MD When should I apply? Need some advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heisenberg 41

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
B or C. I am in favor of applying with the best possible app, once, and even if it means waiting a year. Quit fussing about the new MCAT...it's not going to be written in Greek.
Option B
Apply June 2015 cycle, take late June MCAT after spring term (accelerated) biochem, application complete by late July 2015.

Option C
Apply June 2016 cycle after I graduate, take April 2016 MCAT, take gap year.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user
This is my first time posting, but I've been an avid SDN reader for a couple years. I'm trying to figure out the best scenario of when to take the MCAT and apply. I'm currently a Junior, here's the rest of my app:
Stats:
GPA: 3.96
sGPA: 3.95
MCAT: unkown

EC's (all hours are current):
Clinical volunteering

- Volunteer phlebotomist at free clinic (200+hrs)
- Phlebotomy externship at Hospital (50 hrs)
- Healthy living educator at free clinic (18hrs)

Research
- Research assistant in neuroscience lab (1 year)
- Research assistant/phlebotomist in blood study (1 year)

Non-Clinical volunteering/Leadership
- Youth basketball head coach (40 hrs)
- Assistant Scoutmaster (100 hrs)

Shadowing
- Shadowing (40hrs so far)

Other:
- 2 year full time LDS mission in NZ (includes leadership & ~400+hrs community service)

The only prereqs I have left to take are Ochem and Biochem, but with the new changes to the 2015 MCAT, I won't have time to take 2 semesters of Ochem and Biochem before taking the April 2015 MCAT. What would be the best approach? I'm leaning towards option A. Also, what are my chances for MD schools?

Option A
Apply June 2015 cycle, take MCAT prep course and self study biochem, take April MCAT, application complete June 1 2015.

Option B
Apply June 2015 cycle, take late June MCAT after spring term (accelerated) biochem, application complete by late July 2015.

Option C
Apply June 2016 cycle after I graduate, take April 2016 MCAT, take gap year.

I would make sure that you have sufficient time off in your spring semester to actually study effectively. Many students get too busy with regular classes to put in the time with or without a prep course and taking a prep course is no guarantee of a good score. Time wise April 2015 is a better choice since it allows an earlier app submission which is essential. You should consider however that the biological sciences section which includes biology, ochem, and basic embryology only has ~5 ochem questions and they are pretty basic. Taking 1 semester of ochem is even overkill for this. On the other hand the new test includes a new section with psych and biochem and I took the old version so I can't tell you how much of it would be biochem. It may be more advantageous to fit in biochem, first sem ochem, take the test and then finish ochem. Just a thought.