Who Else Feels Great

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Absolutely....if they're children. Otherwise, the truly ignorant will get what's coming to them. I completely understand your need to correct perceived injustices. That mindset is a big part of why we're all training to be doctors. However, the PC movement is literally just as dangerous as the path of hate/ignorance.

I have to go study now; med school exams seem to require lots of that.

You seem to be dismissing the initial complaint as just part of the "PC movement." Is this correct? Do you believe the person was not actually offended?

Members don't see this ad.

You seem to be dismissing the initial complaint as just part of the "PC movement." Is this correct? Do you believe the person was not actually offended?

I don't know whether anyone was genuinely offended or not. To boot, I honestly don't care. Get offended at stuff that matters. Get offended that cancer is still killing people. Get offended that there are true injustices in the world. Get offended that there are little kids going to bed with empty tummies tonight.

But getting offended that someone called something "gay?" Please. This is exactly what's wrong with the PC movement.

How did the 'feeling great' thread become this battle.

As for the topic that hijacked this thread. My two cents is that the person who was offended may have a reason to be offended ... perhaps they are gay or someone they care for is gay. And... so they are not just being a 'PC nanny'...

That said, I think that the 'PC' person could have let folks know how they felt in a more playful way, as I'm sure the original 'offender' who posted the comment meant no harm and did not mean to hurt anyone. So, when the 'PC' person responded it somewhat backed the original poster in a corner.

As a teenager, I used to say... that person 'jewed me down'. Or he 'gypped me'. I had NO idea that both terms had origins as racial slurs against Jewish and Gypsy folks until someone KINDLY told me. I am thankful to that person for letting me know the root of my language offense without lecturing or making me feel like I was a bad person.

Members don't see this ad :)
How did the 'feeling great' thread become this battle.

Apologies for adding to the derailment of the thread. I'm fine with people not agreeing with me.

Here's my "feels great" addition - I LOVE med school and am super happy to be in (especially since it's getting seemingly exponentially more difficult each application cycle).

To balance Q's bump of the "who else feels crappy" thread, I'm bringing this thread back. First quarter of med school's over, I'm on a two-week break, and so far, P=MD. :woot:

I've got one more semester of grad school down, did well, still loving my program, I'm off of class til Jan 17th, get to go home and see the family just after Christmas for a whole week, and have some challenging but interesting classes in store for next semester !! :)

Merry Christmas!
MS - 7months!!!!!! :biglove:

Bump!

Just scored an awesome shadowing gig, plus research, plus it's super flexible hours. Really psyched right now

Maubs did you pop the question?

Members don't see this ad :)
I started to feel this way after I saw that my sGPA jumped from a 2.65 to a 3.22 after only 30 credits. Even if I don't get in this cycle, I can spend the next year doing grade replacement to bump my GPA near (possibly above) a 3.5. Combined with my 33Q I'm positive I'll get into a DO school in time to be Class of 2018 (hopefully Class of 2017 though!)

Edit:

Bump!

Just scored an awesome shadowing gig, plus research, plus it's super flexible hours. Really psyched right now

Maubs did you pop the question?

Me too! 2-3 days observing surgeries (with a DO) and it looks like I'll be able to shadow a Sports Medicine DO after that. Beyond excited as I am interested in ortho and the special attention DO schools pay to musculoskeletal is something I'm very interested in.

I feel good about it, I've got my house on the market so I can move to Texas and my classes have gone well so far. I'm so excited about the day I get to go to med school and stop working for the first time in ten years. The thought of being able to devote myself to a passion gets me through the bad days.

I finished my first year of medical school just three weeks ago! I even passed my anatomy remediation exams! All year, having to remediate anatomy cast a pall over my existence. I had many a sleepless night fearing that over one course, anatomy, I would have to repeat first year. The anatomy exams came, they went, I passed, yippee!

:D :banana: :woot: :soexcited:

I finished my first year of medical school just three weeks ago! I even passed my anatomy remediation exams! All year, having to remediate anatomy cast a pall over my existence. I had many a sleepless night fearing that over one course, anatomy, I would have to repeat first year. The anatomy exams came, they went, I passed, yippee!

:D :banana: :woot: :soexcited:

:thumbup: AWESOME!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using SDN Mobile

I had the real-estate agent come look at my house, talked about what I can do to make it more marketable. I wouldn't say I'm ecstatic about it, but I was glad that it isn't a ton to do. Little apprehensive though too.

Haha, most of schools we do seem to require most of our studying and focus than most anything else.

Um, best thread EVER.

