Why the LECOM hate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd rather go business casual to class than scrubs. I can tell you right now that if I'm at Nova next year you will see me in a shirt/tie 9 times out of 10. Unless we don't need the tie.

I'm with you on this one. I hate wearing scrubs, I guess I'm one of those girly girls...when I go places I prefer to look like a woman rather than a blue blob of a medical student and that's what scrubs make me feel like.

It was nice though when I shadowed and a nurse asked me if I was the new Anesthesiologist on staff because I was wearing scrubs...I was like "I wish!" then proceeded to be really embarrassed and hide as pre-meds should.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, in regards to the "dress code ain't a big deal coz you're gonna be a doctor one day and you'll need to follow policies and dress appropriately" argument, here's my smart-ass reply: some of us have very little interest in the traditional authoritarian doctor in white coat and shirt and tie, and would rather get down and dirty in scrubs in fields like EM or surgery. So technically speaking, wearing scrubs every day to school is better "practice" for us anyway.

Good luck on rotations, then. Business attire is the standard for students in most fields. Even some surgery programs expect you to come in dressed professionally, tie and all, change into scrubs, operate, and if you have downtime between operations, you're expected to change back into your business attire.

They certainly are. I work in medical billing, and these are billed within the codes of primary care medical treatment/therapy.

Regardless of what the billing codes are, EM and anything with the word "surgery" in it isn't primary care. OB/GYN is often considered primary care, though, and many women don't have a FM or IM PCP and only see their OB/GYN for everything.

Pretty weak. Let me run it down for you:

Rotations do get dropped, and it's a problem. Like I said earlier, we're starting the rotation selection process now, and it's unpleasant. But this notion of paying for rotation sites "like 99% of other medical schools" is a flat out lie. The majority don't pay. That's why the Carribean managed to secure so many new spots in New York. They, unlike most US schools, are willing to pay good money for rotation sites. Would you like to go to a school that has to employ Carribean practices to educate their students? Nevertheless, you graduate, and most of the people I've been talking with have been fairly satisfied with the way rotations have turned out despite the anxiety they cause.

We've seen a number of changes from our feedback between first and second year. This blog's author is upset because the administration won't budge on fundamental rules they have here. You will wear professional attire, attend every lecture, and keep your food and drink confined to the cafeteria. Those won't change, and LECOM's very clear about that from the get-go. He might as well say that he wants LECOM to do all their rotations at MGH. It's not going to happen, and you're out of touch with reality if you hold it against the administration for shooting it down.

It is funny that he talks about Erie's "perfected interview process." It was hands down the least impressive, poorly-run interview that I attended, though that was at least partially due to their normal guide being sick or on leave and plugging in someone who wasn't particularly well-prepared.

If you're a high-strung person who needs everything to make sense and has to have his or her way, you'll probably end up like that blogger and the festering bitterness will make you a soul-sucking human being that the rest of us prefer to avoid, lest we get dragged down with your catastrophizing. If you're a reasonable, go-with-the-flow person who can stomach a little apparent nonsense regulation in order to get a quality education at a reasonable price, LECOM might be a good option for you.

However, I'm in PBL. I likely would've opted to go elsewhere rather than do LDP.

The blog writer makes a good reference to tuition cost. Sure, lower tuition is nice, but lower tuition also means the school has less money to secure rotation sites. I'm not saying that schools with higher tuition necessarily spend more on rotations than LECOM, but at least it is a possibility.

I'm a little rusty with cliches, but I think there's one that goes something like "you get what you pay for."

Is it true that you actually wear professional dress during anatomy lab with a white coat on top to protect your clothes?

No, this is not true. You wear khaki's or some other type of older clothes. They just don't let you wear scrubs. You wear a lab coat over the clothes.

No, this is not true. You wear khaki's or some other type of older clothes. They just don't let you wear scrubs. You wear a lab coat over the clothes.

No scrubs allowed? That seems a bit ridiculous specifically for anatomy lab.

What does LECOM have against scrubs? They know that surgeons and everyone else in the OR wear scrubs, right?

No scrubs allowed? That seems a bit ridiculous specifically for anatomy lab.

