Why wasn't I ranked?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brownie78

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new here, an IMG who just attempted the match for the second time. Received a total of 6 interviews.
My grades are not stellar but ok (220 step 1 and 225 step 2) I am an old grad. All i want is a family medicine residency. Well i did not match which did not surprise me since i canculated my chances at 43%. What surprised me was that one place i interviewed at, was in the SOAP which means they did not rank me at all nor did they rank the other guys ahead of me.
I do not think the interview went bad, i might have been nervous or awkward at worst, i did not say outrageous things, swore, or was rude to anybody. I was complimented on my English and CV.
Now, this is a rural program and i had to interview at different spots for the same program: the capital first and the small town rural programs next. Which one of them put me in the DNR list i will probably never know.
It seemed like i had extremely positive feedback from the capital and from more than one of those rural programs, one even promised to rank me first if i ranked them first but he obviously lied, the program that ended into SOAP was very positive to me but then did not rank me at all.
Looking back i really cannot find any justification to why i was not ranked, i am not a creeper, a freak or negatively stand out.
I am waiting for the SOAP hoping to get a second chance maybe they will re-think this since they have met me?
Or they are so disgusted they won't bother?
These programs only had 12 applicants, how many did they rank? This programs has both position unfilled.
Either there's something wrong with me or this is a strategy that i do not understand.
Why would program directors go as far as paying for hotels investing money and then do not rank an applicant who came all the way to your remote location? By the way i really enjoyed this program.
Next time i will lie about my first choice, had i told one of those PDs i ranked him first maybe I would be in?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

If it makes you feel any better, I too- apparently- was DNR'd at a program. They were among the top of my rank list and they have 2 unfilled spots in SOAP. I too, thought it went well (actually, went EXCELLENT - had great rapport with most the attendings and residents. sent out my handwritten cards and all that) Who knows what happens behind the scenes or what went wrong, all you can do is keep persisting. Medicine is about resilience, particularly for Non US MD grads.

So either we really were DNR'd or the match algorithm has a glitch (it has happened in the past for Uro and I beleive the main match too) Most likely though, we just weren't ranked at all. Keep your head up, plenty of off-cycle positions crop up in July/August when there are graduation and or Visa Issues of incoming residents.

IMG?? I don't understand what you mean by that?

Well, the place that I was DNR'd at (and is now in the SOAP) has lots of IMG's as well as DO's- so that must not be the issue. One of their Chiefs was a non-traditional DO and the other Chief was another non-traditional Carib grad (i.e. completely different careers before going to med school later in life).

Anyways- in the end, I did match successfully lower on my list. Just stung a bit to see that they didn't rank me and have been wracking my brains over it.

I am new here, an IMG who just attempted the match for the second time. Received a total of 6 interviews.
My grades are not stellar but ok (220 step 1 and 225 step 2) I am an old grad. All i want is a family medicine residency. Well i did not match which did not surprise me since i canculated my chances at 43%. What surprised me was that one place i interviewed at, was in the SOAP which means they did not rank me at all nor did they rank the other guys ahead of me.
I do not think the interview went bad, i might have been nervous or awkward at worst, i did not say outrageous things, swore, or was rude to anybody. I was complimented on my English and CV.
Now, this is a rural program and i had to interview at different spots for the same program: the capital first and the small town rural programs next. Which one of them put me in the DNR list i will probably never know.
It seemed like i had extremely positive feedback from the capital and from more than one of those rural programs, one even promised to rank me first if i ranked them first but he obviously lied, the program that ended into SOAP was very positive to me but then did not rank me at all.
Looking back i really cannot find any justification to why i was not ranked, i am not a creeper, a freak or negatively stand out.
I am waiting for the SOAP hoping to get a second chance maybe they will re-think this since they have met me?
These programs only had 12 applicants, how many did they rank? This programs has both position unfilled.
Either there's something wrong with me or this is a strategy that i do not understand.
Why would program directors go as far as paying for hotels investing money and then do not rank an applicant who came all the way to your remote location? By the way i really enjoyed this program.
Next time i will lie about my first choice, had i told one of those PDs i ranked him first maybe I would be in?
Thank you

Did you go to the residency dinner how did you get along with the residents? The dinner before the interview makes or breaks most people if you don't talk much or are nervous the residents may tell the PD that they don't want you there. I know many places where residents pretty much make the clas. What did you do for the year after you didn't match?

