Where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Felixor90

Michigan State 2019!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm preparing to apply for the first time this summer and want to apply to 6-7 schools. I know for sure that I'm applying to Florida (IS), Iowa, and Ohio (Iowa because I loved their campus after attending APVMA and Ohio for their exotics program. Aside from those 3, I'm not sure where else to apply.
I'd prefer schools with a good exotics program or at least a few electives. Also, I'd love to attend a school that puts a lot of emphasis on clinical experience very early on instead of the first 2-3 years just being classwork. Lastly, schools that weigh your gpa more heavily than others would not be ideal for me (sitting in the 3.4 area).

Is there a good compilation of information on each school that covers programs and how much they weigh different aspects of the application? I tried finding one but couldn't stumble upon anything. If not, recommendations based on what you know about specific schools would be awesome too.

Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm preparing to apply for the first time this summer and want to apply to 6-7 schools. I know for sure that I'm applying to Florida (IS), Iowa, and Ohio (Iowa because I loved their campus after attending APVMA and Ohio for their exotics program. Aside from those 3, I'm not sure where else to apply.
I'd prefer schools with a good exotics program or at least a few electives. Also, I'd love to attend a school that puts a lot of emphasis on clinical experience very early on instead of the first 2-3 years just being classwork. Lastly, schools that weigh your gpa more heavily than others would not be ideal for me (sitting in the 3.4 area).

Is there a good compilation of information on each school that covers programs and how much they weigh different aspects of the application? I tried finding one but couldn't stumble upon anything. If not, recommendations based on what you know about specific schools would be awesome too.

Thanks in advance! :)

I thought this was a pretty good resource when I was looking in to applying to vet schools. My advisor gets the new edition every couple years so I didn't have to purchase it myself, but I did think it was incredibly helpful and very thorough. There are also the college descriptor pages that are a good resource on the aavmc website. Good Luck!!! :) http://www.aavmc.org/Publications/VMSAR.aspx

It might be more beneficial to post in the "What are my chances?" thread at the top of the forum. It helps to know more about you as an applicant (exp., sci/pre-req GPA, GRE, etc.), so we can say if you'd be a strong candidate for the schools you're interested in, as well as direct you to a few other options. :)

Also, try and limit to schools you'd actually want to attend, as well as those that are financially feasible. You want to come out with as little debt as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
That actually sounds like a great idea. I'll do that in 2 weeks after finals when I know my new GPA instead of posting now and having to post later. :)

I'm gonna check with my adviser to see if he has a copy of the VMSAR before I buy one myself.

Thanks for the suggestions . :)

Reactions: 1 users
My biggest piece of advice is to only apply to schools that, if you get in, you'll go there. So make sure you're okay with the location, the cost, the curriculum, etc because if that one school you weren't so sure about is the only school you get into then what do you do? Wait a year and hope for the best or go somewhere you don't really want to go?

Also - make sure you have all the pre-reqs for all the schools you're applying for.

Reactions: 1 user
Well that's why I was wanting to find out which ones had the programs I'm interested in. I don't care as much about location. Cost is obviously a factor but not one that will stop me from attending a school if I don't get into my IS.

My plan is to apply only to the ones that offer the programs I'm interested in. And yes, aside from microbiology and physics 2, which I'll be taking this fall, all my other prerequisites are met for all the schools.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Look into schools that will allow conversion of residency, like ohio and NCSU, too!

Look into schools that will allow conversion of residency, like ohio and NCSU, too!
Add Mizzou as well! You can get residency here after the first year and curriculum is unique in that it offers a 2+2 structure (2 years of lecture and then you start clinics in October of your third year).

LSU has a good exotics program, and has one and a half years of clinics, not just one. Still not super clinically focused in the first year, though. I don't recall how much weight they place on GPA, although IIRC LSU cares more about your last 45 GPA than your overall.

Can't change residency once you're accepted though.

Pretty sure mizzou weighs GPA quite heavily though.
Oops, I didn't see that part in OP's post. Yes, Mizzou is one that weighs GPA a bit more than some other schools, though it is possible to get in with a lower GPA if you are well rounded otherwise.

Also, I didn't the part about wanting exotics either:smack: (exam brain?). Mizzou (per what I heard) has a great, balanced caseload, but it is lacking quite a bit in the exotics department (Although they do have a raptor rehab place in the hospital. and extra clinics would allow for someone to have more externships/prectorships in exotics if they choose, so from what I was told you can get the experience if you look for it).

University of Illinois has a wildlife clinic on campus that's staffed entirely by students, and they have a new curriculum in which you get 8 weeks of clinical training every year for the first 3 years and then a standard fourth year of rotations (I can't remember if they start rotations in 3rd year like LSU does).

LSU has a good exotics program, and has one and a half years of clinics, not just one. Still not super clinically focused in the first year, though. I don't recall how much weight they place on GPA, although IIRC LSU cares more about your last 45 GPA than your overall.

Can't change residency once you're accepted though.

