When do dental students look for jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCDP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those looking for associateships at private practice or corporations, when do most begin looking? Sometime in your third year, fourth year?

Also one area specific question if anyone knows... how easy it to find opportunities whether it be private practice or corporate, in the Chicago suburb areas like Naperville, Aurora, Schaumburg, Downers Grove, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

Network with local dentists all four years, then 4th year contact them and let them know you're about to graduate. If they know you well and like you, they'll keep an ear to the ground for potential job opportunities. Interview for jobs late fall and spring of D4.

Network with local dentists all four years, then 4th year contact them and let them know you're about to graduate. If they know you well and like you, they'll keep an ear to the ground for potential job opportunities. Interview for jobs late fall and spring of D4.
What if one is not going to school in the area they want to practice, how do you really network with dentists in that case... especially if you want to practice in a different state...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What if one is not going to school in the area they want to practice, how do you really network with dentists in that case... especially if you want to practice in a different state...

Hmm, that's something I hadn't thought of. My state has a high retention rate, not many people move in, and not many people leave. This makes it easier to network with dentists and actually go shadow them every once and a while.

In that situation you may just have to search through job listings. Go through each state's ADA website and see the classifieds, you'll see some job listings.

Dental students need to complete their third year properly. They can then look out for jobs in the fourth year.

First of all complete your education or course and than search for jobs. One of the great and easiest option to find Dental jobs is Dentuit

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest to my students if they want to practice in an area where the they are not in school to take a residency in the area they wish to go. I have a student who is from Georgia and is engaged to a Minnesotan. My suggestion was to take a residency in Minnesota to see if she can tolerate the change in weather. If she can, then stay, if not, she has the opportunity to go elsewhere. When I was in private practice, we started looking for associates in the fall of their senior year.