Who are some OP (overpowered) psychologists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
and dude hasnt been licensed in YEARS

True. However, a lot of psychology in the media is by folks that are not licensed (or psychologists). Pinker is not, Daniel Gilbert is not. Hell, Malcolm Gladwell is not even a psychologist and APA made him a keynote speaker at the Annual conference in 2008.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Aw, I haven't thought about Ekman in a minute. I'll have to see where his emotion and MicroExpression research ended up going.

Sorry! She is a/s tier - I was being sarcastic... poorly.
Brothers is also dead which takes her out of the running.
Aw, I haven't thought about Ekman in a minute. I'll have to see where his emotion and MicroExpression research ended up going.
He first sold his training through Gottman's website Then he entered into an agreement with the DoD, CIA, etc. Then he entered into a collab company with DARPA, who automated his system to check facial expressions via cameras. An equivalent company chaired by Ekman licensed the software to such agencies as the TSA. Presumably, he used his Fox Network money from Lie to Me to found this company, although he may have some seed money from other sources.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Carol Tavris, Elizabeth Loftus, Scott Lilienfeld (RIP), and Steve Lynn are all S-tier in my book; Meehl was an S-tier (his schizogene model was ultimately incorrect but he gets the benefit of having had much less genetic and neuroimaging data to work with, and for pioneering biopsychosocial approaches to severe mental illness--oh, and for championing actuarial judgment over clinical opinion).

Richard McNally is a solid A-tier.

Steve Hupp is a rising star in the combatting pseudoscience sphere (high A-tier).

Eric Turkheimer is lesser known in popular circles but is a pretty high ranking personality clinical psychologist (A-tier).

I would give Kahneman a high B- or low A-tier. Clearly a great scientist but ironically some of the work cited in his popular book has had problems with replication.

I can name several rockstars within the psychosis/prodrome realm, but that would dip too deeply into reliance upon knowing who's who in my own sphere, which I feel is outside the spirit of the question.

Peterson is F-tier for obvious reasons, but even before he gained notoriety his work had a weird Jungian spin, and that makes it difficult for me to take his pre-culture-warrior era of work seriously.

Oh and the folks who made up/popularized IFS (Schwartz and Schwartz) are F-tier.

Bem is F-tier for continuing to be weird and push the wacky idea that controlled studies aren't important for some reason (probably because good methods don't support his "psi phenomenon" findings).

Finally, anyone who still believes in repressed and recovered memories is F-tier just because it's 2024 and that's ridiculous (and I can't put Loftus in S and not put the whole movement she crushed in F).

Last edited:
Steve Hupp is a rising star in the combatting pseudoscience sphere (high A-tier).
He is totally a cool person! When I was getting my master's in clinical psych, he taught my child development class. LOVED HIM.

The issue with the tiers is that they are highly specific to your niche. For example, there are some people who have been placed into high tiers by some, for which no one else has heard of. Even in neuropsych, I imagine that 80+% of the people we'd put in an A and above tier, would be unknowns to most outside of neuropsych.

Reactions: 2 users
I for one wish that someone like Linehan had more public recognition than someone like Jordan Peterson. It’s not that I even have that strong feelings about him but he seems more reknowned for political reasons than as a psychologist although he does use some of his knowledge and title to bolster his points. I also worry when thinking about the field about where our good research is coming from, also what about Barkley? He didn’t seem to make any of the lists or did I just miss it.

edit That’s funny he was the first one on the list. lol. Maybe I should pay attention. ;)

The issue with the tiers is that they are highly specific to your niche. For example, there are some people who have been placed into high tiers by some, for which no one else has heard of. Even in neuropsych, I imagine that 80+% of the people we'd put in an A and above tier, would be unknowns to most outside of neuropsych.
Agreed. I tried to limit my tier placements to folks outside my niche, but even so it is easy for such lists to become slanted toward name recognition rather than actual scientific contributions.

Last edited:
Agreed. I tried to limit my tier placements to folks outside my niche, but even so it is easy for such lists to become slanted toward name recognition than actual scientific contributions

Well, I'd argue that scientific contribution is also relative. For example, Larrabee is huge for us in neuropsych, and very prolific and cited, but most of you have no idea who he is.

