when you found out you got in, how did you react ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can finally post in this thread too! Yay!

My first acceptance came from a school that I was impressed with but wasn't at the top of my list, so when I was checking my e-mail on my phone, and I noticed a bunch of e-mails from this particular school, one of which was an acceptance, I just thought, "Oh cool. At least I have something."

And then a week later there was supposed to be a status update for one of my top choices, so I was nervously browsing the school-specific thread. After noticing someone posted that he received an acceptance, I rushed to my e-mail on my phone to see if I had gotten anything, and then I went to my computer to make sure I was reading things correctly, that I had gotten in. I proceeded to jump up and down and yell "OH MY GOD" a few times, something that I rarely ever do. And then I called everybody whom I thought might care. That turned out to be A LOT of people.

Members don't see this ad.

Like this:

hEnP8.gif

My boyfriend back in the states sent me a message on skype to say that the school called him and they wanted me to call them. Of course as I live in Korea, I was asleep and didn't get the message until 5:30 PM EST. I called them immediately over skype, but no answer! Figured they were closed and had to wait a day to call them in evening my time. Which I did, I stayed up until 11 PM and then woke up again at 3 Am and no answer!

Next day I called a different number, desperate to reach someone in the office. Finally got in contact with them and they said the director of admissions was in a meeting and they asked me call the next day at 9:30 AM EST, 11:30 PM Korea time. So I did and finally got in contact with them and they said I was in! Did a little jig in my room and then tried to go to sleep as I had to get up at 530 for work. Didn't happen until 2:30 AM so I was dead tired, but ecstatic the next day.

Members don't see this ad :)
I waited by the mailbox like a crazy person for two weeks then got an email from my top choice about visiting the campus and how we would receive an email with our email/I'd information soon. Most anticlimactic acceptance ever. I wasn't 100% sure until the letter came two days later and I cried like a little baby.

BUMP! C'mon, I need some motivating stories right about now!

Well this is from a few months ago but.... :D
I was feeling really crappy the night before because I hadn't gotten any news yet..
Next morning I get a call from a blocked number. Answer. Cell connection lost.
Calls again. Answer. Connection lost.
Calls again. Don't answer so whoever it is can leave a message.
I'm kind of annoyed thinking it is my creepy ex-boyfriend who is the only other person that shows up as blocked number on my phone... but I'm also freaking out that there is the slightest possibility it is my dream school which thanks to SDN I know has been calling people...
Dial voicemail and through the crappy connection I hear "this is Dr. _________......"
I burst into tears and say "what the **** what the ****" over and over!
Oh and my dad ran over to see what was wrong and I said the name of the school and he collapsed to the floor in joy. And then epic triple hug with parents and much crying. ^_^

Forgot about this thread! In all my years of lurking I awaited for the day I could post in here. Well here it goes.

Was at work passing time by casually checking my phone and saw the email from my school. I didn't even need to open to email because the first line was "Congratulations!" which showed up in the notification. But nevertheless, I read it, put my hand over my mouth and my hands started shaking. My boss saw and got incredibly worried. When I told him I had just been accepted, he was in disbelief and hugged me. I then called my parents inviting them for dinner (they are separated), saying I had some news. When I told them at dinner, both my Mom and Dad cried (never seen my Dad cry before). Then I did the typical Facebook Post, got lots of calls and congratulations from friends, and went to the bar that night to celebrate. Was a really good day. :cool:

Well I always wanted to post here. I was stuck on the waitlist (we are given our rank and the list is updated every week on monday for us to see how far they had gone). So the Monday before May 15th rolls around and I'm now in the next 3 people who will get chosen. That was stressful enough....then May 15th rolls around, the guy that was 1 spot ahead of me on the list let me know that he had gotten the call early in the morning so I knew I was next.

That was probably the most stressful part of the cycle....knowing I was so close to getting in. I waited about 4 hours checking my phone every couple of seconds for that call.... I came home for lunch and told my wife what was going on so she was on edge lol. About 15 minutes into my lunch I'm in the bathroom....the phone rings, it was the right area code....I walk out of the bathroom just staring at the phone ringing. My wife saw me and knew instantaneously what was going on. I answer, its the dean welcoming me to the class! My wife starts crying so then I start crying....while I'm talking to the dean on the phone lol. After the call, I phoned my mom and dad, who freaked out, then went back to work. Let me tell you, that acceptance call was one of the best moments of my life. It was worth every sacrifice I made to get there...