Many PD know that they can get a lot of applicants for the SOAP because all the unmatched students are competing for them. Why would they compliment you on your visa? 12 applicants is a lot for FM which means they must of interviewed like 100 people. How many programs did you apply to? You can't trust PD that tell you they will rank you first many of them say that just get as many people to rank them as high as they can. Just nod and say you are in my top choice!

IMG, just a way of introducing myself. I do think it does count, as this particular place did not have many IMGs, but there is no point discussing this as my percieved discrimination (which my be just my perception) is pointless : I cannot modify my age or country of birth next time.
The reason why this boggle my mind is rather: why they did not pick anybody else? They got the same two empty slots they got before extending interviews at all. Getting you responses is a way for me to improve my application not to criticize what happened. IN the end if i do not match there, there is a reason which is beyond me: it was not meant.

A couple of years ago something got really screwed up in the urology match (not run by the NRMP). But it wasn't like a couple people going unmatched...it was wide swaths of errors with programs not filling and applicants not matching despite both having ranked each other. They figured it out within hours and withdrew all the results and re-ran the match.

Pretty huge cluster.
Well i had the idea when faced with the fact that my #2 choice had two spot available in the SOAP. I thought i had made a mistake in my ROL, I think this is what I would call temporary insanity. Hear me out: This place had all spots unfilled! All!
Indeed if a mistake really occurred, which i doubt, they would be fishing me out now. I bet they would have to run totally out of more appetizing choices. I don't really believe i have a chance with them anymore.
Thank you all

Well i had the idea when faced with the fact that my #2 choice had two spot available in the SOAP. I thought i had made a mistake in my ROL, I think this is what I would call temporary insanity. Hear me out: This place had all spots unfilled! All!
Indeed if a mistake really occurred, which i doubt, they would be fishing me out now. I bet they would have to run totally out of more appetizing choices. I don't really believe i have a chance with them anymore.
Thank you all

Do you have a VISA?

Thank you

I learned a bit about the interview process reading books written by former PDs. I was suggested one in particular by an anesthesiologist colleague which he used to help him with interviews (the ISBN is 0615325920 and I have a version if you would like it, PM me). In the book it discusses how the review board works when choosing new residents. At any point, a high-ranking member of the commission has the right to DNR(Do Not Rank) any applicant, and in your case, it could have been exactly that, a high ranking commission member DNR'ing you because of your IMG status.

As an IMG myself, it's hard to find any information about IMG friendly programs, and the best predictor I've learned to use is looking at the program history. If they have IMG's working for them, then you have a shot, if they don't then you should probably look elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
I learned a bit about the interview process reading books written by former PDs. I was suggested one in particular by an anesthesiologist colleague which he used to help him with interviews (the ISBN is 0615325920 and I have a version if you would like it, PM me). In the book it discusses how the review board works when choosing new residents. At any point, a high-ranking member of the commission has the right to DNR(Do Not Rank) any applicant, and in your case, it could have been exactly that, a high ranking commission member DNR'ing you because of your IMG status.

As an IMG myself, it's hard to find any information about IMG friendly programs, and the best predictor I've learned to use is looking at the program history. If they have IMG's working for them, then you have a shot, if they don't then you should probably look elsewhere.

This is true OP are there any IMG's in this program or is it mostly DO and MD?

This is true OP are there any IMG's in this program or is it mostly DO and MD?
Thank you I would love to read abook for free!
And thank you for your insightful answer. I saw about 10% IGMs in the whole place between IM and FM, I have the chart of their faculty and residents and did not see many IMGs, i did see a few though. They proclaimed themselves IMGs friendly. Loooking back there were a few red flags in the programs. The invitation letter was weird it started by saying: "we were about to send you and invitation and sent you a rejection in mistake(never received a rejection from them!!!), are you willing to interview with us?".
One of the PD at one rural program pressed me to give him the first spot. I did not and did tot lie about it.
The PC messed my interview schedule several times and forgot to send me important info including the schedule and place of the first day interview (in the capital). This is my first year interviewing but all the other programs acted differently.
I am starting to think they did not really want me that much.
Thank you

I replied to the wrong person about the book, sorry! I would love a book for free but do not know how to PM you!
Thanks

Just speculating here, but might help ease your mind brownie78. A lot of the rural programs, tend to want to recruit residents that have significant ties to the area and/or will make a commitment to staying in the rural area after training to give back to the community. Perhaps, because of your international background- they may have assumed you wouldn't be interested in staying in a rural underserved area post-residency. Just a thought. I know in my homestate, the Rural Scholars from med-school are always promised/guaranteed the rural FM spots.

