why not help animals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faizaaziz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone.. i want to confess something relating animals... why people prefer getting degree of human medicine over vet? why not animals? humans are important but that doesnt make animals worthless.. why is a veterinarian not given respect but a mbbs doctor is paid respect...?? helping and saving animals is also of great worth i guess..

Members don't see this ad.

I've never gotten any disrespect from anyone either in medicine or from the public. Quite the contrary. Usually they are very interested and impressed with what I/we do. Although I know that is not the same everywhere in the world (since you say MBBS I assume you are not from the US).

I think the same question could be posed the opposite way - why would someone prefer getting a veterinary degree over a MD/DO? It's just about preference and interest. For me, it is the species variety that drew me more to ved med than human med, plus the fact that animal-based medicine is one of the foundations of medicine in general (from a research and development perspective). But of course human lives > animal lives, so some people choose to go human med.

There's always the people that go into human med for the prestige and money. If my interests in both fields were level, I sure as hell would be doing human med instead.

Also, there's some people that simply don't give much of a crap about animals. Not all that common I don't believe, but do exist.

Apparently I added some cynicism into my smoothie this morning. I blame midterms.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There's always the people that go into human med for the prestige and money. If my interests in both fields were level, I sure as hell would be doing human med instead.

Also, there's some people that simply don't give much of a crap about animals. Not all that common I don't believe, but do exist.

Apparently I added some cynicism into my smoothie this morning. I blame midterms.
so u'd prefer human medicine over VET right? any specific reason?

I've never gotten any disrespect from anyone either in medicine or from the public. Quite the contrary. Usually they are very interested and impressed with what I/we do. Although I know that is not the same everywhere in the world (since you say MBBS I assume you are not from the US).

I think the same question could be posed the opposite way - why would someone prefer getting a veterinary degree over a MD/DO? It's just about preference and interest. For me, it is the species variety that drew me more to ved med than human med, plus the fact that animal-based medicine is one of the foundations of medicine in general (from a research and development perspective). But of course human lives > animal lives, so some people choose to go human med.
which one has better scope ( jobs i'd say) human medicine or VET?

Members don't see this ad :)
Or, you know, maybe someone not from the US, whose first language may not be English, who lives in a country where veterinarians ARE looked down upon and animals in general are treated as rubbish. A place where one would ask the question why are vets not treated with respect, why don't people think animals lives are worth anything.

I think we're being a little quick to judge here. Given that the OP refers to doctors as MBBS and his/her username, I assume they are non-US/UK/Canada.

Reactions: 4 users
Or, you know, maybe someone not from the US, whose first language may not be English, who lives in a country where veterinarians ARE looked down upon and animals in general are treated as rubbish. A place where one would ask the question why are vets not treated with respect, why don't people think animals lives are worth anything.

I think we're being a little quick to judge here. Given that the OP refers to doctors as MBBS and his/her username, I assume they are non-US/UK/Canada.

I would agree this makes the most sense.

Ha ha.
You're joking right?

MDs get paid about 5-10 times the level of vets. There is no comparison.
but there are less jobs for MDs here... in asia, indeed there's no comparison. but i've seen many jobless MDs here.. they dont get paid much...

but there are less jobs for MDs here... in asia, indeed there's no comparison. but i've seen many jobless MDs here.. they dont get paid much...
Didn't know that. There is still plenty of jobs for MDs here. Actually vet jobs are getting tougher as a glut of vets are graduating. Need some of the old timers to retire. So prospects of getting an MD job are also better.

Yes vets do, in general, get less respect......I had a classmate (Asian-Canadian) who became a vet, and when her sister became a (human) doctor, her parents said "finally, there's a doctor in the family", totally ignoring the fact that their daughter who was a vet was also a doctor. I see people all the time who think what vets do is great but way too expensive, not recognizing that they expect high quality medical care but also expect to pay very little.

So, why did I become a vet instead of a human doctor? I liked the wide variety of options available to me with a veterinary degree, more than just treating sick patients. And I liked the veterinary students were not terribly competitive with one another and almost everyone who made it in to vet school and put in a decent effort would graduate. I'm not a terribly competitive person, and med school was very unappealing to me.

I believe with any type of medicine, you have to have passion for it. Some people have a passion for animals and become a vet, others have a passion for healthy feet and become podiatrists. To be a good doctor you need to love what you do. Am I, and many others on here, smart enough to get in to human medical schools? Sure! But our hearts are with animals, whether they are cats, dogs, ferrets, rabbits, birds, horses, livestock or wild animals!

Reactions: 1 user
Yes vets do, in general, get less respect......I had a classmate (Asian-Canadian) who became a vet, and when her sister became a (human) doctor, her parents said "finally, there's a doctor in the family", totally ignoring the fact that their daughter who was a vet was also a doctor. I see people all the time who think what vets do is great but way too expensive, not recognizing that they expect high quality medical care but also expect to pay very little.