Tl:hungover:r. It was SICK!!

Reactions: 1 user
Bump for some motivation while writing these god-awful secondaries

After I become a physician, I'm going to go out of my way to become the director of admissions, and make sure that acceptances/rejections are sent out in both thick AND thin envelopes, just to mess with everyone ;)

We need a "when you found out you didn't get in anywhere, how did you react" thread

Members don't see this ad :)
Ran downstairs to tell my friends, called home to tell my parents, and then went next door and took a shot with one of my best buds to celebrate. After that...I went back to work on some class thing I was doing.

Last edited:
We need a "when you found out you didn't get in anywhere, how did you react" thread

If we had one of those threads I would post this:

Had a good 2 minute cry then proceeded to drink the two bottles of champagne I had bought. Champagne turns out to be a good mourning drink as well as a good celebration drink...

But you pick up and move on! Headed out to my first interview of the 2014 cycle next week!

I can't wait to be able to post some good news in here :p

Glad to see this thread resurrected, it's one of the best on SDN! I read these posts whenever I'm feeling hopeless and it puts a smile on my face thinking of the day I'll be able to post my story here :)

The 'I got [4, 6, a billionty] interviews and didn't get in' threads aren't bad enough?

The 'I got [4, 6, a billionty] interviews and didn't get in' threads aren't bad enough?

A "billionty" ? What a coincidence! I got a billionty on my MCAT. Now I'm just waiting to hear back from Princeton Med.

A "billionty" ? What a coincidence! I got a billionty on my MCAT. Now I'm just waiting to hear back from Princeton Med.

I hear they do rotations at Princeton Plainsboro Teaching Hospital, true?

cant wait to hopefully post on this thread sometime soon!

Personally this thread made my gut uneasy--as I had zero expectation of acceptance.

So for those of you expecting nothing:

I was working for a company that taught EMRs to physicians over the cycle. I worked in the OR helping anesthesia chart. The only real reason I took the job was for more clinical experience. I had to beef up my application for the heart-breaking next cycle. At this point I had not only given up because of my "eh" GPA--but I was an incredibly late applicant (complete most places in November).

Despite this, I was given 3ii. Though one was a WL invite.

While traveling and working on an open-heart case, the anesthesiologist I was teaching kicked back in his chair and checked his email. He knew I had my phone on me (despite it not being allowed) and gave me the go-ahead to check mine.

The email sitting in my inbox was titled "your xxx school application." Ominous...

I absolutely knew it was a rejection. Best case scenario a waitlist. There was no doubt. This particular school is notorious for WL'ing the majority of their class until even after the infamous "15th" date.

Boom: opens up with congratulations. I was in shock, as it didn't even say accepted until the final paragraph.

Visibly shaken, the anesthesiologist asked me if everything was okay. I told him. The whole OR (mid chest cracked/pt on bypass) congratulated me. Anesth took off his gloves and shook my hand. I proceeded to go downstairs and tell my boss (an already admitted classmate himself). I got about two words into my explanation before I compleyely fell apart (unlike me to do). He thought something bad happened and I was quitting, lol. Finally I got it all out. We hugged it out cuz that's what bros do. Then I called my gf and the folks, which of course was again emotional.

Edit: I'm still waiting for my beautiful mind moment... You know, the one that turns out that I haven't really been attending lectures all along, but rather going to some random warehouse everyday and talking to a pigeon. They gave Russel Crowe a "white coat" too--only his had more buckles.

Last edited:
I had to go to the emergency room four hours after I got the news because my erection still hadn't gone down.

Reactions: 1 users
Personally this thread made my gut uneasy--as I had zero expectation of acceptance.

So for those of you expecting nothing:

I was working for a company that taught EMRs to physicians over the cycle. I worked in the OR helping anesthesia chart. The only real reason I took the job was for more clinical experience. I had to beef up my application for the heart-breaking next cycle. At this point I had not only given up because of my "eh" GPA--but I was an incredibly late applicant (complete most places in November).