One of the PD at one rural program pressed me to give him the first spot. I did not and did tot lie about it.

To be honest, I would lie through my teeth and tell every single program they are my #1. You are at a disadvantage as an IMG and you kiss their ass in every way you can so that they feel comfortable ranking you. A rank is still a rank.

US Grads have the luxury of being able to say that they have options because of their 95% match rate. IMG rank rate is around 50%. So unless you have stellar step scores (250+) and LoR's from faculty at top institutions, it breaks down to you telling every single program that you are excited, and would love to work with them saying that it's your dream and that you wouldn't want to work anywhere else.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know how the IMG thing makes sense - they knew you were an IMG before extending you the invite.

Photino, sorry did not express myself clearly....
There is another hypothesis I have , that regardless of my IMG status they did not like me that much and were already unsure whether to extend an invitation to me or not.
I will probably never know what happened I am just ranting for argument's sake.
Whynotme, lying would have put me in an awkward situation with these guys as they were all interconnected and might have communicated with each other about me and shown each other e-mails. Now in retrospect, i would have rather stuck that place first and told the guy so, but lying? No. Sticking the guy forth did not garantee me a match but he was the one lying to me, for all i know he did not rank me to match and there is nothing that guarantees he would have done differently had i lied. One might lie back but do you trust a liar? I don't know, I might be honest and naive and need to learn a lesson.

You did the right thing. I know that's small comfort now.

Sorry to hear that this happened to you.
Having been part of ranking meetings myself, I can tell you this: Ranking is often extremely subjective and arbitrary.

It's totally possible that the only reason you ended up not being ranked is because one of the people you met or interviewed with was in a bad mood that day. It's also possible that you said something that an interviewer interpreted in a negative way even though it was not intended that way. I have seen people bumped off the rank list just because "The program coordinator thought that person seemed creepy".

Once the soap madness is over, it is probably worth trying to contact the programs you thought you had a chance at to see if they have any advice or feedback for you. It's possible that there is something you could work on improving, for sure. However, don't beat yourself up, because unfortunately it may not have been anything you did wrong at all.

Thank you PhotinoBird. Perhaps honesty should be a characteristic required of docs, ;P but anyway my way of life is in reality much less complicated than honesty/dishonesty, the real reason i don't like lying: too much mental energy! Too much plotting.
I am kidding, I appreciate your comment and believe me many times i think: what if i had told him i would rank him first (and actually done so).?

Thank you Peppy.
Thinking about the program coordinator, she made a series of mistakes in the schedule and although i didn't complain she felt accused?
Again, this is hypothetical. I am just assuming here, and I was polite to her, do not recall saying anything even slightly negative. But again I might be wrong!

Did you go to the residency dinner how did you get along with the residents? The dinner before the interview makes or breaks most people if you don't talk much or are nervous the residents may tell the PD that they don't want you there. I know many places where residents pretty much make the clas. What did you do for the year after you didn't match?

Many PD know that they can get a lot of applicants for the SOAP because all the unmatched students are competing for them. Why would they compliment you on your visa? 12 applicants is a lot for FM which means they must of interviewed like 100 people. How many programs did you apply to? You can't trust PD that tell you they will rank you first many of them say that just get as many people to rank them as high as they can. Just nod and say you are in my top choice!
I did go to lunch with some resident which lead to pleasurable time together, the previous night apparently i was not invited to the dinner with the residents because the PC forgot to invite me, she was very sloppy with the organization. I do not think the dinner per se was relevant as was relative to the residents of other specialty also and I was the only FM candidate in the building that week. Still...
They interviewed 33 people for ten spots. I was the only one two interview that day in FM. I was supposed to have 5 different interviews but ended up having 4 as one of the rural programs cancelled last minute ( or the PC screwed up again...who knows!). I applied to 67 programs got 5 here (but went to 4) two in other places (in IM).
Yes, any of those interactions might have cost me this. Or considering their numbers and considering and their willingness to attract 'better candidates" might be the onl reason why they dropped me.
Thank you for your imput.

