who matched where

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not to take it even further down the path of sidetracking this thread (though it feels like participation is dissipating), but would doing an audition, at OHSU, do more harm than it would good? Just shoring up VSAS and while I know auditions aren't necessary for psych matching, it seems like a good use of an elective as long as I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot.

As others have mentioned, aways aren't a critical part of your application, but I don't think it would do more harm than good. One thing that's become more present in our recruitment is that we seem to especially like people who know us and are interested in being here, which means people who would be happy training here and living here. With that in mind, I think people who do aways get a bit of a boost.

Members don't see this ad.

As others have mentioned, aways aren't a critical part of your application, but I don't think it would do more harm than good. One thing that's become more present in our recruitment is that we seem to especially like people who know us and are interested in being here, which means people who would be happy training here and living here. With that in mind, I think people who do aways get a bit of a boost.

Yeah. I agree with you and NDY. If I had to do it again I would've done an away at one of my top pre-application programs. At the time, the economics looked too much to justify it. But for a chance at establishing yourself in a city and program as a known, viable entity, I think it would be worth it.

I think I come off better in person though. So that's the thing you'd have to wager on. I bet most of us would be a fine bet presuming your intention is to to work hard and impress. But if you are an acquired taste or you tend to rub people the wrong way and you look great on paper you may want to avoid an away.

Not to take it even further down the path of sidetracking this thread (though it feels like participation is dissipating), but would doing an audition, at OHSU, do more harm than it would good? Just shoring up VSAS and while I know auditions aren't necessary for psych matching, it seems like a good use of an elective as long as I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot.

To quote a 2006 article by M.K. Bak on applying for psychiatry residencies (I relied on this when applying):

"A psychiatry externship at a program outside the student’s medical school affords a student more accurate information about a program, and vice versa. Doing so is not, however, necessary in order to match at such programs since it is well understood that it is inconvenient to do away electives."

Take this however you wish. I chose not to do a psychiatry sub-I at another institution because I was, honestly, too lazy (and cheap) to go through VSAS, and I matched just fine. Interestingly, when I was in your shoes, I asked a psych resident at my medical school whether I should do an away elective, and her answer was quite interesting: "I avoided doing away rotations for the sake of doing them because I didn't wan't other schools to look at my transcript and wonder why I chose one institution over another."

Again, take that however you wish as well. (I, frankly, thought that was a tad paranoid, but interesting nonetheless.) But I share this because everyone has their reason for doing (and not doing) away psych rotations. I suggest you do whatever you'd like/makes you comfortable because fourth year is sacred time, so make sure you spend it wisely.

(a link to the Bak article is here: http://download.springer.com/static...581_2ace3c325f44917720c2a89f430a9e7d&ext=.pdf)

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless that happens to be OHSU in which case I would just be surprised.

I'm curious why this would be a surprise to you. Most say go where your wife/SO and yourself would be happiest, atm as a pre-applicant I see this being one of the top choices. Outside of a weaker research CV and being a DO I feel I'm a strong applicant fwiw.

Anyway, I thank you all for your input. The main thing is my skill is very rigid in our school schedule ie. a course must be 7-3-14 through 8-1-14. Not only is OHSU near the top of my list but there schedule matches my school, which is one of the main reasons I'm also unable to pursue many of the desirable CA residencies or UW/UofU as an elective. Additionally using my elective for "something I like" would be me using it for something Psych related.

With the input I got here I'll plan on doing an OHSU simply because I'd rather take some of the "chance" out of the equation of whether or not I get an interview.

Interesting thread. Congrats to all those who matched!

I'm curious why this would be a surprise to you. Most say go where your wife/SO and yourself would be happiest, atm as a pre-applicant I see this being one of the top choices. Outside of a weaker research CV and being a DO I feel I'm a strong applicant fwiw.

Anyway, I thank you all for your input. The main thing is my skill is very rigid in our school schedule ie. a course must be 7-3-14 through 8-1-14. Not only is OHSU near the top of my list but there schedule matches my school, which is one of the main reasons I'm also unable to pursue many of the desirable CA residencies or UW/UofU as an elective.

Sorry I didn’t mean to belittle your chances at all. All I meant was that even as a DO applicant, you can do much better than OHSU.

And happiness depends upon a multitude of factors most important of which are the dynamics within the program. Being close to one's preferred location is probably not remotely as important.

Either way, I think it’s great that you are able to do a rotation at OHSU as you can now find out for yourself if it’ll be a good fit for you. Make particular note of things like residents’ schedules, calls and work details, and also try to attend the didactics to assess their quality. It might be an eye-opener.

Sorry I didn’t mean to belittle your chances at all. All I meant was that even as a DO applicant, you can do much better than OHSU.

And happiness depends upon a multitude of factors most important of which are the dynamics within the program. Being close to one's preferred location is probably not remotely as important.

Either way, I think it’s great that you are able to do a rotation at OHSU as you can now find out for yourself if it’ll be a good fit for you. Make particular note of things like residents’ schedules, calls and work details, and also try to attend the didactics to assess their quality. It might be an eye-opener.
StECT, this is getting old...

I don't know if a resident there spit in your coffee or if the PD subconsciously reminded you of a creepy relative or what, but you have long ago established that you did not like OHSU. You posted a review and several times chimed in about why you don't care for the program. Check. We've all got it.

At this point, your jumping in and making snide comments ("even as a DO, you can do better") aren't doing a service and just constitute bashing. If you have some inside information, feel free to share it. Because there are people who attend and have attended OHSU who are very open on SDN about the strengths and weaknesses of their program. Frequent bashing from someone who's total experience with the program appears to be a single interview? Not so much.

I interviewed at OHSU and many of the places I believe that showed up on your match list. And I found that several of your CA programs have what I would consider bigger problems and are much less desirable than OHSU. But I don't pop up on any thread that mentions UCLA-Harbor* and tell people to avoid it or that "even a DO" can do better.

Why? Because it's not helpful because I don't have any experience to justify it even if it was. Folks can read my review if they want to learn about my snap judgment of ANY program, but I don't issue dire warnings about a place because I didn't like the interview day.

I know there's a certain comfort in the steady hum of one grinding one's axe, but that should be weighed against the fact that many people will really, really want to go to this program and seek helpful advice. "You could do better" (whatever that means) certainly doesn't qualify. OHSU has a lot of faults. So does my program. So, I have a hunch, will yours. But many programs have an actual mission, and for many, you roll with the problems of a program and implement improvement within because you believe in the mission. For OHSU, aside from having some areas in which it's quite strong, it has the undisputed strength of being the ONLY program in the country specializing in providing mental health care to the people of Oregon. Some people believe in thing like that (even if it comes across as feeling too "community" to you).

So if you have some significant personal experience to share, please do so. Otherwise, the whole stECT-And-Her-No-Good-Very-Bad-Interview-Day thing is getting tired. Folks will likely have enough class to not bash your program, whenever it's name comes up. Please have the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
* UCLA Harbor chosen because like any public, state-funded psychiatry program, it has it's own struggles and problems. Also chosen because it has a very specific mission that does not appeal to everyone. And lastly, I wanted to pick a program that I truly loved and ranked very highly so that folks wouldn't feel I was knocking their program. Nothing but love, Harborites...

Last edited: