Where in app to explain my confusing situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joelawyer

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay you guys have been so helpful in preparing my app; one more question.

I come from a past career which was really unusual; I.e., involved moving between a few countries and an odd timeline of taking temporary jobs for periods while I waited for visas etc to continue. All of it is explicable and involves no lack of commitment etc and I want to just explain the process somewhere to put it in context. Ideally I feel like this should go somewhere adcoms will read first…

Is the secondary “Anything Else” question a good place for this? Do adcoms read activities first? Personal statement?

Members don't see this ad.

Is this necessary to tell? Does it add anything to "Who am I?" or "Why Medicine?"
My main concern is that if I don’t explain it, med schools will believe I have been bouncing around between careers without a focus in life, which isn’t the case.

Could I maybe PM you the activity description I used to get your feedback on whether it’s straightforward as is?

Members don't see this ad :)
Med schools don't do a CIA level background check on you. You'll probably just make an activity for "Various Employment" and list some things there. You'd probably just briefly mention that you worked in different countries in your personal statement. Lots of people take odd jobs to make ends meet and unless something is contributing directly to your personal statement you don't have to draw attention to it.

Reactions: 2 users
The vagueness with which you describe this is not going to help your application.
The first occupations coming to my mind as fitting this awful attempt at description are human trafficker or drug mule! This may just mean that I watch too many crime shows on TV, but that's where my mind wandered. :oops:

If you are trying to explain the reason for your timeline, you can as @lumya suggested list the jobs under one "various employment" heading.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
My main concern is that if I don’t explain it, med schools will believe I have been bouncing around between careers without a focus in life, which isn’t the case.

Could I maybe PM you the activity description I used to get your feedback on whether it’s straightforward as is?
Why don’t you just tell all of us? It might be a big nothing but the way you are hedging around it sounds a bit(at least ) questionable.

Reactions: 1 users

ii mean thats what the personal statement is for isn't it?