It's crazy they only interviewed 33 people for 10 spots. And then didn't rank some of them. The average program needs to interview ~7 candidates per spot in order to fill.

It's possible the reason they had none of their position filled (12 in total as you said) is because they forgot to submit a ROL on time, which is a match violation! This theory could be confirmed later in the season as NMRP does publish their match violators! This has happened before!

Alternatively, the PD is a new hired and he/she is learning on the job! How on earth you have 12 slots and you are in the middle of nowhere, and you only interviewed 33 applicants??? Even programs at top tiers nationwide wont make that mistake! It's hard to believe this scenario

Last edited:
It's possible the reason they had none of their position filled (12 in total as you said) is because they forgot to submit a ROL on time, which is a match violation! This theory could be confirmed later in the season as NMRP does publish their match violators! This has happened before!

Alternatively, the PD is a new hired and he/she is learning on the job! How on earth you have 12 slots and you are in the middle of nowhere, and you only interviewed 33 applicants??? Even programs at top tiers nationwide wont make that mistake! It's hard to believe this scenario
Not submitting a rank list isn't a match violation any more than submitting a rank list with only one name on it. It's a dumb idea that only leaves you scrambling to fill your class in the SOAP, but not against the rules.

i ggot screwed over exactly the same way..excpet i had 14 places i ranked, all FM and I am an american grad...the odds of this happening were like 2%..FML

What did you wear to the interview?
I hate to say this but appearances count. Imo residency programs favor conservative attire and people who will "fit in".
If people in the residency program can actually remember what you wore that is probably not a good thing.

Did you come to the interview alone or bring a significant other?
Improper actions by a signficant other can reflect back on the candidate.

Also your name "Brownie78" makes me wonder if you were born in 1978. That would put you at 36-37 years old. If that is the case, age discrimination may be a factor.
No it is not what I wore, it was Italian black pants and jacket, white shirt leather black shoes.
Yes i am 36 (don't even look my age) and i i cannot change it. And they knew it from the start.
If i was dressed badly, stinking that morning, being rude or arrogant or weird i think i would not ask opinions. It wasn't anything obvious in my behavior or theirs.

Not submitting a rank list isn't a match violation any more than submitting a rank list with only one name on it. It's a dumb idea that only leaves you scrambling to fill your class in the SOAP, but not against the rules.

Maybe you're right to the point it applies to the applicant! Maybe not true when it comes to program cuz when i looked the 2014 NMRP match violation list, there was a surgical program who received a citation and it seems that the violation stemmed from NOT submitting a list! You should look into that yoursed in the R3 site if interested! Nonetheless, i dont think they left the ROL on purpose; it might be a matter of not certifying the list!

i ggot screwed over exactly the same way..excpet i had 14 places i ranked, all FM and I am an american grad...the odds of this happening were like 2%..FML

Sorry to hear! Any idea why? Mybe you didn't certify your list? I thought that there was problem with my ROL, but no...

Maybe you're right to the point it applies to the applicant! Maybe not true when it comes to program cuz when i looked the 2014 NMRP match violation list, there was a surgical program who received a citation and it seems that the violation stemmed from NOT submitting a list! You should look into that yoursed in the R3 site if interested! Nonetheless, i dont think they left the ROL on purpose; it might be a matter of not certifying the list!
I am almost OCD i checked my list 20 times: it had been certified!

Just speculating here, but might help ease your mind brownie78. A lot of the rural programs, tend to want to recruit residents that have significant ties to the area and/or will make a commitment to staying in the rural area after training to give back to the community. Perhaps, because of your international background- they may have assumed you wouldn't be interested in staying in a rural underserved area post-residency. Just a thought. I know in my homestate, the Rural Scholars from med-school are always promised/guaranteed the rural FM spots.

It makes sense. although i never got that impression or never said i did not want to live there forever, i loved that place and i think it showed! This is also something they read in my CV so why invite me at all?
Thank you all for responding

I am almost OCD i checked my list 20 times: it had been certified!

