Whats the Best thing I should do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been following the forums for some time and couldn't help but to ask a question about my scenario. I was previously a psychology major (bad decision) and changed my major to biological sciences late junior year. Right now I am finishing my up pre-reqs for medical school with a science gpa of 3.5 (w.o grade replacements). However, heres the trouble, my cumGPA is a 2.9 and its prob going to take forever to bring it up anywhere near a 3.5 with 128 credits already in.
Majority of the low gpa is composed of psychology credits from past years. Should I aim for a high MCAT score of 35+ and apply to medical school (poss. a post bac) or aim for D.O (since they accept grade replacement, and that should put me at a cumGPA of 3.7 and SciGPA of 3.8)?

E.C includes:
100+ hours volunteering at local hospital
50 hours shadowing Derm. (D.O)
50 hours shadowing Cardiologist (M.D)
A few semesters of Lab assistance
and (Best for last)
Conducted a free health camp back in my country (third world) which helped around 700+ villagers.

What would you guys do if you were in my position? Thanks for your time:)

Members don't see this ad.

DO imo. Don't even need grade replacement with a 3.5 sGPA and good MCAT.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Hey guys,

I have been following the forums for some time and couldn't help but to ask a question about my scenario. I was previously a psychology major (bad decision) and changed my major to biological sciences late junior year. Right now I am finishing my up pre-reqs for medical school with a science gpa of 3.5 (w.o grade replacements). However, heres the trouble, my cumGPA is a 2.9 and its prob going to take forever to bring it up anywhere near a 3.5 with 128 credits already in.
Majority of the low gpa is composed of psychology credits from past years. Should I aim for a high MCAT score of 35+ and apply to medical school (poss. a post bac) or aim for D.O (since they accept grade replacement, and that should put me at a cumGPA of 3.7 and SciGPA of 3.8)?

E.C includes:
and (Best for last)
Conducted a free health camp back in my country (third world) which helped around 700+ villagers.

You're in good shape for DO right now. If you have plenty of time and money at your disposal, and MD is important to you, go for a strong MCAT score and consider a Special Masters Program if you can get your cGPA over 3.0 (a common cut-off point for consideration).

Members don't see this ad :)
A high MCAT will not rescue your GPA from the auto-cutoff that MD schools have, so your only hope is DO.

Hey guys,

E.C includes:
and (Best for last)

You have great ECs. Do well on the MCATs & do an SMP if you want to go MD.

Otherwise, you're in good shape for a DO right now.