I like the niche stuff because I have people to look up and learn about later.

I feel like David Tolin is another person who has managed to get people thinking about psychology in the wider discourse. He has also managed to avoid having a "Criticisms/Controversies" section on Wikipedia.

Well, I'd argue that scientific contribution is also relative. For example, Larrabee is huge for us in neuropsych, and very prolific and cited, but most of you have no idea who he is.
I was thinking that about Paul Green too. His impact on the forensic world was huge. He was also a really nice guy and very accessible. I had some beers with him years ago when I was still in training. I’d add Grant Iverson too, but again… a “niche” neuropsych is person who greatly impacted the forensic world.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m now getting JP ticket sales ads on my social media and I blame all of you for making me say “ugh Jordan Peterson” out loud while looking at this thread.

• Haha
Living members on my Mount Rushmore of neuropsychologists would be Bigler and Loring.

Living members on my Mount Rushmore of neuropsychologists would be Bigler and Loring.

Bigler wouldn't be on mine. A good deal of his data is garbage because he doesn't really evaluate performance/symptom validity in populations with high rates of feigning/invalidity. I've also seen him call TOMM scores in the 30 "near misses" as well as describing horrible looking imaging as an "uncomplicated mild TBI." I'd love to see how much money he might be making from plaintiff attorneys.

Last edited:
I can name several rockstars within the psychosis/prodrome realm, but that would dip too deeply into reliance upon knowing who's who in my own sphere, which I feel is outside the spirit of the question.
Curious who you would say for this group, as I do a bit of work in this area!

My area is suicide research, so there are two big names that jump out to me as A+ tier psychologists:

- Thomas Joiner -- one of the big names in suicide research, made excellent strides towards coming up with screening tools, runs a *very* productive lab that nobody has a bad thing to say about.

- Craig Bryan -- another big name in suicide research, especially as it applies to military populations. There's a saying in suicide research: "If you think of a manuscript idea, Craig Bryan's probably already written it." Really good stuff coming from his lab.

Honorable mention would be Matthew Nock -- he's probably going to be the one to come up with a new DSM code for suicidal crises, really interesting research from him as well.

I’m surprised the list has gone this far without Edna Foa being mentioned!

For the specific area of forensic psychology I would also submit Gary Melton, with Randy Otto and Patricia Zapf as relatively big names in the field.

Reactions: 4 users
My area is suicide research, so there are two big names that jump out to me as A+ tier psychologists:

- Thomas Joiner -- one of the big names in suicide research, made excellent strides towards coming up with screening tools, runs a *very* productive lab that nobody has a bad thing to say about.

- Craig Bryan -- another big name in suicide research, especially as it applies to military populations. There's a saying in suicide research: "If you think of a manuscript idea, Craig Bryan's probably already written it." Really good stuff coming from his lab.

Honorable mention would be Matthew Nock -- he's probably going to be the one to come up with a new DSM code for suicidal crises, really interesting research from him as well.

Great list! I would also add an honorable mention David Klonsky under the honorable mention section for the 3-Step Theory and the introduction/popularization of Acquired Capability to the vernacular.

Personally, I don't like him. He seems extraordinarily competent in some narrow areas of personality psychology. Everything else is either him reading a book and reiterating its talking points or him making weird religious/jungian statements as if they are facts.

However, he has drastically raised the profile of the field. There haven't been too many psychologists in the media as regularly as him.
He's one of those guys who doesn't know (or least doesn't care) about bounds of competency or expertise. He was on some podcast with another talking head telling climate scientists their climate modeling was incorrect. He also in recent years claimed that people shouldn't use preferred pronouns because he doesn't like using them.

He's like the Trump of psychology. Claims to know a lot of things, many things, and an expert, the best expert on things he has no clue about. Then tells those who actually are the experts that they are wrong or misguided.

How about that recent interview where he distanced himself from Andrew Tate because of the horrific accusations that came out against Tate, while Peterson spent years shilling toxic masculinity and was "surprised" that his own nonsense rhetoric over the years was favored by Tate followers.

He's one of those guys who doesn't know (or least doesn't care) about bounds of competency or expertise. He was on some podcast with another talking head telling climate scientists their climate modeling was incorrect. He also in recent years claimed that people shouldn't use preferred pronouns because he doesn't like using them.