I am not talking about you! My initial post was speculating as to why your said program had their entire spot unfilled (12 in total)! My hypothesis was that they (PD, aPD or PC) may have forgotten to certify their list! I also stated that there was a surgical program likely in a similar situation last year, and they were cited by NMRP. Someone here disagrees and states that it shouldnt be a match violation if the program dont certify their list. I advise him to check for himself on the NMRP site

I am not talking about you! My initial post was speculating as to why your said program had their entire spot unfilled (12 in total)! My hypothesis was that they (PD, aPD or PC) may have forgotten to certify their list! I also stated that there was a surgical program likely in a similar situation last year, and they were cited by NMRP. Someone here disagrees and states that it shouldnt be a match violation if the program dont certify their list. I advise him to check for himself on the NMRP site
Sorry!
I wondered that too but if it were true they would be calling people back. Bisides even if they were in violation it won't give me this slot back!
Yes : they interviewed 33 people for 5 locations, two posts each. Yes in this site they interviewed 12 people for 2 spots (including myself )and they went totally unfilled. Either they did not certify their ROL or they ranked only a few people who got matched elsewhere. Or, like you say, they forgot, or made a mistake.
You might be right but it sounds so strange!
They didn't like me? OK but what happened to the other 11 applicants?

PS. IF the one who has to certify lists is the PC who was so sloppy with my schedule then it is possible she messed up.

PS. IF the one who has to certify lists is the PC who was so sloppy with my schedule then it is possible she messed up.

Since they only interviewed 33 applicants, it makes NO sense to have a DNR list if they have 12 slots to fill unless, of course, you behaved like a jerk, which i take your words that you did not!

DNR list, in most cases, is usually reserved when they interviewed more than the 1:10 ratio! For instance, i know a program with 6 slots to fill! They interview 100 applicants, but end up ranking 60-70 of them! Their DNR list is usually bet 30 to 40. This makes sense unless the administrators in your said program are all rookies in this!

Therefore, i am convinced that they did not certify their list unless otherwise corrected!

Yes they are in the middle of nowhere, interviewed only 33 candidates of which only 12 moved their butt to this rural program which is the most remote of all, the most distant from the capital. I heard rumors that nobody wants to go to this particular place, which i liked a lot nonetheless. Then they do not rank those people they interview which are only 12 for two slots. They did not like any of them? Was it the central university that vetoed us? Was it really a mistake? Or a strategy? Some misinformed (or schizophrenic PDs) might find it better to recruit people over the phone instead of ranking thosefor whom they payed a hotel room? Possible. If they did it on oppurpose it means they wanna fill in outside the match hoping to recruit better applicants.

Since they only interviewed 33 applicants, it makes NO sense to have a DNR list if they have 12 slots to fill unless, of course, you behaved like a jerk, which i take your words that you did not!

DNR list, in most cases, is usually reserved when they interviewed more than the 1:10 ratio! For instance, i know a program with 6 slots to fill! They interview 100 applicants, but end up ranking 60-70 of them! Their DNR list is usually bet 30 to 40. This makes sense unless the administrators in your said program are all rookies in this!

Therefore, i am convinced that they did not certify their list unless otherwise corrected!

That was what i was trying to explain the numbers do not make much sense, 12 candidates for 2 spots should all be ranked according to what most programs do.

Forgive me but i was not a jerk, at worst might have been a little shy with someone.

Yes they are in the middle of nowhere, interviewed only 33 candidates of which only 12 moved their butt to this rural program which is the most remote of all, the most distant from the capital. I heard rumors that nobody wants to go to this particular place, which i liked a lot nonetheless. Then they do not rank those people they interview which are only 12 for two slots. They did not like any of them? Was it the central university that vetoed us? Was it really a mistake? Or a strategy? Some misinformed (or schizophrenic PDs) might find it better to recruit people over the phone instead of ranking thosefor whom they payed a hotel room? Possible. If they did it on oppurpose it means they wanna fill in outside the match hoping to recruit better applicants.

Here is why i dont agree with the above! Even if the administrators didnt like any of the 33 applicants, they could have invited more applicants for interviews assuming they have a large pool of applicants to begin with! Some programs offer IV as late as mid-February!