Indeed.

not rediculous plus its twelve weeks

What does LECOM have against scrubs? They know that surgeons and everyone else in the OR wear scrubs, right?

Indeed.

This may have changed since I was there. Had to do with the preference of the head of anatomy who no longer is there. I think it also had to do with students stealing scrubs from Millcreek Hospital and wearing them at the school.

I'm not so much wondering why LECOM doesn't get love from students, I'm wondering why I'm not getting any interview invite love from them.

Good luck on rotations, then. Business attire is the standard for students in most fields. Even some surgery programs expect you to come in dressed professionally, tie and all, change into scrubs, operate, and if you have downtime between operations, you're expected to change back into your business attire.

Well then obviously I'd dress in shirt and tie.

Look, I'm not opposed to dressing formally, I'd just rather not be obliged to when it's not strictly necessary (think: studying in the library, sitting in lecture halls, etc.)

As someone said earlier in this thread, business attire -- big or no big deal -- is still another step in your daily student routines that is completely unnecessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well then obviously I'd dress in shirt and tie.

Look, I'm not opposed to dressing formally, I'd just rather not be obliged to when it's not strictly necessary (think: studying in the library, sitting in lecture halls, etc.)

As someone said earlier in this thread, business attire -- big or no big deal -- is still another step in your daily student routines that is completely unnecessary.

:thumbup:

I love the WHEN you're a doctor, and WHEN you're on rotations arguments. First/Second years aren't doctors and aren't on rotations. You should be able to wear whatever makes you comfortable when you're at school. Obviously, working at a hospital or some other environment where you are representing yourself to the public is different. There is no logical argument for a shirt/tie to class, in the library, etc.

Why don't you treat me like a professional, mature adult and not enforce elementary rules? (again, not speaking from a public standpoint, but a student in a classroom standpoint)

I guess the school is disliked by some people because it seems to be some form of dictatorship.

Wow.

It's a shirt and tie. Get over it like the other 85% of adults in America.

It takes 3 seconds to put a tie on (you don't actually think I untie my tie every day, do you?)

Dude, I'll take my hoodie > shirt & tie anyday.

And keeping your tie tied up will damage the fibers in the silk - you're supposed to untie it after use, and let it hang freely until next time.

Wow.

It's a shirt and tie. Get over it like the other 85% of adults in America.

It takes 3 seconds to put a tie on (you don't actually think I untie my tie every day, do you?)

you are right. The dress code isn't really something that should be made as much of a big deal as some people on here are making it out to be. The low tuition will make it a non-issue for me.

I love the WHEN you're a doctor, and WHEN you're on rotations arguments. First/Second years aren't doctors and aren't on rotations. You should be able to wear whatever makes you comfortable when you're at school. Obviously, working at a hospital or some other environment where you are representing yourself to the public is different. There is no logical argument for a shirt/tie to class, in the library, etc.

Well said. The prep-for-next-step argument is so logically flawed it hurts my brain.

And keeping your tie tied up will damage the fibers in the silk - you're supposed to untie it after use, and let it hang freely until next time.

You mean it'll damage the fibers that are going to be tangled into a knot anyway? Yeah...not worried about that. Been doing it for about 15 years and not a single "damaged" tie.

No argument about a hoodie being better than a shirt and tie but damn. Talk about a petty grievance.

you are right. The dress code isn't really something that should be made as much of a big deal as some people on here are making it out to be. The low tuition will make it a non-issue for me.

You seriously won't remember you have it on, just like the other eleventy billion americans that put a shirt and tie on for work each morning. You forget it's there.

I think people have this idea that when you have a shirt and tie on you're automatically uncomfortable and can't concentrate. For some reason all activities become more difficult with 5 ounces of silk on your neck :rolleyes:

I just call bullsh*t on it and say they're looking for something to bitch about. Grow up.

you realize you're talking about a tie, right? I'll stick with my initial assessment.

No, that's not what I'm talking about. There's a big picture and you're missing it.

Last edited:

Last edited:

I agree. For 7 am exams with little sleep, rolling out of bed in sweatpants and a hoodie is great. Feels good man.