This is true about their GPA requirements. They don't look at your cumulative GPA at all, they calculate your science and last 45 credit hour GPAs. They also calculate the science GPA a little differently so that it benefits you; they count all the required science courses, then factor in other upper level science classes that you got A's in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohio is lacking a bit in the exotics department, too. What have you heard about the program? We don't even see exotics in the hospital :/

Ohio is lacking a bit in the exotics department, too. What have you heard about the program? We don't even see exotics in the hospital :/
Whaaaaat?!? :arghh::nailbiting: I don't know where I read (a long time ago) that they had a great exotics program. For some reason, ever since I switched to a pre-vet track, I've always wanted to go to OSU. Hmmm might have to rethink it now. :shrug:

Whaaaaat?!? :arghh::nailbiting: I don't know where I read (a long time ago) that they had a great exotics program. For some reason, ever since I switched to a pre-vet track, I've always wanted to go to OSU. Hmmm might have to rethink it now. :shrug:
Ohio is still a great school, don't get me wrong! Sorry to burst your bubble :(

Wisconsin has some really great doctors in the special species department with a reasonably large caseload and works with nearby zoos as well (including one in town). OOS tuition is very affordable. Madison's a great place to live, too. Feel free to PM me if you have questions about their program.

This is true about their GPA requirements. They don't look at your cumulative GPA at all, they calculate your science and last 45 credit hour GPAs. They also calculate the science GPA a little differently so that it benefits you; they count all the required science courses, then factor in other upper level science classes that you got A's in.

Is that a recent change, allygator? I applied to LSU about 4 years ago and they did then. They also wanted to repeat some very basic courses. Shame cause I was born in BR and both parents attended LSU.

Is that a recent change, allygator? I applied to LSU about 4 years ago and they did then. They also wanted to repeat some very basic courses. Shame cause I was born in BR and both parents attended LSU.

Hmm, it might be. I honestly have no idea since this is my first year applying to schools!

But this is on the "How are GPA's Calculated for Applicants?" info page:

"NOTE - An applicant's OVERALL/CUMULATIVE GPA is NOT used in the evaluation process - only the Required Courses GPA and the Last 45 Credit Hour GPA as described below."

And this for the required courses GPA:

"In addition to the specific prerequisite courses, also factored into the Required Course GPA are any other Animal Science, Physical Science or Biological Science courses that are taken and in which an "A" grade is earned. Social science, humanities, business, kinesiology, and any general education courses are NOT calculated into the Required Course GPA; however these courses (with the exception of kinesiology courses) will still be used for the Last 45 Credit Hour as seen below."

But this is on the "How are GPA's Calculated for Applicants?" info page:

"NOTE - An applicant's OVERALL/CUMULATIVE GPA is NOT used in the evaluation process - only the Required Courses GPA and the Last 45 Credit Hour GPA as described below."

And this for the required courses GPA:

"In addition to the specific prerequisite courses, also factored into the Required Course GPA are any other Animal Science, Physical Science or Biological Science courses that are taken and in which an "A" grade is earned. Social science, humanities, business, kinesiology, and any general education courses are NOT calculated into the Required Course GPA; however these courses (with the exception of kinesiology courses) will still be used for the Last 45 Credit Hour as seen below."

Where do you get that information for other schools? I wish there were a list that actually told you how the schools weigh/calculate GPA, GRE, etc. Does the VMSAR have this? I preordered this year's edition.

Where do you get that information from? I wish there were a list that actually told you how the schools weigh/calculate GPA, GRE, etc. Does the VMSAR have this? I preordered this year's edition.

For LSU, the GPA-specific information can be found on this page:

http://www1.vetmed.lsu.edu/Admissions/DVMAdmissionsInfo/GPAs/item26652.html

But usually information like this can be found on any of the school's admissions information pages. I think LSU has a few different pages talking about their entire admissions process including how many people they interview, accept, and how they score you on various parts of the application.

For LSU, the GPA-specific information can be found on this page:

http://www1.vetmed.lsu.edu/Admissions/DVMAdmissionsInfo/GPAs/item26652.html

But usually information like this can be found on any of the school's admissions information pages. I think LSU has a few different pages talking about their entire admissions process including how many people they interview, accept, and how they score you on various parts of the application.
Really? I'm having a hell of a time finding it on any of the other schools.:bored:

Really? I'm having a hell of a time finding it on any of the other schools.:bored:

Huh... Maybe LSU just gives way more detailed information than most others :p But I think it also depends on the individual school's admissions process since I think they're all a little different. Like some schools do the point system, some schools look at your application then if you get an interview you're on an even playing field with everyone again and admission is based only on your interview. I'm sure if you emailed the schools they would give you detailed information about how they weigh GPAs and everything!

By the way, LSU is definitely on my list now. Replaced OSU in the top 3.

Huh... Maybe LSU just gives way more detailed information than most others :p But I think it also depends on the individual school's admissions process since I think they're all a little different. Like some schools do the point system, some schools look at your application then if you get an interview you're on an even playing field with everyone again and admission is based only on your interview. I'm sure if you emailed the schools they would give you detailed information about how they weigh GPAs and everything!
Yeah I'm going to have to call/email them about that. Thanks for you help! :bow:

It also may e beneficial to look t the number of out of state students each school takes...you've got a much better Janice at a school that takes 30 out of state students than at a school that takes 5...

Reactions: 1 users
It also may e beneficial to look t the number of out of state students each school takes...you've got a much better chance at a school that takes 30 out of state students than at a school that takes 5...

Agreed. Being an OOS applicant can be a bummer when some schools take so few (Georgia only takes 11, and LSU takes 13 for example). Here's a good breakdown of numbers. http://www.aavmc.org/data/files/vmcas/geninfo2014.pdf

Agreed. Being an OOS applicant can be a bummer when some schools take so few (Georgia only takes 11, and LSU takes 13 for example). Here's a good breakdown of numbers. http://www.aavmc.org/data/files/vmcas/geninfo2014.pdf

Just to clarify, LSU takes 15. In past years though they have increased to as many as 20. It seems the norm is 16 though. Still not many, like beatles was saying. And that link was super informative!