Where'd you match and what rank was it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Awesome - thanks for the tip. Yeah I was really grateful I got interviews at schools that I didn't want to go to first (for applying to medical school) and the first one I botched totally. By the time I got to the schools I wanted to go to I had 2 under my belt and it made a huge difference. You're helping me realize having more interviews for residency will be similar- more practice for the interviews that count.

I mean sure, but like, you're not guaranteed Arizona interviews is my point. And you're not guaranteed that if you get them, you'll match there. It will be hard. Between not matching and leaving Arizona, what's the better choice?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I mean sure, but like, you're not guaranteed Arizona interviews is my point. And you're not guaranteed that if you get them, you'll match there. It will be hard. Between not matching and leaving Arizona, what's the better choice?

It's true and like I said earlier I would apply to states around Arizona as backups too (since there would be enough potential residencies that way)- but I got to agree I think the same way.

Another option, if you really, REALLY can't leave Arizona, is to pursue a second specialty. Go for Gen Surgery and then also apply to a handful of say FM or IM programs (whatever less competitive specialty you like, really). To concentrate odds of ending up in Arizona.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When I read how many applications you sent out, I threw up in my mouth a little. Not looking forward to that ERAS journey

It's specialty specific obviously. And what specialties are competitive is in a constant state of flux. Right now Anesthesia is trending down so if you decide to apply there it may not be as bad as what Koan has dealt with this year.

Me, I did Family Med. I applied to what I felt were the best programs in my geographic target area and a few outside the area. I think I did 28 applications in all and I got something on the order of 19 interview invites. My target area is probably among the most competitive in the country for FM too.

Reactions: 1 user
Another option, if you really, REALLY can't leave Arizona, is to pursue a second specialty. Go for Gen Surgery and then also apply to a handful of say FM or IM programs (whatever less competitive specialty you like, really). To concentrate odds of ending up in Arizona.

I was sort of debating EM but that seems just as competitive if not more so than gen surg no? But either way it'd increase my chances like you said.

It's specialty specific obviously. And what specialties are competitive is in a constant state of flux. Right now Anesthesia is trending down so if you decide to apply there it may not be as bad as what Koan has dealt with this year.

Me, I did Family Med. I applied to what I felt were the best programs in my geographic target area and a few outside the area. I think I did 28 applications in all and I got something on the order of 19 interview invites. My target area is probably among the most competitive in the country for FM too.

I'm curious to see what screw-balls the merger brings. I mean, I wonder if DO schools will be less appealing because of possibly making it harder to match.