He's like the Trump of psychology. Claims to know a lot of things, many things, and an expert, the best expert on things he has no clue about. Then tells those who actually are the experts that they are wrong or misguided.

How about that recent interview where he distanced himself from Andrew Tate because of the horrific accusations that came out against Tate, while Peterson spent years shilling toxic masculinity and was "surprised" that his own nonsense rhetoric over the years was favored by Tate followers.
He also did a weird interview where he claimed more gender egalitarian societies show greater inter-gender disparities in job choice and Five Factor measurements (using Sweden as his example) while make odd statements about multivariate analysis. I can’t remember the entire context of the conversation but it was wild and showed some spurious reasoning even within an area with which he ought to be competent. Benefit of the doubt since he was on live TV and that’s probably hard to do, but no such benefits for all his other shenanigans.

I mean he's Canadian. Are we really counting Canadians now?
it’s a sad day in our profession when we consider Peterson as a charlatan considering his massive amounts of publications and work. Just sad

He also did a weird interview where he claimed more gender egalitarian societies show greater inter-gender disparities in job choice and Five Factor measurements (using Sweden as his example) while make odd statements about multivariate analysis. I can’t remember the entire context of the conversation but it was wild and showed some spurious reasoning even within an area with which he ought to be competent. Benefit of the doubt since he was on live TV and that’s probably hard to do, but no such benefits for all his other shenanigans.
This is hysterical.

it’s a sad day in our profession when we consider Peterson as a charlatan considering his massive amounts of publications and work. Just sad
Not to speak to Peterson specifically, but there are multiple psychologists who, especially later in their careers, I lost a lot of respect for based on their more recent comments, presentations, work product, etc., despite being relative giants in terms of prior contributions to the field and/or publishing more in a year than I have in my career.

Reactions: 3 users

You’re
Not to speak to Peterson specifically, but there are multiple psychologists who, especially later in their careers, I lost a lot of respect for based on their more recent comments, presentations, work product, etc., despite being relative giants in terms of prior contributions to the field and/or publishing more in a year than I have in my career.
thats fair, however, Peterson hasn’t done much that would warrant such ire. 99% of what he talks about is backed up and most of it is common sense

• Haha
99% of what he talks about is backed up
Hardly. Let's check out some highlights of a very long and frighteningly strange résumé of wrong/bat**** things he's said.
Dude is an ultracrepidarian par excellence.

This is someone we aren't supposed to denounce as clownish?

and most of it is common sense

Last edited:
Yeah, Peterson is 100% entrenched in the quack/demagogue category, it's not even close. He strayed from any empirically based thinking a long time ago. I still give him credit for taking advantage of the pseudo intellectual niche that incels love and using it to make money, but he left any sort of respectability in the academic psych community behind a long time ago.

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah, Peterson is 100% entrenched in the quack/demagogue category, it's not even close. He strayed from any empirically based thinking a long time ago. I still give him credit for taking advantage of the pseudo intellectual niche that incels love and using it to make money, but he left any sort of respectability in the academic psych community behind a long time ago.
I think getting bit by the rabid left makes people wonky in the other direction. I think it's a legit psychological phenomena. Perhaps it's analogous to invalidation in childhood leading to axis 2 symptomatology. So I am a bit sympathetic.

I think getting bit by the rabid left makes people wonky.

JP was spouting absurdist nonsense prior to becoming a really big public figure. I think he's purely responsible for his own behavior without blaming it on a political party. Also, he saw a cash cow, and he decided to just go for it.

JP was spouting absurdist nonsense prior to becoming a really big public figure. I think he's purely responsible for his own behavior without blaming it on a political party. Also, he saw a cash cow, and he decided to just go for it.
I think it's the persecution trap - and I mean the dude was treated really badly by the left.

I think it's the persecution trap - and I mean the dude was treated really badly by the left.
Oh, please. Dude deserved every bit of the flack he caught.

"B-b-but mommy, those nasty leftist bullies called me out for spouting inaccurate, bigoted BS and it hurt my fee-fees, so it isn't my fawlt that I became a spokesperson for right-wing cash cows! I was only stating my opinions!"

