Where do we draw the line?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drwine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished the required Diversity, Equity and Inclusion training at our hospital. During the training I was told that we are to accept that when a coworker has a family matter such as child care issues or dealing with an ill spouse or parent and needs to come in late or miss work that we are not to question their dedication to their work and treat them no differently from any other worker. I have a question that I wanted to get others opinion. Given the current political climate I would not raise the question during the training but at what point does not making any arrangement to deal with the issue if it becomes longstanding cease becoming the problem of coworkers who have to pick up the slack? In my career I have seen colleagues with spouses or parents on their "death bed" for 5-10 years and having to come late, leave early or call in to deal with them. I am compassionate and for a short term I will do whatever possible to help a colleague but at some point it is obvious that we are getting taken advantage of.
I have known others who have taken less than full time jobs because they are open that their family comes first and they are satisfied with their lives.
Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
I just finished the required Diversity, Equity and Inclusion training at our hospital. During the training I was told that we are to accept that when a coworker has a family matter such as child care issues or dealing with an ill spouse or parent and needs to come in late or miss work that we are not to question their dedication to their work and treat them no differently from any other worker. I have a question that I wanted to get others opinion. Given the current political climate I would not raise the question during the training but at what point does not making any arrangement to deal with the issue if it becomes longstanding cease becoming the problem of coworkers who have to pick up the slack? In my career I have seen colleagues with spouses or parents on their "death bed" for 5-10 years and having to come late, leave early or call in to deal with them. I am compassionate and for a short term I will do whatever possible to help a colleague but at some point it is obvious that we are getting taken advantage of.
I have known others who have taken less than full time jobs because they are open that their family comes first and they are satisfied with their lives.
Thoughts?

If this is the case they should take leave under FMLA and the workplace should find a suitable locums physician to pick up the slack. Or pay you as an incentive to do it. I agree we should be compassionate and understanding of our coworkers issues outside of work, but it should not mean you have to do more work for it because someone wants to do less.

Reactions: 5 users
If they benefitted they should either get less compensation or pay it back to their coworkers. Why should I suffer because you decided to have a child? Not my problem.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thoughts?

These trainings going on across the country are pathetic and a waste of time/resources. Virtue signaling pure and simple. No one is learning their tolerance from computer base modules.

Reactions: 12 users
I just finished the required Diversity, Equity and Inclusion training at our hospital. During the training I was told that we are to accept that when a coworker has a family matter such as child care issues or dealing with an ill spouse or parent and needs to come in late or miss work that we are not to question their dedication to their work and treat them no differently from any other worker.
Of all the irrational, contradictory, progressive bullying bs you were hosed with.... *this* is what you find to take issue with?

You have not a prayer....

Reactions: 1 users
This is bleed over from corporate America. The land of "make-work" jobs where most people don't actually do anything. To make money in medicine one must actually show up and produce something not shuffle files of papers from one area to another and email people over and over to plan the next call that is scheduled to plan the next meeting. Based on that alone, one can't just give and give and give in medicine. You aren't covering for Sally in HR who isn't doing anything anyways even when she is at work and therefore it works out fine.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Of all the irrational, contradictory, progressive bullying bs you were hosed with.... *this* is what you find to take issue with?

You have not a prayer....
We are in the midst of the "American Inquisition"😩

• Wow
If they benefitted they should either get less compensation or pay it back to their coworkers. Why should I suffer because you decided to have a child? Not my problem.
86%, of women have kids by the time their child bearing years are done. And presumably most of those weren't immaculate conceptions, so the other 50% of the population had some responsibility as well.

Corporate America has done a a wonderful job of playing employee vs employee to save a dime ("not my problem, it's Julie in the next cubicle who's hosing me"), and that way no one actually looks up the chain to see where the real blame lies. At my hospital we have a massive army of clipboard nurses and administrators who do absolutely nothing to provide patient care, so I'm not going to pretend there's no money available to compensate me if I have to pick up the slack for another anesthesiologist who's having a family issue.

