When to start studying for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeruvianMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently a sophomore at public university. When is the best time to start studying for the mcat? I'll have finished my last pre req class (physics) my last semester as a junior, so I'll probably take the mcat in may.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you'll probably want at least 6 months to study for the MCAT. If you take it in May, that would put you at a November study start time. It really depends on how good of a test taker you are, how well you did in the prereqs (genchem and ochem, bio and phys, psych and sociology) etc. If you feel good, you could maybe do it in 4 months, if you struggled in the prereqs you may need up to 9 months or so. It's up to you, ultimately.

Devote a summer to it, so take it end of next summer

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, the easiest way to assess when to start preparation would be for you to take a practice test and see how you fare, and tailor your study plan according to your strengths and weaknesses.

Ultimately, you are the only one that can answer this questions. Echoing what others have said, it really depends on your test taking abilities and how well you originally grasped the concepts during your pre-reqs.

That being said, starting too early may cause you to forget some of the info you studied early on. I would recommend 6 months out at the earliest. If you feel like this will not be enough time while you are still taking classes, it may be best to devote a summer to studying. It may set you back a year, but getting it right the first time is a huge advantage.

Actually, the easiest way to assess when to start preparation would be for you to take a practice test and see how you fare, and tailor your study plan according to your strengths and weaknesses.

It would probably be better to do those practice packs that the AAMC provides than a practice test. There is only one full-length exam currently and would be of better use as a practice exam after sometime of study.

Well, you'll probably want at least 6 months to study for the MCAT. If you take it in May, that would put you at a November study start time. It really depends on how good of a test taker you are, how well you did in the prereqs (genchem and ochem, bio and phys, psych and sociology) etc. If you feel good, you could maybe do it in 4 months, if you struggled in the prereqs you may need up to 9 months or so. It's up to you, ultimately.

Where are you coming up with this months? How about devote your life to MCAT.

I've tutored the MCAT. If you asked me to tutor you before I worked up prep-time estimates I would need to know a lot more about you.

If you're just looking for "how long do people typically study for the MCAT," which you really could have just googled, you'd find that most people allot from 2 weeks to 3 months worth of dedicated study time (8-10 hrs/day) depending on how strong they were in their coursework.

The only people who gave good advice above were the ones who said it's person-specific. Take a practice test and let us know how it goes if you want more personal advice.