southwestern guy, most Dallas jobs go to Tech grads. Most Austin jobs go to UT grads. Most Houston jobs go to UH or TSU grads. If you can find a spot in Austin then go for it but try to avoid I-35.

Members don't see this ad :)
Austin is okay if you like the hipster culture as well as regulations out the wazoo. I'm more of a "I don't need the government to run my life so please leave me alone" kind of guy so I work in Dallas. Pharmacy in Texas is going the way of law in that most jobs are being given to the grads in the local area. So while I'm an exception being a southwestern guy, most Dallas jobs go to Tech grads. Most Austin jobs go to UT grads. Most Houston jobs go to UH or TSU grads. If you can find a spot in Austin then go for it but try to avoid I-35.

I thoroughly appreciate the advice. I know what you mean about the personal freedom infringment that has become so common in America "the free" :lol:

Aye, the I-35...

I can't believe this post. After all the posts in all the unrelated threads about how anyone smart would go to pharmacy school out of the country, and you are seriously now considering going to pharmacy school in the US? I guess all those threads were you trying to convince yourself you were making the right decision. I'm voting to stay in CR, since that is what you've said all along you wanted to do, why change now?

I can't believe this post. After all the posts in all the unrelated threads about how anyone smart would go to pharmacy school out of the country, and you are seriously now considering going to pharmacy school in the US? I guess all those threads were you trying to convince yourself you were making the right decision. I'm voting to stay in CR, since that is what you've said all along you wanted to do, why change now?

You seem to have always missed the meat of my argument.

Anyone who goes into six figure debt to go to pharmacy school is an idiot. It is FREE for me because I have the GI Bill, Yellow Ribbon Program, and Vocational Rehab (which has no tuition cap.)

The only reason I'm considering going back is because my wife has been offered a job paying so damn much. In five years it would mean an extra 230k in our pockets.

I also, in MANY threads, have suggested people join the military to offset the cost of their education.

There is consistency in my argument. I'm rather enjoying school here in CR and having no difficulties. So far it has expanded my understanding of the Spanish language incredibly. My active listening skills and comprehension have reached new levels. Even if I only spend another two semesters here, I think it's been a great experience that I'd recommend to anyone who wants a cheap place to go to school.

Last edited:
You seem to have always missed the meat of my argument.

No, I think I understand your argument quite well. What works for you is the only way, and anyone who thinks differently, as you put it "is an idiot". Life is not as black and white as you seem to think it is, and you think may be an "idiot" choice to make, might actually be the perfect choice for someone with difference circumstances then you find yourself in.

No, I think I understand your argument quite well. What works for you is the only way, and anyone who thinks differently, as you put it "is an idiot". Life is not as black and white as you seem to think it is, and you think may be an "idiot" choice to make, might actually be the perfect choice for someone with difference circumstances then you find yourself in.
Why the hate?

I have 100k+ in debt. I don't see how I could have graduated with less. I lived as cheap as I could, but I had a little bit of undergrad debt too (17k). No way I could have done pharmacy school with only 80k. After my first year of pharmacy school I found out the whole department at the job I left for pharmacy school was laid off and only given a week notice! I saw the writing on the wall when I started there and made plans to get out. Idiot, I am not. I interviewed with my current employer during my last APPE and finalized employment soon after graduation. I got an offer of 58 an hour in one store (not floating) and will be paying off my loans asap after I'm fully licensed. Although I may be splurging on the white ps4 destiny bundle, a nice headset, a nice recliner chair and a nice flatscreen in the near future... holla :p

I have 100k+ in debt. I don't see how I could have graduated with less. I lived as cheap as I could, but I had a little bit of undergrad debt too (17k). No way I could have done pharmacy school with only 80k. After my first year of pharmacy school I found out the whole department at the job I left for pharmacy school was laid off and only given a week notice! I saw the writing on the wall when I started there and made plans to get out. Idiot, I am not. I interviewed with my current employer during my last APPE and finalized employment soon after graduation. I got an offer of 58 an hour in one store (not floating) and will be paying off my loans asap after I'm fully licensed. Although I may be splurging on the white ps4 destiny bundle, a nice headset, a nice recliner chair and a nice flatscreen in the near future... holla :p

You did quite well on your undergraduate debt. Kuddos.

How much of your 100k+ was tuition? My point is I don't think it's reasonable to put out over 100k in tuition. I can certainly understand floating yourself on living expenses *somewhat* using your student loan money. It is damn hard to work and study at the same time.

Tuition was 24k a year for 3 years, but insurance was wicked expensive and technology fees, student activity fees and enless fees for this and that and then rent, internet, food, car, care insurance, gas, my god everything just ADDS UP. Most annoying. So glad pharmacy school is OVER.

Tuition was 24k a year for 3 years, but insurance was wicked expensive and technology fees, student activity fees and enless fees for this and that and then rent, internet, food, car, care insurance, gas, my god everything just ADDS UP. Most annoying. So glad pharmacy school is OVER.

24k a year for three years is pretty frugal. What is that, like 18k a year if it were 4 years? I bet two of your biggest expenses were the food and gas. It's a bitch if you don't make your own food at home. My wife and I used to spend 300-600 eating out before we switched to eating at home; probably more when I was fat.

A rather.... nice opportunity has popped up. Because I applied for residency outside the United States three months ago, I just found out yesterday that I qualify to have my wife's immigration paperwork processed at the embassy in three months. Normally that process takes over a year, with the embassy it's as little as three months. She would enter the US with her green card in hand.

I'm a bit torn. I've still got 6-8 months before all the paperwork is in order, the thesis is presented, and we can take the opportunity or let it pass. That's enough time to get two more semesters worth of classes to transfer over.

What would you do?

Easy, move to USA.
If I were a DM, non usa rph education resume gets thrown away.