When should I apply to medical school with my circumstances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedFGCU

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I planned a semester of studying for the MCAT. However, I ended up having very minimal time to actually study and ended up just sitting for the exam for th experience since I had already payed. I did very poorly, 494 with a CARS score (121), Bio (125), chem/phys (124), and psych (124). I have constructed a study schedule for this summer and have zero distractions and believe I can score substantially higher this time around 507-511 is my goal). My new test date is August 20th. My question is, do I submit my AMCAS application and primaries to schools as soon as possible in June, and state that I am retaking, or do I just wait until closer to September and apply super late in the cycle. I just want to make sure I am not screened out of anywhere based on my current MCAT score. Thanks!
Also, I would like to apply to both MD and DO schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I planned a semester of studying for the MCAT. However, I ended up having very minimal time to actually study and ended up just sitting for the exam for th experience since I had already payed. I did very poorly, 494 with a CARS score (121), Bio (125), chem/phys (124), and psych (124). I have constructed a study schedule for this summer and have zero distractions and believe I can score substantially higher this time around 507-511 is my goal). My new test date is August 20th. My question is, do I submit my AMCAS application and primaries to schools as soon as possible in June, and state that I am retaking, or do I just wait until closer to September and apply super late in the cycle. I just want to make sure I am not screened out of anywhere based on my current MCAT score. Thanks!
Wait a cycle

Wait a cycle
What would you recommend I do in my gap year? Post-Bac? Peace Corps? Any suggestions for me to really stand out the following cycle? I currently have a 3.84 GPA, should have my ideal MCAT score, will have around 2.5 years research experience by then, and a fair amount of volunteering with a couple organizations. Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad :)
Or just get a simple part time job.

What would you recommend I do in my gap year? Any suggestions for me to really stand out the following cycle? I currently have a 3.84 GPA, should have my ideal MCAT score, will have around 2.5 years research experience by then, and a fair amount of volunteering with a couple organizations.
The issue is not with your ECs, GPA, EC's or expected MCAT score. The issue is you're trying to cram your application and studying into the end of a cycle. As you saw with your first MCAT it did not work well. By giving yourself the gap year, you will allow yourself to craft a well written PS, EC summaries and do research on enough schools so you can apply strategically knowing your GPA and MCAT. Applying at the end of a cycle if you have a 526 MCAT might be ok...in the majority of cases it is not advisable.

With your 8/20 MCAT date you should get your score back by mid-late Sept. While its not past deadline, its late to submit AMCAS. From there you'll have time to figure out which schools you want to target your app to. As mentioned, work on your PS, EC summaries and continue said EC/volunteer work. Let time be your friend. As @eteshoe suggested, a part time job is good and will allow you to save some money for a well deserved vacation. Do you need to stand out anymore during your gap....I'm not sure. Depending on how your perform on the MCAT, you could even consider being a test prep company tutor until your application cycle. If you were still looking to advance your app at that point you could look into that.

Reactions: 2 users
The issue is not with your ECs, GPA, EC's or expected MCAT score. The issue is you're trying to cram your application and studying into the end of a cycle. As you saw with your first MCAT it did not work well. By giving yourself the gap year, you will allow yourself to craft a well written PS, EC summaries and do research on enough schools so you can apply strategically knowing your GPA and MCAT. Applying at the end of a cycle if you have a 526 MCAT might be ok...in the majority of cases it is not advisable.

With your 8/20 MCAT date you should get your score back by mid-late Sept. While its not past deadline, its late to submit AMCAS. From there you'll have time to figure out which schools you want to target your app to. As mentioned, work on your PS, EC summaries and continue said EC/volunteer work. Let time be your friend. As @eteshoe suggested, a part time job is good and will allow you to save some money for a well deserved vacation. Do you need to stand out anymore during your gap....I'm not sure. Depending on how your perform on the MCAT, you could even consider being a test prep company tutor until your application cycle. If you were still looking to advance your app at that point you could look into that.
Thank you! I really appreciate both of your advice @yeasureyoubetcha and @eteshoe

What are your practice test scores looking like?

What makes you confident that you can get to 507-511?
Hard work and motivation. I am more than willing to do everything I possibly can to get there. That is a score range that will make me feel more comfortable and be a stronger applicant. Also, my major weakness is clearly CARS and I've been doing some practice passages lately and literally a shift in my mentality approaching the section is already appearing to dramatically help. I see no reason why I can't raise each section 3-4 points and CARS 5-6 with my schedule of content review, practice questions/passages, practice exams, and review.