Not to be rude, but I just think that's a ridiculous excuse for acting like misogynistic, ultracrepidarian, conspiracy-minded hack.

Last edited:
Oh, please. Dude deserved every bit of the flack he caught.

"B-b-but mommy, those nasty leftist bullies called me out for spouting inaccurate, bigoted BS and it hurt my fee-fees, so it isn't my fawlt that I became a spokesperson for right-wing cash cows! I was only stating my opinions!"

Not to be rude, but I just think that's a ridiculous excuse for acting like misogynistic, ultracrepidarian, conspiracy-minded hack.
Your sadism is showing and you're absolutely being rude.

To be clear, I am talking about the process of what happened - not the content.

Peterson first caught flack in 2016 for a series of youtube videos that criticised the C-16 bill. This is the event that catapulted him into the zeitgeist.

What followed was intense scrutiny of Jordan Peterson, complaints being made to his employer, shout downs, threats against his safety, scrutiny of family, detistible comments about himself and his wife and children, etc. Intense attempt to cancel and publicly shame him for stating an opinion.

Did the response, in 2016, match the crime? Personally, I don't think so.

What came after 2016, is in my opinion, a response to the complete out of proportion dog pile that went on for a fairly reasonable position on that issue.

But why does he trigger you so? I like never think about the guy.

Or…and hear me out…JP saw a way to cash in promoting trash science and hot takes to the Incels and Toxic Masculinity Bros. His pseudo-intellectualism was the perfect Trojan horse to usher in more trash science and to raise his visibility. JP is not a dumb person, just greedy and opportunistic.

Genuinely not trying to be rude, I just don't think "he was picked on by 'the left'" is a particularly compelling counter to him being such a ****wad. And the hypothetical dialogue is me imagining him espousing that point of view, not necessarily what I think you are trying to say.

Peterson first caught flack in 2016 for a series of youtube videos that criticised the C-16 bill. This is the event that catapulted him into the zeitgeist.
Peterson was lying about the effects of Bill C-16 even after multiple legal experts corrected his incorrect interpretation of the proposed statute, simply because of the people group it aimed to protect (trans individuals). Had he simply opined and then updated his claims based on the response from legal experts, he probably would have gotten by just fine, seeing as controversy only arose well after those lectures took place and after he received requests to amend his statements but chose not to do so.

What followed was intense scrutiny of Jordan Peterson, complaints being made to his employer, shout downs, threats against his safety, scrutiny of family, detistible comments about himself and his wife and children, etc. Intense attempt to cancel and publicly shame him for stating an opinion.

Did the response, in 2016, match the crime? Personally, I don't think so.
This was a response mostly from college students, who are far from representative of "the left." There were plenty of protests, some of which did include violence (which is not acceptable), but Peterson had multiple opportunities to educate himself on the legal issue at hand rather than bite down on the chain and break his teeth. Death threats are never acceptable, and I do not condone them--he did, however, deserve to get academic and political flack for his demonstrably false and bigoted comments, and I think it seems unreasonable to equate random threats from people with an entire side of the political spectrum. But as it stands, he was allowed to keep his teaching position (which seems to disprove his very thesis), only leaving voluntarily a few years later. I take no pleasure in people being threatened, so allow me clarify that he deserved all of the flack he caught as regards academic and political-legal critiques of his views, but not to the point of any bad actors threatening him or anyone else.

What came after 2016, is in my opinion, a response to the complete out of proportion dog pile that went on for a fairly reasonable position on that issue.
His position on Bill C-16 was demonstrably not reasonable, and only led to major controversy after repeated instances of spouting the same nonsense even after being corrected. Again, I also don't see how him being in the midst of C-16 controversy should reasonably put the blame for his subsequent behaviors on his critics. If his views as a middle-aged, doctorally-trained academic were so fragile that he became an unabashed conspiracy theorist and junk scientist in the wake of some criticism, then maybe those more radical ideas were already there to begin with, or at the very least he was very open to them from the beginning.

But why does he trigger you so? I like never think about the guy.
Not triggered, I just find it a little disingenuous to blame "the left" for radicalizing someone who was wrong to begin with (whether or not the totality of the critical response was justified), and who has misused "psychology" as a way to cash in on his distasteful views.

