which GPA matters more? w/o or w/ +/-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crashblades

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got verified and super excited. So now I am left wondering which GPA matters more?
When schools post their average GPA, is it the +/- version or the "without +/-" version

Members don't see this ad.

Just got verified and super excited. So now I am left wondering which GPA matters more?
When schools post their average GPA, is it the +/- version or the "without +/-" version

All schools can see both GPAs but I believe they're more concerned about the +/- version since that tells the truth tell of your academic career.

No idea what GPA schools post. Since they post average GPAs I would assume that the average isn't going to change much with the +/- version compared to the "without +/- version".

Members don't see this ad :)
for me, my w/o +/- is higher than my with +/- by .03! (That's a lot :laugh:)

My school didn't have +/-. If your school has +/-, does that mean an A+ is essentially worth a 4.3? If so, then I hope they do use the +/- scale when posting GPAs, because that means what they are showing isn't on a 4.0 scale, but a 4.3 scale. So if I have a 3.7 at my school, and they post an average of a 3.7, a 3.7/4.0 is much better than a 3.7/4.3 right? Or am I simply looking at this like a glass half-full?

My school didn't have +/-. If your school has +/-, does that mean an A+ is essentially worth a 4.3? If so, then I hope they do use the +/- scale when posting GPAs, because that means what they are showing isn't on a 4.0 scale, but a 4.3 scale. So if I have a 3.7 at my school, and they post an average of a 3.7, a 3.7/4.0 is much better than a 3.7/4.3 right? Or am I simply looking at this like a glass half-full?
Not all schools that use +/- have A+ as a grade (my school is an example of this). The only school that I know of that uses A+ as a grade, which would be 4.3, is Iowa. The w/o +/- allows everyone to be on a more even scale since some schools don't have them, whereas other schools have A+. I would say that 3.7/4.3 doesn't look as good as a 3.7/4.0, but they will also look at the university itself, easy state school vs. hard private school... Some schools may weigh certain factors of GPA (upward trend, difficult science courses, etc.) more important than others since many come into play, which is why we take the DAT.