The solution to this isn't telling people to suck it up with their family issues or go part time. What we do is ensure that employers provide sufficient FMLA and parental leave like the rest of the first world.

• Love
  • Dislike
Reactions: 14 users
86%, of women have kids by the time their child bearing years are done. And presumably most of those weren't immaculate conceptions, so the other 50% of the population had some responsibility as well.

Corporate America has done a a wonderful job of playing employee vs employee to save a dime ("not my problem, it's Julie in the next cubicle who's hosing me"), and that way no one actually looks up the chain to see where the real blame lies. At my hospital we have a massive army of clipboard nurses and administrators who do absolutely nothing to provide patient care, so I'm not going to pretend there's no money available to compensate me if I have to pick up the slack for another anesthesiologist who's having a family issue.

The solution to this isn't telling people to suck it up with their family issues or go part time. What we do is ensure that employers provide sufficient FMLA and parental leave like the rest of the first world.

It's not about the money it's about the time. I don't want to be spending extra time in the hospital doing crap cases so Timmy can see mommy an hour earlier. If you take time off you should make arrangements to pay it back somehow or else you breed resentment and poor group dynamics.

• Love
It's not about the money it's about the time. I don't want to be spending extra time in the hospital doing crap cases so Timmy can see mommy an hour earlier. If you take time off you should make arrangements to pay it back somehow or else you breed resentment and poor group dynamics.

This is where 100% production based compensation solves a lot of problems.

Reactions: 11 users
The WORST is the people who have multiple children and want both a rich family life and a un interupted career want the same benefits and remuneration as people who put in more work and who know how to juggle both better. Even worse are the ones who manage to set things up for their benefit because they want more time away and seem to get the same benefits. They are true excrement in my opinion. Anesthesia is rife with that sort of behavior.

Reactions: 2 users
The WORST is the people who have multiple children and want both a rich family life and a un interupted career want the same benefits and remuneration as people who put in more work and who know how to juggle both better. Even worse are the ones who manage to set things up for their benefit because they want more time away and seem to get the same benefits. They are true excrement in my opinion. Anesthesia is rife with that sort of behavior.

You know in any other first world country aside from America, there are social support systems that allow people to raise families. I don't know why you are so angry about people who want some work life balance. Dont make it you vs your colleague. Blame the workplace for running things so lean.

(OK missed thr part about thrm wanting thr same pay for less work. That isn't realistic, at least not through traditional schemes of compensation)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is where 100% production based compensation solves a lot of problems.

This only works if the group is big enough to dilute the call volume and there are enough people looking to pick up extra shifts. There is already lot of call to go around in an MD only group. It’s not about money.

We are 100% productivity.

Same. Also requires a decent size group with a good mix of demographics. We have people who take no call, some who take almost no call, and people who’ve taken months long LOA. We have others who take a lot of call. Works for everyone.

This only works if the group is big enough to dilute the call volume and there are enough people looking to pick up extra shifts. There is already lot of call to go around in an MD only group. It’s not about money.

True. But money helps. We have no problem giving away call shifts/late shifts. They are usually gone a few minutes after a groupwide email blast.

Also a few years ago, I needed a week off to attend a funeral overseas with zero notice. Everyone stepped up to help me. Their words to me were, “Go. Don’t worry about it. We’ll take care of it.” It’s nice to work in a group that takes care of each other.

Last edited:
I don't know why you are so angry about people who want some work life balance.
Do you think anyone who is great at anything has work/life balance? Ask those olympians if they have work/life balance. You want work/life balance, be mediocre. Thats what work/life balance means to me. being mediocre. It means you dont really care about being perfect. You cant be perfect and want to leave at 330 at the same time. You will be a mediocre surgeon.

• Haha
  • Okay...
Do you think anyone who is great at anything has work/life balance? Ask those olympians if they have work/life balance. You want work/life balance, be mediocre. Thats what work/life balance means to me. being mediocre. It means you dont really care about being perfect. You cant be perfect and want to leave at 330 at the same time. You will be a mediocre surgeon.