:thumbup: Agreed. I say put on the big boy pants (with the shirt and tie) and get over it... or move on. If you don't go to LECOM, you don't know jack but that one day you spent at your interview and/or reading the BS here on SDN from the whiners and those who spin the rumor mill. For some it's a fit, for others it's not. Simple.

It's a solid school with some strict rules, that I'm glad to follow (as are most, and without many complaints at that)... but guess what??? You'll be following someone else's rules and playing the game for most of the rest of your career... best to get used to it now. If that's too much to handle, why complain? Move along and be happy...

Why? I'm still not seeing the logic behind the prep-for-next-step argument. Seems more like rationalization to me. :rolleyes:

Anyway, this thread is getting progressively dumber. For new readers wanting an honest opinion, check out the first reply on page one.

Why? I'm still not seeing the logic behind the prep-for-next-step argument. Seems more like rationalization to me. :rolleyes:

Anyway, this thread is getting progressively dumber. For new readers wanting an honest opinion, check out the first reply on page one.

I agree. Med students always tell pre-meds that once med school starts, their freedom is over so they might as well travel and do fun stuff to enjoy their last year/summer. You never hear a med student/resident/attending/anyone telling a pre-med "well, med school is hard and you have to study all the time, so you might as well study and not have any fun starting right now."

i agree. Med students always tell pre-meds that once med school starts, their freedom is over so they might as well travel and do fun stuff to enjoy their last year/summer. You never hear a med student/resident/attending/anyone telling a pre-med "well, med school is hard and you have to study all the time, so you might as well study and not have any fun starting right now."

Last edited:
As a current first year at LECOM Erie I think there are a lot of misconceptions. For the most part people are very happy at LECOM, because for most of us this is the school that gave us a chance. Sure we have to dress professionally, but what is the big deal? It really is not THAT bad, people act like its torture. The administration can be difficult to deal with, however if you keep your head down and stay out of trouble then you won't have any problems. The people that get on here and rail about LECOM are the same ones that are pissed off they did not get accepted anywhere else and "have to go" to LECOM. You are going to have malcontents at every school, but with a class of around 250 there are just going to be people who feel the need to make the voice heard. LECOM has been great so far. I will do my pre-clinical education and make no complaints about it, because at the end of the day I am going to graduate as a DOCTOR, and with a whole hell of lot less tuition than many of my friends. If you have any questions about LECOM or Erie feel free to PM me.

I agree. Med students always tell pre-meds that once med school starts, their freedom is over so they might as well travel and do fun stuff to enjoy their last year/summer. You never hear a med student/resident/attending/anyone telling a pre-med "well, med school is hard and you have to study all the time, so you might as well study and not have any fun starting right now."

haha can't lie, this is a great response. winner winner

As a current first year at LECOM Erie I think there are a lot of misconceptions. For the most part people are very happy at LECOM, because for most of us this is the school that gave us a chance. Sure we have to dress professionally, but what is the big deal? It really is not THAT bad, people act like its torture. The administration can be difficult to deal with, however if you keep your head down and stay out of trouble then you won't have any problems. The people that get on here and rail about LECOM are the same ones that are pissed off they did not get accepted anywhere else and "have to go" to LECOM. You are going to have malcontents at every school, but with a class of around 250 there are just going to be people who feel the need to make the voice heard. LECOM has been great so far. I will do my pre-clinical education and make no complaints about it, because at the end of the day I am going to graduate as a DOCTOR, and with a whole hell of lot less tuition than many of my friends. If you have any questions about LECOM or Erie feel free to PM me.

Absolutely:thumbup:

Qq

Correct me if im wrong, but the only positive thing anyone had said about LECOM is it's cheap and they have a high COMLEX pass rate. That's like me justifying bad grades by saying "I had fun and saved money by not buying textbooks."

Im not saying LECOM totally sucks, but if you're gonna get on here and support it at least have some legit reasons.

If you chose LECOM because of low tuition, that's fine and more power to you, but that doesn't make LECOM a good school. An example is MSUCOM and its superior rotation sites. That makes MSUCOM a good school. MSUCOM's ridiculous OOS tuition makes it undesirable, but not bad. That's a distinction many of you don't seem to understand.
Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

For a user with 10K+ posts, your lack of avatar is disconcerting. May I suggest a cat, unicorn, or maybe a Pokemon?