Unless, of course, their pool of applicants consist only of the 33 people that they interviewed! That's the only scenario that makes sense! So, if that's the case, they would rather not ranking anyone of the interviewed applicants, knowing full well they could get better "quality" applicants in the SOAP who are in despair!

Here is why i dont agree with the above! Even if the administrators didnt like any of the 33 applicants, they could have invited more applicants for interviews assuming they have a large pool of applicants to begin with! Some programs offer IV as late as mid-February!

Unless, of course, their pool of applicants consist only of the 33 people that they interviewed! That's the only scenario that makes sense! So, if that's the case, they would rather not ranking anyone of the interviewed applicants, knowing full well they could get better "quality" applicants in the SOAP who are in despair!
I think that far more than 33 people applied to this program. With the number of IMGs desperate to enter residency I doubt that there was only 33 people who applied there. The 33 people are the ones they extended an invitation to, just to quote them they said: "We are very selective with extending interviews."
Yes they might get better applicants in the soap, but the best applicants are also those that would pick a better program.
By the way: they still got those too positions open!

I think that far more than 33 people applied to this program. With the number of IMGs desperate to enter residency I doubt that there was only 33 people who applied there. The 33 people are the ones they extended an invitation to, just to quote them they said: "We are very selective with extending interviews."
Yes they might get better applicants in the soap, but the best applicants are also those that would pick a better program.
By the way: they still got those too positions open!
If what you say is true, that's quite upsetting! Dont lose hope and hang in there, buddy!

Imo your answers to my questions give me some clues.
Imo your answers seem antagonistic and you seem annoyed by my questions.
If you came across the same way at an interview then it could be problematic.
If you think you are perfect then you will not correct anything for future interviews.
The key is to identify your weaknesses and work on those.
Some questions are out of place perhaps? I didn't come here to be insulted because something that i do not understand has happened to me. I did not come here to accuse anyone or to whine so grant to me the same courtesy. If i had done some huge mistake that morning i would know and not bother on a forum. I was not perfect but perfectly dressed and showered i was, and the interviews went smoothly. If you have doubts about what i say there is no purpose in discussing this. In other terms if i knew that something obviously wrong had happened i would not be here.
Also i felt offended being asked if i was dressed appropriately i think we were beyond that part, as i clearly stated that it wasn't something obvious. As for being antagonistic i didn't know you were a PD and testing mterest in your program. And if the PD were being rude and inappropriate by mentioning dresses and stuff I think i would not rank them and be quite upstet with them. Sorry i cannot tolerate rudeness.
Thank you

Last edited:
Brownie, did you participate in SOAP?
I also wonder if the problem is your grammar. I guess it is ok to not capitalize the letter "i" on forums but do you do this in correspondence with PD's?
I realize that English might not be your native language.

Brownie, did you participate in SOAP?
I also wonder if the problem is your grammar. I guess it is ok to not capitalize the letter "i" on forums but do you do this in correspondence with PD's?
I realize that English might not be your native language.
No I had my correspondence carefully edited.

If everything was as good as you say, then imo you would have matched.
Your posts have both a defensive tone and a tone of denial imo.
Most people here want to help.
Imo you do not seem to want help because you seem to believe you did nothing wrong.

I don't like your tone buddy, not the content of your responses which by the way, does not help.
You did not read the whole story, i was not the only one who did not match there.

All you can do is hope maybe something comes out of the soap or something opens in the next couple of months.. Otherwise start bettering your app for next year... REMEMBER its only five months from now until the next cycle starts again!! So don't worry you won't be out of the game for too long!! Keep working hard you just need one place to rank you high enough one year!

Well I am glad that someone edited your correspondence.
My other question, did you go into SOAP?
If so, any luck?

Lots of people have typing errors. But your posts read like someone who is not fluent in English, and comprehending what you are trying to say is a challenge in a number of your posts.
perhaps because i am responding on a forum and do not have a lot of time to do so? I am not a great writer, i admit it but i am a good spoken communicator.
Took brit test and scored 8 so i guess it must mean something.

thank you!

Well I am glad that someone edited your correspondence.
My other question, did you go into SOAP?
If so, any luck?
yes I went into SOAP and nope, no luck. I never hoped i could scramble anything anyway....