Last edited:
Genuinely not trying to be rude, I just don't think "he was picked on by 'the left'" is a particularly compelling counter to him being such a ****wad. And the hypothetical dialogue is me imagining him espousing that point of view, not necessarily what I think you are trying to say.

Peterson was lying about the effects of Bill C-16 even after multiple legal experts corrected his incorrect interpretation of the proposed statute, simply because of the people group it aimed to protect (trans individuals). Had he simply opined and then updated his claims based on the response from legal experts, he probably would have gotten by just fine, seeing as controversy only arose well after those lectures took place and after he received requests to amend his statements but chose not to do so.

This was a response mostly from college students, who are far from representative of "the left." There were plenty of protests, some of which did include violence (which is not acceptable), but Peterson had multiple opportunities to educate himself on the legal issue at hand rather than bite down on the chain and break his teeth. Death threats are never acceptable, and I do not condone them--he did, however, deserve to get academic and political flack for his demonstrably false and bigoted comments, and I think it seems unreasonable to equate random threats from people with an entire side of the political spectrum. But as it stands, he was allowed to keep his teaching position (which seems to disprove his very thesis), only leaving voluntarily a few years later. I take no pleasure in people being threatened, so allow me clarify that he deserved all of the flack he caught as regards academic and political-legal critiques of his views, but not to the point of any bad actors threatening him or anyone else.

His position on Bill C-16 was demonstrably not reasonable, and only led to major controversy after repeated instances of spouting the same nonsense even after being corrected. Again, I also don't see how him being in the midst of C-16 controversy should reasonably put the blame for his subsequent behaviors on his critics. If his views as a middle-aged, doctorally-trained academic were so fragile that became an unabashed conspiracy theories and junk scientist the wake of some criticism, then maybe those more radical ideas were already there to begin with, or at the very least he was very open to them from the beginning.

Not triggered, just find it a little disingenuous to blame "the left" for radicalizing someone who was wrong to begin with (whether or not the totality of the critical response was justified), and who has misused "psychology" as a way to cash in on his distasteful views.
Again, not discussing the content...
Or…and hear me out…JP saw a way to cash in promoting trash science and hot takes to the Incels and Toxic Masculinity Bros. His pseudo-intellectualism was the perfect Trojan horse to usher in more trash science and to raise his visibility. JP is not a dumb person, just greedy and opportunistic.
Sigh. I wish we could have discussions about this stuff without committing using distorted labels.

I think both you have created a very simple to understand narrative. It's neat and tidy and supports your worldview, that's for sure.

Sigh. I wish we could have discussions about this stuff without committing using distorted labels.

I think both you have created a very simple to understand narrative. It's neat and tidy and supports your worldview, that's for sure.

This really all that distorted in the Peterson sphere. He's simply not a serious person and is exploiting a niche. If you want to discuss someone who is a serious person with some moderate views that rankle the wings, you have to look at someone like McWhorter.

I guess we just disagree. I don’t think Peterson is complex or serious enough a scholar to warrant deep analysis. No disrespect to you, we just disagree.

Freud seemed pretty OP when he got his cocaine stat boost. Some say the Jones-Miller Act of 1922 was specifically patched in to nerf him

• Haha
Freud seemed pretty OP when he got his cocaine stat boost. Some say the Jones-Miller Act of 1922 was specifically patched in to nerf him
I get the vibe that this forum is salty because Peterson camps leftists and efficiently farms tokens by enlisting incels. However did his attempted speedrun of benzodiazepine withdrawal nerf his self restraint/monitor competency stat? But is he real or alt for tokens.

Officially bored of Peterson. Can we filter him now?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Who self owned hardest?

Who are the living psychologists with the most tokens?

Coming from the school psychology meta - some of school psychs who developed power school or other popular measures have to be up there. Like I had heard that there’s a school psych who gets a buck royalty for every kid enrolled in power school. Sam Goldstein, even tho cringe, has got to have a ton of money. I heard a former post doc was tying their shoe and he walks by and taps his watch and says “billable hours.”

