where to take the Kaplan, city or suburb?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lisochka

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) I have a choice to take the Kaplan in Salt Lake City (which is further away from me, about 40-50 min drive) or in Ogden, which is closer to me.
Do you think the teachers in Salt Lake will be better, since it is a bigger city?
2) Someone asked on this forum if it was true that you can take the MCAT just 3 times... Is that true? Is it 3 times a year or 3 times per your life?
And if you fail- you don't get to go to the Med School at all? You are done?
which sounds strange...

Members don't see this ad.

Lisochka said:
1) I have a choice to take the Kaplan in Salt Lake City (which is further away from me, about 40-50 min drive) or in Ogden, which is closer to me.
Do you think the teachers in Salt Lake will be better, since it is a bigger city?
2) Someone asked on this forum if it was true that you can take the MCAT just 3 times... Is that true? Is it 3 times a year or 3 times per your life?
which sounds strange...

1)A good teacher is luck of the draw. Being in the big city does not necessarily translate to better teachers. Take the shorter drive so you have more free time and save gas money.

2)you may take it more times. You can read the FAQ on the AAMC website on how to take it over 3 times. It is a simple procedure. People on this forum have taken it a fourth time without much trouble. You may find this on a search.

When they change the frequency of the exam I do not imagine or have heard of any new changes in policy.

Bust your A@@ so you only have to take it once. :luck:

Lisochka said:
which sounds strange...

Kaplan teachers are hit or miss. I'm just speculating, but I would think that the teachers would be a better in an area with a lot quality medical schools. This means that the applicant pool to become an instructor would be more competitive. But overall, I don't think you can predict the quality of the teachers by the area.

HunterGatherer said:
Bust your A@@ so you only have to take it once. :luck:

That is interesting... The doctor I shadow said I should take the MCAT as many times as possible because it will sho how persistant I am
he said it worked for him and his son.

So, I was a little confused by his advice.
I have read on this site that it is better to take it once, when you are really ready, than few times.
what do you guys think?