That's true maybe if you are still in training. When you are an attending working at your job you aren't thinking "if I work another 10 hours this week I'll be an even better anesthesiologist"

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Anesthesia is not being an Olympic athlete. There’s just no comparison.

You cant be perfect and want to leave at 330 at the same time. You will be a mediocre surgeon.

It's funny you make that comment. Some of the best surgeons we have at our hospital are efficient and are out of the hospital well before 330 pm.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 18 users

One of the great anesthesiologists that I trained under used to say there is no such thing as work-life balance, it's just a matter of finding the most comfortable imbalance between the two. He's not wrong.

That said, I think you need a life outside of the hospital. Most of us are in this specialty because we value our time outside of work.

Lol wtf. We are anesthesiologists. Pretty much the medical definition of mediocre. Also most of us work for hospitals or AMC’s as W2. They will take any MD with a pulse. No olympians here….

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Lol wtf. We are anesthesiologists. Pretty much the medical definition of mediocre. Also most of us work for hospitals or AMC’s as W2. They will take any MD with a pulse. No olympians here….
Look up mediocre in the dictionary and the ASA logo pops up

• Haha
No one is denying it. I chose Anesthesia precisely because it offered a decent income with good work life balance. Also a relatively short and benign residency. Even if I wanted to be a surgeon I did not have the stamina for the extended/malignant training and for the first couple of years out before you establish yourself. I recognize this about myself and chose my specialty accordingly. FWIW I’ve seen plenty of surgical residents jump ship to anesthesia, have never seen it the other way around….

You said you're production based, so feel free to dump those cases on someone else and take off for whatever reason you want. If your payor mix and/or stipend is good enough then I'm sure you can find someone to pick up the slack so you don't have to throw mommy track people under the bus. And if that's not feasible then the only people to blame are the partners who lay out the rules for who does what cases and when. If you value time more than money then there are plenty of clock punching W2 positions out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thoughts?

I agree.
Show up, do your job and don’t burden others with your personal life. Obviously if there is a death or sickness or whatever serious issue is happening then fine- 1000% happy to step in and help. Outside of that either go part time or find a different job.

I agree w/ what someone else said above regarding having kids: it was your “choice” so deal with that choice w/o being a burden to others. Anything outside of that is selfish and unwanted IMO.

Not sure how prevalent these warm fuzzy groups are out there…. But if I was continually asked to stick around past 5pm to help a partner so that person can go pick up their kids I would not be happy. To me it means a forfeited workout or bike ride or time with my wife at home. All those things are equally important over the long run.

Best solution is to come under contract with those mommy track hours in mind- and be paid appropriately. Fairness is always one of THE most important aspects of any anesthesia job.

Reactions: 9 users
You said you're production based, so feel free to dump those cases on someone else and take off for whatever reason you want. If your payor mix and/or stipend is good enough then I'm sure you can find someone to pick up the slack so you don't have to throw mommy track people under the bus. And if that's not feasible then the only people to blame are the partners who lay out the rules for who does what cases and when. If you value time more than money then there are plenty of clock punching W2 positions out there.

wtf are you talking about

• Haha

I don't know about mediocre as the appropriate descriptor. Anesthesia is fairly competitive field, especially true for top programs.

I also wouldn't call it a great lifestyle field either. I would consider that more in line with PM&R, psychiatry, FM, pathology, ophthalmology, derm, rads.

You are making work life comparisons with surgical fields (a small proportion of physicians) which in my mind require a special type of mental persistence to do.

wtf are you talking about
Exactly what I said. You're complaining about picking up work from someone who leaves early but yet you work in a production based system. If time is that valuable to you then work somewhere where you punch a clock if you don't want the extra units.

That, or have the partners create flex mommy track W2 positions or create minimum work hour rules. You're blaming your colleague for inconveniencing you when you guys are your own bosses and make your own rules. Doesn't make sense.