• Haha
I asked chat gpt via bing to format this:

“The 100 Most Eminent Psychologists of the 20th Century” published by Haggbloom et al. in 20021. Based on this study, which used six criteria to measure the eminence of psychologists, such as citations, awards, and textbooks, here is a sample tier list of psychologists:

S Tier: B. F. Skinner, Jean Piaget, Sigmund Freud, Albert Bandura, Leon Festinger, Carl Rogers, Stanley Schachter, Neal E. Miller, Edward Thorndike, Abraham Maslow, Gordon Allport, Erik Erikson, Hans Eysenck, William James, David McClelland, Raymond Cattell, John B. Watson, Kurt Lewin, Donald O. Hebb, George A. Miller

A Tier: Jerome Bruner, Noam Chomsky, Harry Harlow, Roger Sperry, Robert Zajonc, Endel Tulving, Leon Kamin, Solomon Asch, D. E. Broadbent, Herbert Simon, Michael Posner, Edward E. Smith, Anne Treisman, Ulric Neisser, Elizabeth Loftus, Howard Gardner, Martin Seligman, James McGaugh, Larry Squire, Brenda Milner

B Tier: Walter Mischel, Donald Norman, Roger Shepard, Robert Sternberg, Amos Tversky, Daniel Kahneman, Richard Lazarus, Paul Ekman, Robert Rosenthal, Edward Deci, Richard Ryan, Albert Ellis, Aaron Beck, Hans J. Eysenck, Rollo May, Carl Jung, Alfred Adler, Karen Horney, Anna Freud, Melanie Klein

C Tier: Clark Hull, Ivan Pavlov, Edward Tolman, Wolfgang Köhler, Max Wertheimer, Kurt Koffka, Hermann Ebbinghaus, Alfred Binet, Charles Spearman, Lewis Terman, David Wechsler, Arthur Jensen, Robert Yerkes, John Dewey, Maria Montessori, Lev Vygotsky, Lawrence Kohlberg, Carol Gilligan, Eleanor Maccoby, Sandra Bem

D Tier: Kenneth Spence, Neal E. Miller, Robert Rescorla, Edward C. Tolman, John Garcia, Richard Solomon, Robert Bolles, Martin Seligman, Steven Maier, Robert Ader, Nicholas Spanos, Ernest Hilgard, Theodore Barber, Martin Orne, Stanley Milgram, Philip Zimbardo, Robert Rosenthal, Irving Janis, Muzafer Sherif, Morton Deutsch

E Tier: Charles Osgood, George Kelly, Julian Rotter, Walter Mischel, Albert Bandura, Fritz Heider, Harold Kelley, John Thibaut, Eliot Aronson, Robert Cialdini, Richard Nisbett, Lee Ross, Anthony Greenwald, Timothy Wilson, Richard Petty, John Cacioppo, Icek Ajzen, Martin Fishbein, Shelley Taylor, Susan Fiske

F Tier: James Olds, Richard Davidson, Joseph LeDoux, Antonio Damasio, Jaak Panksepp, Kent Berridge, Terry Robinson, Kent Berridge, Robert Sapolsky, Candace Pert, Paul MacLean, Michael Gazzaniga, Roger Sperry, Jerre Levy, Marian Diamond, Elizabeth Gould, Bruce McEwen, Robert Sapolsky, Joseph LeDoux, Antonio Damasio

Note that this tier list is based on one study and may not reflect the current or consensus views of the field of psychology. There may be other factors that affect the ranking of psychologists, such as their impact on society, culture, or policy, their contributions to specific subfields or domains, or their popularity among the general public or students. Therefore, this tier list should not be taken as a definitive or authoritative source, but rather as a starting point for further exploration and discussion.

What do you all think about Cattell? Pretty huge impact on IQ testing and how intelligence in conceptualized.

Sorry for my manic posting this am. But it’s a rare rainy day and I only jogged two miles with the pooches.

Anyway, this discussion helped me to remember the Monster Study - where they took a bunch orphans did negative speech therapy to induce a stutter.

My dad has studied a ton in the speech fluency sphere and is a phd level speech path and started a highly ranked program at a uni (so is my mom but she worked with littles).

But it’s kind of hard to describe the torment that stutterers go through growing up.

But also, the psychologist Wendell Johnson also helped a ton of people. Good and bad in one container.

Edit: my dad says the study wasn’t worth it. But Johnson’s theory of stuttering continues to viable.

Last edited: