Which GPA do I use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EekVonBlergh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

This may be a dumb question, but I've scoured SDN's threads and the almighty Google and have not reached any semblance of a conclusion.

Which GPA do I put on my graduate school applications if there is only one spot and it just states "Undergraduate GPA: _____". Is this my cumulative GPA for my entire degree, or as some people argue, my major GPA? The last one doesn't really make sense to me, but I've seen people suggest that fairly often.

Secondly, if it is in fact my cumulative GPA, do I include every college course I've ever taken (for example at a community college) that will still appear on my transcripts but is "in excess" of any courses counted towards my degree? I have 4 courses from community college that aren't counted at all (even as elective credits) towards my degree and I'm wondering if I need to factor them in since they will be on my transcripts.

Thank you for any advice; I do sincerely appreciate it.
-Hope

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all!

This may be a dumb question, but I've scoured SDN's threads and the almighty Google and have not reached any semblance of a conclusion.

Which GPA do I put on my graduate school applications if there is only one spot and it just states "Undergraduate GPA: _____". Is this my cumulative GPA for my entire degree, or as some people argue, my major GPA? The last one doesn't really make sense to me, but I've seen people suggest that fairly often.

Secondly, if it is in fact my cumulative GPA, do I include every college course I've ever taken (for example at a community college) that will still appear on my transcripts but is "in excess" of any courses counted towards my degree? I have 4 courses from community college that aren't counted at all (even as elective credits) towards my degree and I'm wondering if I need to factor them in since they will be on my transcripts.

Thank you for any advice; I do sincerely appreciate it.
-Hope

Unless the application specifically asks for it, list your cumulative GPA.

And yes, count every class you've taken. Basically, give the cumulative GPA on your final transcript, which should include all coursework you've taken.

Well, my final transcript only calculates my grades from my university, not the community college courses I took. But, I know how to calculate it using grade points and all that, so it isn't a problem to figure out (just a little work!).

Thank you for your feedback! I'll just go ahead and include all courses ever taken so there isn't any concern of dishonesty. :)