Despite this, I was given 3ii. Though one was a WL invite.

While traveling and working on an open-heart case, the anesthesiologist I was teaching kicked back in his chair and checked his email. He knew I had my phone on me (despite it not being allowed) and gave me the go-ahead to check mine.

The email sitting in my inbox was titled "your xxx school application." Ominous...

I absolutely knew it was a rejection. Best case scenario a waitlist. There was no doubt. This particular school is notorious for WL'ing the majority of their class until even after the infamous "15th" date.

Boom: opens up with congratulations. I was in shock, as it didn't even say accepted until the final paragraph.

Visibly shaken, the anesthesiologist asked me if everything was okay. I told him. The whole OR (mid chest cracked/pt on bypass) congratulated me. Anesth took off his gloves and shook my hand. I proceeded to go downstairs and tell my boss (an already admitted classmate himself). I got about two words into my explanation before I compleyely fell apart (unlike me to do). He thought something bad happened and I was quitting, lol. Finally I got it all out. We hugged it out cuz that's what bros do. Then I called my gf and the folks, which of course was again emotional.

Edit: I'm still waiting for my beautiful mind moment... You know, the one that turns out that I haven't really been attending lectures all along, but rather going to some random warehouse everyday and talking to a pigeon. They gave Russel Crowe a "white coat" too--only his had more buckles.
Got chills on this one. Must have been an awesome day!

Sometimes SDN gets me down, but this thread is amazing. Easily my favorite. :love:

I was calm, and actually believed there was a good chance I would get in beforehand. . . nonetheless, I was both happy and relieved that the career path of a physician made itself open to me.

Finally getting to post here! I came home on Wednesday, thinking it was too early to get anything, but I checked anyway. Flipped through some Pizza Hut fliers and stuff and then I saw it. I went inside and showed it to my boyfriend and then I paced around the room for a good minute before just tearing it open. Read up until "We are pleased to offer you..." then fell to the floor. Boyfriend picked me up and hugged me for a few minutes while I almost hyperventilated. I ran to my mom's house, passed some neighbors on the way, plus the mail lady (I stopped her and told her she had just made this the best day of my life). Me and my mom jumped up and down a bit. Then I went home and laid in bed for awhile until I couldn't stand it anymore and I put on my running shoes and ran around the block until I just collapsed into the grass and stared up at the clouds for awhile. Felt so awesome.

The best part has been getting to tell friends and family and coworkers and all of their reactions. My aunt cried, it was amazing. :)

Best thread of the internet.

Everyone is at least hoping to post their reaction here, one day. (myself included)

Gave me the lolz. Hopefully that didn't turn out to be true. ;)

I swear i was stuttering when I answered the call telling me I got accepted. I was still stuttering when I told my housemate, and when I called my parents. I was so happy that I was shaking. :p

I received my acceptance call during the middle of my Medical Sociology class. I recognized the admissions office's phone number and literally ran outside into the hallway to take the call. At first the head of the admissions committee asked me if I had a few minutes to talk and I was like oh crap he's just going to tell me why I was rejected... but instead he told me that the committee had voted to give me a seat in the class! I wanted to scream so bad but I actually just ended up going back into class with a huge grin on my face. I immediately called my Mom afterwards and she started crying when I told her. When I got back to my residence hall (I'm a Resident Assistant) I let my residents know and they all gave me a massive group hug. For the rest of the day I felt like I was in a dream, it was all so surreal and wonderful at the same time. I still can't believe it....

Totally living vicariously through you guys right now. :laugh:

Damn I can't believe I tried to post here twice, that's just how happy I am!

I really hope I get to post here! I love reading everyone's stories.. so exciting

I'm probably the only one who gets sad reading this thread, I was so close to being in medical school right now interviews ->waitlist, now i'm a reapplicant with a red flag ugh, no interviews yet

I'm probably the only one who gets sad reading this thread, I was so close to being in medical school right now interviews ->waitlist, now i'm a reapplicant with a red flag ugh, no interviews yet

Keep your head up, no one will care if you applied once or ten times once you get in.

Reactions: 1 user
Was in Kauai on vacation. Actually ran the length of our condo and jumped and did a heel click. One of the happiest moments of my life.