Reactions: 1 user
You should push your test date back if you think you can do better that way.

You won't apply till next summer so there is zero reason to rush things.

You should push your test date back if you think you can do better that way.

You won't apply till next summer so there is zero reason to rush things.
My reasoning for studying all summer and then testing just before school starts is based on my last MCAT. I had school, volunteering, reaearch, work, etc.. And ended up practically taking the MCAT without studying. I really want to avoid having any other distractions so I can truly dedicate 6-8 hours a day 5 days a week with some extra CARS passages on the weekends. My senior year of undergrad is going to be filled with MANY MANY of the same distractions as last year.

My reasoning for studying all summer and then testing just before school starts is based on my last MCAT. I had school, volunteering, reaearch, work, etc.. And ended up practically taking the MCAT without studying. I really want to avoid having any other distractions so I can truly dedicate 6-8 hours a day 5 days a week with some extra CARS passages on the weekends. My senior year of undergrad is going to be filled with MANY MANY of the same distractions as last year.

Do not rush the process. A gap year is quite common (and advisable in many cases). Take the time to crush the MCAT. Med school is going nowhere so there is no need to rush. Spread your studying over the year if you want or take 2 gap yrs. There is no point in bombing a second MCAT.

Do not rush the process. A gap year is quite common (and advisable in many cases). Take the time to crush the MCAT. Med school is going nowhere so there is no need to rush. Spread your studying over the year if you want or take 2 gap yrs. There is no point in bombing a second MCAT.
I will definitely consider that as I am studying this summer. If I am not getting scores around what I need, then I will spread it out until next May/June or whenever I am ready. I have pretty much decided on a gap year due to my late test date. I definitely do not want 2 gap years though. Are you suggesting that my study schedule is not enough time though?

I will definitely consider that as I am studying this summer. If I am not getting scores around what I need, then I will spread it out until next May/June or whenever I am ready. I have pretty much decided on a gap year due to my late test date. I definitely do not want 2 gap years though. Are you suggesting that my study schedule is not enough time though?

If it means anything I am applying next summer as well and I have finished all the coursework/content for the test. Even still, I am not taking the test till next April because I am going to slowly work and reinforce the content throughout the summer and the rest of the year.

If it means anything I am applying next summer as well and I have finished all the coursework/content for the test. Even still, I am not taking the test till next April because I am going to slowly work and reinforce the content throughout the summer and the rest of the year.
It does. I appreciate your advice and will absolutely keep it in my mind this summer as I study. Regardless, I am going to use this entire summer for the MCAT and then we will see where my scores are standing at that point. If it's not consistently what I want, then I will definitely do the same as you are doing. Oh and good luck to you!

Also, if you don't mind, what are your practice scores looking like now and what is your goal on the exam?

If you spread it out, it's enough time - it just sounds like you'll be already stressed with your upcoming school year. Understand this: taking the necessary time to ensure you get a good MCAT score is never going to be frowned upon. If you can get your studying done this summer - great. If spreading it over the school year and taking the MCAT next spring will help - awesome. If you want to finish UG first and then focus on the MCAT - that also works. I took 4 yrs off before med school (for my own reasons) but I absolutely made sure I crushed the MCAT and here I am still alive and kicking. Good luck with whatever you choose but don't be afraid of the gap yrs if you're too stressed.

If you spread it out, it's enough time - it just sounds like you'll be already stressed with your upcoming school year. Understand this: taking the necessary time to ensure you get a good MCAT score is never going to be frowned upon. If you can get your studying done this summer - great. If spreading it over the school year and taking the MCAT next spring will help - awesome. If you want to finish UG first and then focus on the MCAT - that also works. I took 4 yrs off before med school (for my own reasons) but I absolutely made sure I crushed the MCAT and here I am still alive and kicking. Good luck with whatever you choose but don't be afraid of the gap yrs if you're too stressed.
Thanks for that! I appreciate all the advice!

Also, if you don't mind, what are your practice scores looking like now and what is your goal on the exam?

I havent even attempted a test yet. At this point I am working through Khan Academy so I can make sure I have at least seen everything content wise. Then after I am done I think I will take an AAMC full length exam so I get a feel for what the test is like.

Then, throughout the summer and the next semesters I will work through content books and test questions to solidify the information. Once I get with within 3 months of the test date then I will really get into "test taking strategy".

OP, your first mistake was taking the MCAT when you weren't ready. I mean, what's the point? You wouldn't magically score high "without studying for it". Don't rush the process. Make sure you're truly ready for the exam. Consistently score high on practice test before you take the MCAT, no matter how long it takes.