What about a quadricorn?

:eyebrow: I'll believe it when I see it.

Moneytree makes me think of neopets.. maybe ill have a neopet as my avatar.

For people who are reading this thread looking for some actual information.

Notice you have....

A) An attending, and at least three or four current LECOM medical students telling you that the school isn't nearly as bad as it's reputation on SDN, and more importantly, that they are happy here.

and

B) Quite a few Pre-Meds, who do not attend LECOM explain how horrible their policies are and how they would never attend if given the chance.

I'll let you decide where the more accurate information lies.

I'd also like to say that there is a TON of misinformation regarding our policies, especially with board exams, and rotations. If I find time, I'll try and amass a post with accurate information.

For people who are reading this thread looking for some actual information.

Notice you have....

A) An attending, and at least three or four current LECOM medical students telling you that the school isn't nearly as bad as it's reputation on SDN, and more importantly, that they are happy here.

and

B) Quite a few Pre-Meds, who do not attend LECOM explain how horrible their policies are and how they would never attend if given the chance.

I'll let you decide where the more accurate information lies.

I'd also like to say that there is a TON of misinformation regarding our policies, especially with board exams, and rotations. If I find time, I'll try and amass a post with accurate information.

More of the same.. "im happy at LECOM therefore LECOM is a good school"

More of the same.. "im happy at LECOM therefore LECOM is a good school"

More of the same... "I'm a pre-med that has heard lecom is bad via the internet and I know what I'm talking about."

At least I actually go here.

If someone offered you a minimum of $15k/year to dress professionally and to respect their building by not eating or drinking except in the cafeteria would you take the deal?

K...nobody is actually handing you $15k, but hopefully you get the picture.

If someone offered you a minimum of $15k/year to dress professionally and to respect their building by not eating or drinking except in the cafeteria would you take the deal?

K...nobody is actually handing you $15k, but hopefully you get the picture.

I would for the dress code, but not for eating. I NEED food and especially drink to study and pay attention in class. Make it $10K for dress code only and you've got a deal! ;)

Im not saying LECOM totally sucks, but if you're gonna get on here and support it at least have some legit reasons.

If you chose LECOM because of low tuition, that's fine and more power to you, but that doesn't make LECOM a good school. An example is MSUCOM and its superior rotation sites. That makes MSUCOM a good school. MSUCOM's ridiculous OOS tuition makes it undesirable, but not bad. That's a distinction many of you don't seem to understand.

Good board scores aren't a legit reason? Or multiple pathways to better suit your learning style? I think those are probably about the most important things in a pre-clinical curriculum. I'm really not sure what else you're looking for. And money is absolutely a legit reason.

I didn't even apply to MSUCOM. It's a great school, but as an out of state applicant, there's no way I'd be willing to pay that tuition if I was accepted elsewhere. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have applied to CCOM or AZCOM either, and declined my AZCOM interview on account of how expensive they were once I had other acceptances in hand. I don't know what world some people are living in, but cost of attendance is a big deal. Of all the doctors I spoke with when applying and interviewing, all but one said, "Go wherever's cheapest" (the other guy said to go wherever was most fun). I'd personally rather put an extra $150-200K into a house and a car rather than the degree I'm already going to get, but whatever floats your boat, I guess.

I'm only a second year, so my take on rotations is only speculation, but I'd call LECOM's average to a bit above average. Some sites are excellent, some are not so good, but they seem to be at least average and improving.

You know what I have to say about choosing the cheapest school? View attachment 21415

I really just wanted to share the photo. I have no opinion other than all schools are pretty much equal in that they will get you the degree you want. The only factors that differ are really personal choices, like do I like the area, do I prefer this curriculum, etc. That's my opinion.

You know what I have to say about choosing the cheapest school? View attachment 21415

I really just wanted to share the photo. I have no opinion other than all schools are pretty much equal in that they will get you the degree you want. The only factors that differ are really personal choices, like do I like the area, do I prefer this curriculum, etc. That's my opinion.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.