So, why did I become a vet instead of a human doctor? I liked the wide variety of options available to me with a veterinary degree, more than just treating sick patients. And I liked the veterinary students were not terribly competitive with one another and almost everyone who made it in to vet school and put in a decent effort would graduate. I'm not a terribly competitive person, and med school was very unappealing to me.
yes im currently facing the same problem.. the competition in human medicine is too tough nd yes u're right about the variety of options..

I believe with any type of medicine, you have to have passion for it. Some people have a passion for animals and become a vet, others have a passion for healthy feet and become podiatrists. To be a good doctor you need to love what you do. Am I, and many others on here, smart enough to get in to human medical schools? Sure! But our hearts are with animals, whether they are cats, dogs, ferrets, rabbits, birds, horses, livestock or wild animals!
im new to this.. i love to deal with animals.. but i dont know much about this field ( scope, pay etc ) plus i wanted to start writing blogs relating VET so i thought collecting information about this field is a very important thing.. yes im young i dont know about other fields..i dont know what's going on all over the world.. im here to know things i dont know.. not to be disrespected:(,, everyone else making fun of me,, i'd ask u .. how would u feel if u were in my place? well never mind .. im here to get as much information as i can other than just getting a degree...

It's good that you are getting information and exploring your options! I would recommend searching the forums thoroughly before starting threads. There is a lot of information on here and it can be very helpful. If you think you are interested in veterinary medicine, see if a local vet will allow you to come shadow them for a day (or more!) I'm not sure how old you are, but if you are old enough to get a job at a kennel associated with a vet, that's a good way to get started too. You could also look at local farms to see if they need help with livestock.

It's good that you are getting information and exploring your options! I would recommend searching the forums thoroughly before starting threads. There is a lot of information on here and it can be very helpful. If you think you are interested in veterinary medicine, see if a local vet will allow you to come shadow them for a day (or more!) I'm not sure how old you are, but if you are old enough to get a job at a kennel associated with a vet, that's a good way to get started too. You could also look at local farms to see if they need help with livestock.
yes i've searched forums here.. maybe i've not searched enough but i couldnt find anything which would help me to start any volunteer work relating vet

Yes vets do, in general, get less respect......I had a classmate (Asian-Canadian) who became a vet, and when her sister became a (human) doctor, her parents said "finally, there's a doctor in the family", totally ignoring the fact that their daughter who was a vet was also a doctor.

If her parents were Asian, that explains it. (Human) medical professions = the highest tier.

If her parents were Asian, that explains it. (Human) medical professions = the highest tier.
it shouldnt be like that.. if its all about interest then why this respect difference exists? what do u think

yes im currently facing the same problem.. the competition in human medicine is too tough nd yes u're right about the variety of options..

Qurl you do realize vet school is harder to get into right?

im new to this.. i love to deal with animals.. but i dont know much about this field ( scope, pay etc ) plus i wanted to start writing blogs relating VET so i thought collecting information about this field is a very important thing.. yes im young i dont know about other fields..i dont know what's going on all over the world.. im here to know things i dont know.. not to be disrespected:(,, everyone else making fun of me,, i'd ask u .. how would u feel if u were in my place? well never mind .. im here to get as much information as i can other than just getting a degree...

"Loving" animals is not enough to become a veterinarian. I suggest you start volunteering at vet clinics, aninal shelters etc and experience the hardships that come along with this profession. I'm not trying to come off rude but veterinary medicine is not all rainbows and sunshine.

This has been debated ad nauseum but in general, in the USA, both are very challenging to get into for different reasons and you can't really say one is harder than the other. Also, the OP has stated that s/he lives in Asia and therefore admissions is probably a completely different process from what you are used to.

To the OP: I think a perfect solution for you would be to spend some time shadowing veterinarians and write a blog about your experiences (make sure you follow the rules of that vet practice and that country in terms of privacy). I think you will learn much more from hands-on experience than anything you could learn online.

To Minnerbelle: I know it would potentially be a huge tangent but I would love to hear what you had to say upthread.

Reactions: 1 user
"Loving" animals is not enough to become a veterinarian. I suggest you start volunteering at vet clinics, aninal shelters etc and experience the hardships that come along with this profession. I'm not trying to come off rude but veterinary medicine is not all rainbows and sunshine.
i didnt say anything like that.. i know vet is tough too.. nothing is easy anywhere.. there's no vet clinic anywhere near my house where i can go take the benefit..thats why im here to know.. i want to do any online volunteer work like writing blog or doing any related online course..

not in asia.. the selection criteria for veterinary medicine fits on me, i can easily get admission in the university i want to get in but currently the admissions are closed im waiting for them to reopen so that i can get into that university.. nd one thing NOTHING IS EASY.. all u need to do is to put ur heart nd mind in the chosen field..nd work hard thats the key to success.. it includes all volunteer works u're talking about.