Feeling blessed about:
--Falling back in love with medicine and discovering we're meant to be, even though we broke up for a while
--Wearing a backpack again, and having the weight of textbooks in them
--The beauty of a chemistry laboratory
--The support of my angelic parents in pursuing my dream, even though I'm back in their house after graduating college. : )
--My mom who makes the most amazing coffee and breakfast for me everyday
--Taking notes with different colored pens (I get excited about little things)
--Challenging myself with things that I thought were hard (too hard) for me
--My wonderful, loving cat

Feeling blessed about:
--Wearing a backpack again, and having the weight of textbooks in them
--Taking notes with different colored pens (I get excited about little things)
--Challenging myself with things that I thought were hard (too hard) for me

I've found these three blessings in med school, also!

--The backpack felt weird at first, it had been so many years since I had used one. Also, med school books are heavy! But I feel young and strong hefting that 50 pound, bulging backpack!

--I never used highlighters in undergrad. When I got to med school I discovered the joys of being a highlighter connoisseur (or hoarder, depending on how you look at it).

--Med school is challenging, yep, and I am proud of how far I have come this year!

I've found these three blessings in med school, also!

--The backpack felt weird at first, it had been so many years since I had used one. Also, med school books are heavy! But I feel young and strong hefting that 50 pound, bulging backpack!

--I never used highlighters in undergrad. When I got to med school I discovered the joys of being a highlighter connoisseur (or hoarder, depending on how you look at it).

--Med school is challenging, yep, and I am proud of how far I have come this year!

You go, Helen Wheels! "It's never too late to become who you wanted to be."

Alternating between feeling great about being accepted to abject terror at what I just got myself into.

I'm feeling good about everything falling into place so far. I made the no looking back decision in May to apply to medical school in for the class of 2019, and so far:

-got my clinical volunteering position for four hours per week
-trained as a volunteer doula and should be able to attend at least one birth per month
-start shadowing an MD on Monday
-accepted at my local state school to start taking post-bacc classes
-being considered for a leadership position as a coordinator for the volunteer doula program
-found out I might get a promotion at work that would allow me to get paid more and set my own schedule (very important for going back to school)

I'm seriously in awe of how easy everything has been so far.

Had my yearly review for my first year in my new lab position. It involves remarks from the supervisor, asst. supervisor, and my colleagues. I was a bit worried, nothing specific, you just never know what people will come up with. I got great feedback and lots of compliments on my work ethic, dedication to patients, problem solving skills, and ability calmly handle tough situations like major computer outage issues and instrument issues while diagnostic testing on hundreds of patient specimens.

(I think what the day shift people took as calmness and control when they walked in after some of these outages was more accurately utter relief at their arrival but we don't need to point that out lol :p )

So yeah, felt good about that.

About 10 minutes ago I decided I wasn't submitting a secondary to TUCOM-NY. Then 5 seconds later I found out their secondary fee is $200. Knowing that I'm saving $200 made me a little happier.

Woohoo! My third science LOR was received by AMCAS today. Sent him a thank you and a reminder to submit to interfolio too!

The DO I shadowed is mailing hers (snail mail) tomorrow (hopefully) and once that gets there all I have to do is talk to my employer and see where she's at on hers.

Waiting for LORs is extremely stressful.

Today was my last day of work. I am now officially unemployed and have no external obligations until orientation starts the last Monday of July!

Same. Except I don't start until later in August. My plan for Monday? Sleep in for the first time in a long time.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Today was my last day of work. I am now officially unemployed and have no external obligations until orientation starts the last Monday of July!

I can't wait until this day comes for me. It might be more exciting than the day I get my first acceptance letter!

LOL, unless you absolutely hate your job, the acceptance letter will probably be more exciting :D

I hate my job :)

Not saying I won't be super excited with an acceptance though :D

I feel absolutely amazing right now. I got to read a LOR that I contacted a teacher about last week. I only asked her for it because one of my other LOR writers was being flaky. I don't know about the other ones, since they didn't send me a copy to read, but I can't imagine they are any better than this one. I literally teared up while reading it.

I had no idea I made such a great impression on her. It's like someone paid her off to write this thing.

If I matriculate this year, this professor's LOR is absolutely one of the reasons why. Wow. I feel AMAZING.

Congrats!

I just had my first ER shift as a volunteer. Was cleaning up a room and setting up the monitors because the other pre-meds didn't want to "do the boring stuff that the staff will take care of anyways" when the largest team of doctors and nurses I've ever seen rushed into the wing, shouting directions to remove the patient from the adjoining room to make way for a trauma patient. "Um, this room is prepped and free?" The team immediately diverted to the room I was in and pushed in a patient who was spurting blood FROM THE NECK.

Yes, I'm a lowly volunteer and didn't do anything but clean and prep the monitors, but the patient survived and man I feel like I helped! The little things in life, right? :D

I feel absolutely amazing right now. I got to read a LOR that I contacted a teacher about last week. I only asked her for it because one of my other LOR writers was being flaky. I don't know about the other ones, since they didn't send me a copy to read, but I can't imagine they are any better than this one. I literally teared up while reading it.

I had no idea I made such a great impression on her. It's like someone paid her off to write this thing.

If I matriculate this year, this professor's LOR is absolutely one of the reasons why. Wow. I feel AMAZING.

That is awesome :D I felt this way about one of my LORs as well. It is a fantastic feeling :)

Congrats!

I just had my first ER shift as a volunteer. Was cleaning up a room and setting up the monitors because the other pre-meds didn't want to "do the boring stuff that the staff will take care of anyways" when the largest team of doctors and nurses I've ever seen rushed into the wing, shouting directions to remove the patient from the adjoining room to make way for a trauma patient. "Um, this room is prepped and free?" The team immediately diverted to the room I was in and pushed in a patient who was spurting blood FROM THE NECK.

Yes, I'm a lowly volunteer and didn't do anything but clean and prep the monitors, but the patient survived and man I feel like I helped! The little things in life, right? :D

Awesome!

I am feeling great about the progress I am making. Just need to keep up the good work.

I submitted my AMCAS two days ago and even though I know it will take forever to get it verified based on the rate at which they're going, I am very happy to be so completely at peace about this whole process. Reading the verification thread where people are frazzled and upset just makes me smile (yes, I'm a horrible person).

It took me a day or so to get to this place (see Who Else Feels Crappy? thread), but I am so grateful to be older than the regular pre-meds and have the perspective to realize that there is no reason to worry about the verification process when it's completely out of my hands.

I'm having a zen moment over here and it feels great!

Last edited:
Last LOR came in to AMCAS just now! I hope she submits it to interfolio today too!!

Edit: All LORs in for MD and DO!

Last edited:
Murdered my first two A&P exams! Also kicked off mcat studying by killing the first chapters of BR physics and gen chem!

Good luck to applicants this summer!

Murdered my first two A&P exams! Also kicked off mcat studying by killing the first chapters of BR physics and gen chem!

Good luck to applicants this summer!

Nice work. A&P is an awesome class!

I'm feeling great. I thought I aced my ochem test. I didnt due to a silly mistake I made got a B. I am happy though if I am more careful a solid A is within reach. This is coming from someone that is 10 years since I have taken a science course. I was still way above the class average. Makes me feel like everything is going to work out. Keep pushing.

Got a couch and a nice area rug for the living room in our new apartment. Move in complete!

Did you know that a greater omentum will make greater momentum?

:laugh:

So ignoring all of the fluff that does not pertain to the intention of this thread, I just want to say that I'm really grateful for the positive attitudes and for my recent realization that the past cannot be undone - that it is far more productive to keep trudging on and find new ways to make my app attractive than obsess about how much a low GPA will hurt me. What is more important to me is what Iearned from that experience and how I will absolutely not have a repeat when I finally get accepted to medical school and kick my "traditional" peers' arses!

So ignoring all of the fluff that does not pertain to the intention of this thread, I just want to say that I'm really grateful for the positive attitudes and for my recent realization that the past cannot be undone - that it is far more productive to keep trudging on and find new ways to make my app attractive than obsess about how much a low GPA will hurt me. What is more important to me is what Iearned from that experience and how I will absolutely not have a repeat when I finally get accepted to medical school and kick my "traditional" peers' arses!

Again, nice reply TwistinD.

Um, I was feeling great but exhausted after our awesome vaca to Italy; but now I am on a bit of a down slope b/c of all the school work. My profs have been awesome though. . . just hurts a bit putting my nose back to the grindstone.

I feel ok. Being a reaaplicant sucks. Working on my apps and getting them in on time feels good. So technically this should be posted in the "Who Else Feels Somewhat Better Than Neutral?" thread. It was good to see another 40something around. We are few and far between.

Let's see...
...good postbac grades hopefully cancelled out terrible undergrad grades from 25 years ago
...good MCAT
...I did get 5/11 interviews though I applied really late
...my PS is soooooooo much better
...my attitude is sooooooo much better
...25 schools submitted on time this go round (that's the plan!)

OK, now I'm feeling almost great!

Still wish I had done more ECs this past year...
I hope my committee doesn't take ages to rewrite my letter. Just send in the same damn thing!

OK, now I'm back to just above neutral.