We have gone from a meritocracy (many fields) to an "equity" based system. Now, how hard you work and how much effort you put in matters much less than being "woke" and "inclusive" even if it means unfairness to the majority. Rather than have a Merit based Director we have a Diversity Director making decisions across the board on everything from hiring to promotions to firing.

The "rest of the world" means European socialism with an emphasis on low productivity. The USA has always had a higher GDP than Europe. What about China? I seriously doubt the Chinese Communist Party could give a rat's arse about "equity" or "inclusion" or FMLA. In order to maintain our position in the world economy we must re-embrace meritocracy across the board.

I think NON PAID time off is appropriate but if someone gets extra time for personal reasons then everyone should be offered that same time off.
I guess my definition of "fairness" is based on old fashioned values where everyone receives the same treatment regardless of race, sex, gender identity, religion or personal matters.

If the system treats every worker/employee the same in terms of real benefits then by all means the company/hospital should implement it. For example, John is a single Gay male. He is punctual, hard-working and stays late. When his colleague, Sally, decides to take 8 weeks paid FMLA for a newborn baby John is asked to fill the gap. John, being single, has no interest in ever having a child but wants to know why he can't get 8 weeks off to stay at home with his 75 year old mother (with pay)? In fact, per company policy Sally is planning a second child in 2 years and again receiving 8 weeks off with pay (FMLA). John is very unhappy that the vast majority of his female colleagues are getting all this time off with pay and now, even his married male colleagues are filing for THEIR 8 weeks of FMLA with pay.

Last edited:
Exactly what I said. You're complaining about picking up work from someone who leaves early but yet you work in a production based system. If time is that valuable to you then work somewhere where you punch a clock if you don't want the extra units.

That, or have the partners create flex mommy track W2 positions or create minimum work hour rules. You're blaming your colleague for inconveniencing you when you guys are your own bosses and make your own rules. Doesn't make sense.

Lol. It seems like you don’t understand how billing works. 100% productivity eat what you kill model. You don’t get paid if you’re not working. If you sit around between cases waiting to start a train wreck medicare or worse, uninsured, add on to be dragged up from the ED, you are working for peanuts. Someone has to get the work done or your competition will. Some people feel entitled to the benefits of private practice with the clock punching of being employed. Not all cases are blue cross blue shield done before 3. It’s disingenuous to pretend you don’t owe it to your group and surgeons to cover your share of the train wreck add ons no one wants to do. I agree with the sentiment that there seems to be a growing entitlement of mommy trackers supported by the woke.

We have gone from a meritocracy (many fields) to an "equity" based system. Now, how hard you work and how much effort you put in matters much less than being "woke" and "inclusive" even if it means unfairness to the majority. Rather than have a Merit based Director we have a Diversity Director making decisions across the board on everything from hiring to promotions to firing.

The "rest of the world" means European socialism with an emphasis on low productivity. The USA has always had a higher GDP than Europe. What about China? I seriously doubt the Chinese Communist Party could give a rat's arse about "equity" or "inclusion" or FMLA. In order to maintain our position in the world economy we must re-embrace meritocracy across the board.

I think NON PAID time off is appropriate but if someone gets extra time for personal reasons then everyone should be offered that same time off.
I guess my definition of "fairness" is based on old fashioned values where everyone receives the same treatment regardless of race, sex, gender identity, religion or personal matters.

If the system treats every worker/employee the same in terms of real benefits then by all means the company/hospital should implement it. For example, John is a single Gay male. He is punctual, hard-working and stays late. When his colleague, Sally, decides to take 8 weeks paid FMLA for a newborn baby John is asked to fill the gap. John, being single, has no interest in ever having a child but wants to know why he can't get 8 weeks off to stay at home with his 75 year old mother (with pay)? In fact, per company policy Sally is planning a second child in 2 years and again receiving 8 weeks off with pay (FMLA). John is very unhappy that the vast majority of his female colleagues are getting all this time off with pay and now, even his married male colleagues are filing for THEIR 8 weeks of FMLA with pay.
John in your example should be compensated for any extra work he had to do or any extra time he had to be there beyond what his contract said. He should also be allowed time off if demonstrably he has an issue with elder care. Despite all your strawmen, it's pretty obvious that having a robust social support system actually makes working people more productive...because they don't constantly have to worry about the support system.

Also, I'm dying at the irony that Blade, man of faith, defender of family values, defender of traditional marriage, thinks people should be just be thrown to the wolves without pay if they dare to try to balance having a newborn with continuing to earn a pay check.

• Haha

funniest thing I read in a while. Can’t believe this guy is serious m. Get over yourself lmaoo Olympic athlete

We are so short on staff, that's exactly the only qualification we have to join our group. Our interview actually consists of meeting our HR person who palates a pulse and gives you an ID. We ran into an Issue where the hr person called me confused saying she couldn't hire someone. Turned out he had a radial artery harvest for a cabg. Now we ask her to check the carotid.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Lol. It seems like you don’t understand how billing works. 100% productivity eat what you kill model. You don’t get paid if you’re not working. If you sit around between cases waiting to start a train wreck medicare or worse, uninsured, add on to be dragged up from the ED, you are working for peanuts. Someone has to get the work done or your competition will. Some people feel entitled to the benefits of private practice with the clock punching of being employed. Not all cases are blue cross blue shield done before 3. It’s disingenuous to pretend you don’t owe it to your group and surgeons to cover your share of the train wreck add ons no one wants to do. I agree with the sentiment that there seems to be a growing entitlement of mommy trackers supported by the woke.
I think you got a reading problem because a productivity system is exactly what I described, and then further I said that's assuming his payor mix and/or stipend actually makes people want to work. If your payor mix/stipend sucks so bad that people arent hungry to stay late or pick up calls then you shouldn't structure your practice as eat what you kill.

Who's pretending one doesn't owe it to their group to do their fair share of work? Stop putting words in my mouth. If you are in a PP, you all come up with your own rules. If someone is abusing those rules, you're your own bosses and can figure it out. My contention is that it's idiotic when one W2 peon blames some other W2 peon when they take a reasonable amount of FMLA or parental leave instead of blaming the employer who should make it the cost of doing business in a first world society where we take care of our children and our ill family members.

Reactions: 4 users
Mommy track jobs exist. There's nothing wrong with them. If you want that kind of arrangement, seek it out.

Two of the best anesthesiologists I've known were women who split a full time position between them. They had great lifestyles and no one resented them.

We don't need laws to give physicians paid time off for life stuff. If you don't like the work-life balance at your job, or if your colleagues suck and take advantage of you, or you can't take a few months of leave when a child is born, get a better job. Half-time jobs for a mere $200K are eeeeeeverywhere. Locums jobs for a week or two here and there are eeeeeeverywhere.

Mommy track jobs exist. There's nothing wrong with them. If you want that kind of arrangement, seek it out.

Two of the best anesthesiologists I've known were women who split a full time position between them. They had great lifestyles and no one resented them.

We don't need laws to give physicians paid time off for life stuff. If you don't like the work-life balance at your job, or if your colleagues suck and take advantage of you, or you can't take a few months of leave when a child is born, get a better job. Half-time jobs for a mere $200K are eeeeeeverywhere. Locums jobs for a week or two here and there are eeeeeeverywhere.
Agreed, (most) physicians are in a different earning class and have a level of job availability/mobility which makes them a distinct entity from the average $40-50k a year employee who was the predominant target audience of the OP's HR talk. Child care and elder care makes up a much, much larger percentage of those folks' incomes.

Seek it out if that’s what you want. It’s the continuous expectation of special treatment typically by those with kids throughout residency and now a partnership that bothers me. Off early for kids. Off early so you can go walk your dog. Expectation of top choice of desirable shifts or off on holidays because you want to be with your family. Guess what, everyone wants to be with their families on holidays. I don’t care if someone takes maternity leave or paternity leave, but no one should get special treatment in residency. The entitled mindset was definitely there in residency and seems to have creeped in to private practice in most of my friends practices. It’s not just medicine. Happens in other fields as well. It’s not productive to pretend it doesn’t.

Seek it out if that’s what you want. It’s the continuous expectation of special treatment typically by those with kids throughout residency and now a partnership that bothers me. Off early for kids. Off early so you can go walk your dog. Expectation of top choice of desirable shifts or off on holidays because you want to be with your family. Guess what, everyone wants to be with their families on holidays. I don’t care if someone takes maternity leave or paternity leave, but no one should get special treatment in residency. The entitled mindset was definitely there in residency and seems to have creeped in to private practice in most of my friends practices. It’s not just medicine. Happens in other fields as well. It’s not productive to pretend it doesn’t.

Residency is going to dog****. They encourage you to take days off for mental health nowadays. I'm not saying that mental health is not important but what about your coresidents' mental health? Just such selfish behavior but trying to pass it off as virtuous.

Residency is going to dog****. They encourage you to take days off for mental health nowadays. I'm not saying that mental health is not important but what about your coresidents' mental health? Just such selfish behavior but trying to pass it off as virtuous.
What ****ty ass residency did you go to that somebody taking a day off meant you had to cover down on their work? Sure like if you had to cover the pain pager for the day that would suck, but it ain't like residents are being forced to cover two or three rooms at once or anything.

Reactions: 4 users
Applaud the implementation of mental health day. Residency is already gruesome and would not be upset even if I had to stay late. Seen enough suicides during my training and drug abuse that a mental day is a change in the right direction.

What ****ty ass residency did you go to that somebody taking a day off meant you had to cover down on their work? Sure like if you had to cover the pain pager for the day that would suck, but it ain't like residents are being forced to cover two or three rooms at once or anything.

If the attending is covering a room with a crna and a room with a resident and they need people what do you want the resident to do? How does that make a residency ****ty?

I am glad I trained when I did. We had a single mom resident who always got to go home early. Had one attending question this by saying

“hey you just got married, you should get to go home before the single mom so you have “extra time” to start your family.”

you would be fired for saying that today.

If the attending is covering a room with a crna and a room with a resident and they need people what do you want the resident to do? How does that make a residency ****ty?
Well there are the way things actually work and the way things should work and I know that it is unrealistical, but the hospitals are SUPPOSED to be able to function without the residents being present. I mean, what do they do when the residents all go to graduation or when they are taking the ITE or the basic exam? Like you can't tell me that those scenarios are easily covered, but a resident needing a day off once in a while (hell even when 2 or 3 residents need a day off at the same time) is suddenly breaking the schedule for all the other worker bees. If that's the case, then yes, you had a ****ty residency. ESPECIALLY if that's the case, then residents need to start getting paid, at the very least, the same as CRNAs are getting paid.

Well there are the way things actually work and the way things should work and I know that it is unrealistical, but the hospitals are SUPPOSED to be able to function without the residents being present. I mean, what do they do when the residents all go to graduation or when they are taking the ITE or the basic exam? Like you can't tell me that those scenarios are easily covered, but a resident needing a day off once in a while (hell even when 2 or 3 residents need a day off at the same time) is suddenly breaking the schedule for all the other worker bees. If that's the case, then yes, you had a ****ty residency. ESPECIALLY if that's the case, then residents need to start getting paid, at the very least, the same as CRNAs are getting paid.

Well when residents are calling out at 7 am for a 730 case start time yes that can break the schedule
Stop maligning my residency to try to make yourself feel better about your own

Well when residents are calling out at 7 am for a 730 case start time yes that can break the schedule
Stop maligning my residency to try to make yourself feel better about your own
Oh dude, I was definitely not trying to do that. I was just typing lazily. I'm Army btw, 1on1 supervision is where it's at. Peace.

• Haha
If you were in a small program of roughly 5 per class, trust me, 2-3 deadbeats regularly dumping on others is felt hard.