Where are the scholasrships???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ymack

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

After receiving a few acceptances, I am less concerned about whether I'm going to med school and more concerned about getting it paid for. I applied for a few so far. Also, I have been given lists of scholarships sites that I didn't know about by certain schools at the interview. However, most of the sites are not very good at listing scholarships that apply to me. Instead you fill out a profile, hoping the site will narrow it down for you, but you end up going through pages and pages of scholarships for high school students or for med students but living in a different state or something. If anyone has any particular scholarships/sites, let us all know. Use this forum as a means to share the info with everyone.:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

After receiving a few acceptances, I am less concerned about whether I'm going to med school and more concerned about getting it paid for. I applied for a few so far. Also, I have been given lists of scholarships sites that I didn't know about by certain schools at the interview. However, most of the sites are not very good at listing scholarships that apply to me. Instead you fill out a profile, hoping the site will narrow it down for you, but you end up going through pages and pages of scholarships for high school students or for med students but living in a different state or something. If anyone has any particular scholarships/sites, let us all know. Use this forum as a means to share the info with everyone.:xf:

Your best source of available scholarships for you will be the schools that accepted you. Often there are alumi scholarships that are school-specific or given to medical students from specific locations. The financial aid office should let you know if you are eligible for one or more of these.

The second thing that makes you eligible for merit scholarships is what you bring in and what kinds of grades you achieve in medical school. The top 20 folks in my class all received a large number of scholaships. Many of those folks when on to achieve AOA either third year of fourth year.

The other thing that makes you eligible for scholarships are need-based scholarships which are based on your income/your parents income. This means fill out any and all financial aid forms early and keep filling them out.

Lastly, you can search sites on line and see if something is out there. Many organizations such as large insurance corporations, pharmaceutical companies etc will have scholarships for medical students who may meet certain criteria. I earned an American Society of Clinical Pathology paid fellowship that I used the summer between my second and third year because I was the top performer in my second year pathology course.

There are fellowships for students who are interested in all sorts of specialties or interests i.e research fellowships that provide funding for summer that may be out there. Again, your school is going to be your number one resource.